• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen What was the first time you heard of G/S/C?

Giratina ♀

what's your sign?
Years
    • Seen Jul 23, 2013
    Come on. You know the nostalgia is tempting you... (If there's a thread already like this, feel free to delete/lock/whatever.)

In my case, when I was younger and the entire world seemed to genuinely like Pokemon (meaning when I went to elementary school) one kid brought a game guide to summer camp. Since it was a small camp and everyone was sorted into age groups, almost everybody his age - including myself - was flocking around him to check it out. I, myself, was one of those people who genuinely liked Pokemon at that age, and was playing through my first Pokemon game ever: Fire Red. I don't remember exactly what the kid's game guide looked like, but it was very beat up and had a Lugia and Ho-oh on it that was among the coolest things I had ever seen (at the time). I didn't actually own a copy of the game until four or five years later, which I only had in my possession for a few months anyway, but it was awesome while it lasted.

SquirtleGirl

Pokémon: 10 years + Counting..
    Years
  • My brother borrowed Gold of his friend and let me have a go for one measly night :P

I already owned Blue so I knew about the games anyway. I got Crystal for Christmas that year ^^

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
  • I honestly can't remember first hearing about the games. I recall that shortly after Red and Blue saw their American release, some pokemon websites at the time were showing official art of next-gen pokemon and passing them off as secret pokemon in R/B...the most notorious example of this is Marill/Pikablu. It must've been around this point somewhere that I realized after some research that these were indeed pokemon from new games.

Hotaru

Nostalgia Strikes Again
    Years
    • Seen Sep 12, 2011
    I owned Red and Yellow when Gold and Silver came up, so I knew about them that way, I guess. I got up early and bought Silver on the day it was released. :D

IndigoPlateau

Captain of the Awesome Team
    Years
  • I got Pokemon Gold for my seventh birthday. First Pokemon game I ever had. After that I got Yellow, Blue, Sapphire, Emerald, Fire Red, Leaf Green, Diamond, and Platinum. In that order. :D

And, to this day, Gold remains my favorite Pokemon game.

Dunsparce

The Land Snake Pokemon
    Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    It was a Magazine some kid had a school. It was talking about the (at the time) Japan-only Pokemon Gold and Silver. It showed all 100 of the GSC Pokemon and their Japanese names(Other than the 4 or 5 of them that had been officially revealed in the US).

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • I think I found out right before they came out, along with the release of the Neo Genesis set in the TCG.

drivr3joe

Master Of Darkness
    Years
    • Seen Jun 5, 2020
    Well my friend was getting out of pokemon so he gave me his silver version. I thought it was the best until i found out about gold and crystal. I liked crystal alot better.

Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2014
    It was long ago, maybe 6 years, but i never played on console, i finally played in xbox gameboy advance emulator and it was a great game

Stellar

Minior used Cosmic Power!
    Years
  • It was probably through a commercial or a Toys 'R' Us flyer. I miss the days before I could use the internet; everything was heard about through the TV or word of mouth. Just imagine not even knowing about HG/SS until Spring, when it's released. How awesome of a surprise would that be?

magrathean

Eevee Breeder
    Years
  • One of my cousins from England came over while I was living in Florida, and she brought Gold with her. I had always been a giant Pokemon fan, but that was the first time I even knew they had made games haha. I just watched her play a little bit, it was the coolest thing I had ever seen...

Apostrophe

Everybody do the search dance!
    Years
    • Seen Nov 10, 2010
    I had never played any Pokemon game at that point. The only exposure to it I had was that obnoxious TV show that was playing in the background over the years. Then, all of the sudden, my parents came home from a garage sale with Silver version. "You're a fan of Pokemon, right?" "No!". Then I started playing and I got hooked.

dotKarma

FCs in Sig
    Years
  • I'd never played any of the games, like Apostrophe, before getting Gold. I had only watched the TV show occasionally. But my parents heard that the game was amazing and got me it for Christmas. They regretted it, though, as I had an addiction and never put it down.

MAizHxC

HG FC: 3395 8610 0902
    Years
  • I saw the commercial and also my friend had silver and gold so i decided to be different and get crystal...lol...

Back