• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen What was the most dissapointing Pokemon in Gen IV?

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
Years
  • I remember seeing Buneary and I went "Oh, it's so cute".

I decided to train one and hopefully raise its happiness to get a Lopunny but then... I found myself losing happiness rather than gaining it cos I found my poor Buneary falling so easily.

Yeah, what a letdown was that!

I also loved Lumineon's design but it stats really are garbage.
    In one of my run-throughs, I captured and trained a bguneary and it proved to be quite the team member! I didn't have nay problems with it at all, except for the occasional lower level like all of my party members eventually experiences at some point in the game.

Ciax

Ledian Used Starlight!
    Years
  • I also have used a Buneary to great succes, in my first run through of Diamond she was what I would call my wildcard, with a multitude of different attacks. I find Lopunny as an incredibly usefull pokemon.

To answer the topic, probably the biggest dissapointment to me was Ambipom. His wacky appearance coupled with a dissapointing move set just made him not live up to my expectations.

s0nido

turn up the engine
    Years
  • The Pokemon introduced in gen4 were actually better than expected, or at least heaps better than the Pokemon introduced in Black and White. I don't remember being especially disappointed with any Pokemon in gen4. Maybe I should play through Platinum again to refresh my memory~

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
  • I liked a lot of the new-for-Gen IV Pokemon, but thought the Shellos/Gastrodon line was very, very overrated. Especially considering that Cynthia had one in her DP team, and it's barely a glorified Quagsire, let alone a glorified Whiscash/Swampert. That one was definitely a disappointment. And out of all the evolutions of previous Gen Pokemon, Ambipom was definitely the most useless and disappointing. I forgot it even existed before looking at Bulbapedia, it's made that much of an impression on me! :D

Demon.

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
    Years
    • Seen Jun 20, 2018
    I dislike a good majority of the 4th gen pokemon. The water and grass type starters, starly, bidoof, pachirisu, finneon, carnivine, and im not a huge fan of magmortar and tangrowth and magnezone. Phione and manaphy were disappointing legendaries.

Snowdrop

Back and ready to babble!
    Years
  • Krickitune, it's design is hideous to say the least and its not too useful in battle. Ugly little thing, bleck. I wasn't too fond of the evolutions of Rhydon and Magmar, but I can't say now that I'm really disappointed in them. Another one is Ambipom, again its design is hideous (IMO, I know a lot of people like this one no offense). While 4th Gen is probably my least favorite gen as far as the Pokemon themselves go I wasn't too terribly disappointed. ^^

Pretor54

Dunsparce needs an evo
    Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2012
    For me, I didn't found a pet-able pokémon (like Spheal, Dunsparce, Wooper), Pokétch was annoying, and....the way Lucas walked was....weird

Years
    • Seen Sep 13, 2012
    Magnezone and Rhyperior. They could have done so much better with a third evolution for these guys.
    And all the Legendaries. I don't personally dislike the Legendaries, but the fact that they made so many annoyed me.

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
    Years
  • Magnezone and Rhyperior. They could have done so much better with a third evolution for these guys.
    And all the Legendaries. I don't personally dislike the Legendaries, but the fact that they made so many annoyed me.

Do you mean, better third evolutions of Magnemite and Rhydon?

Yeah I agree with the legendaries point. Many of them I liked their designs, but I felt that because there were so many, the 'mystery and specialty' of the pokemon themselves disappeared.

Kanto_Johto

Never glimpse the truth
    Years
  • I felt many of the new evolutions were unnecessary, particularly Rhyperior and Magnezone. Also, whilst Probopass was necessary, its design is bad, in my opinion.

I also didn't like most of the legendaries and thought they introduced way too many. I disliked the fact that legendaries with genders (Heatran) and legendaries that can breed (Manaphy/Phione) were introduced, too. This is conceptually speaking, though, since I don't use legendaries in battle.

Pokemon Trainer UV

Attractively foolish
    Years
  • Manaphy, Phione, Shaymin, Cresselia, Darkrai, and Arceus were all very very unnecessary, and pretty lame.

Arceus - Pretty bad design, supposed to be "God" yet caught by a child, and was at level 80, I expect "God" to be level 100.

Manaphy and Phione - Both of them absolutely pointless.

Shaymin - Pointless too.

Darkrai - I really hate Darkrai, in case you didn't notice my rants in the Overrated/Underrated Pokemon thread.

Cresselia - I just don't like it.. it was pretty pointless as well.

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
    Years
  • You know I like Manaphy and Phione, I just don't like the idea that they're so like one another. (Although, I really don't know if they're related; if they are excuse me then. :P) But yeah, I think they really just copied and pasted the concept of eachother and added a few differences, which for me wasn't enough to make them entirely interesting.

Kanto_Johto

Never glimpse the truth
    Years
  • You know I like Manaphy and Phione, I just don't like the idea that they're so like one another. (Although, I really don't know if they're related; if they are excuse me then. :P) But yeah, I think they really just copied and pasted the concept of eachother and added a few differences, which for me wasn't enough to make them entirely interesting.
    I'd say Manaphy and Phione are technically related since Phione is Manaphy's offspring, which is my reason for disliking them. Legendaries shouldn't be able to breed.

ZetaZaku

AEUG Pilot
    Years
  • ^If I'm not mistaken, Manaphy is one of it's kind. Whenever you breed it, you always get Phione, which is a weaker version of it.

Back