• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen What'd you name your rival?

Ceilidh

<3
Years
  • Jake... because... I like the name Jake =))
    I did the exact same thing.
    As a child, I was rather stupid.
    I actually thought that you'd find out his true name later on
    lmao I done the same at first =)) I thought I was the only one.

JakeyBoy

Riddle me this
    Years
  • Jake... because... I like the name Jake =))

Oh, jeez, thanks! (My first post. Total coincidence :S)

I always change the names. In Red, Yellow and Gold, I named them James, James Jr. and James Sr. mainly because of the anime Rocket member, but there were other reasons.

I started Red a while back because I was 'experimenting' with MissingNo, trying to get more information on him. I was on a Xat chat page, and at the moment I had to choose the rivals name, someone mentioned their name was Dylan, so I went for it.

Clairissa

Shining brilliantly!
    Years
  • I always named him Gary in RBY and Matt in GSC, Matt was the name of my friend and I never knew what the Rival's real name in G2 was...

Felix Re-Knoll

NoN-Believer
    Years
  • In R/B/Y, I named him Red (ironically) because I got Blue version first and liked it the best. :D

In G/S/C, I named him Matt at first, because he was this kid that lived near me that I didn't like. He moved away, and after that, in G/S/C, whenever I played them over again, I'd name him Silver... Uncreative, I know...

In D/P, I named him Jeff after my best friend, who are both surprisingly similar.... Even the messy blonde hair...

ectoskeletal

Alive in the Superunknown
    Years
  • In R/B/Y, I normally named him Gary, but have named him some other things (that I don't remember) as well. In my current Red save file, I believe his name is Blue.

In G/S/C, I always named him ??? because that's what he told me his name was in the beginning. :P But I recently started a new Gold save file, and named him Silver.

Editman

Pokemon Collector
    Years
    • Seen Mar 30, 2014
    In every Pokemon game i've named my Rival

Either Juan or Ace (if i named them Juan then my trainers name was ace)

When I play the Advance Generation games and I use the girl, The Rivals name is always Ace

They are also characters in my fanfic ;) check it out if you have time

Heather

Years
    • Seen Jul 17, 2021
    LOL! I remember the first time I played Crystal I named my rival ??? because thats what it said the first time I battled him. Now his name is Peter because theres a smart guy in my class named Peter and I'm trying to be smarter than him.

LOL i know that sounds stupid...

BenjiTheKid

Cooltrainer Benji
    Years
  • When I was young, on the color generation games, I would just name him Gary or Blue. But, as I got older I took the time to think up names. I'd name him Tony or John or any normal names. But, then I got lazy and I started naming him stupid things like Stupid or Butt. Once I even got really lazy and just named him AAA.

luigirulze

Australia's Biggest Luigi Nerd
    Years
    • Seen May 24, 2010
    In R/B/Y i named my rival Scotty, after my actual friend in real life, but always seems to be one step ahead of me just like in the games.

In G/S/C i named my rival Roche who again is my friend in real life, but looks exactly like silver and has a similar attitude, plus im waaaaayyyyy superior!

Years
    • Seen Oct 16, 2011
    In my current game of red, I named him Bubbles. <_< Dunno why, I just like giving my rival silly names.

System!

HM....................... .....
    Years
  • When my brother was playing Silver, he thought the rival was a girl so he named "her" Lisa. Since my brother couldn't really figure out how to play the game (or was bored of it), he gave it to me. I restarted the game and named the rival Silver, because I was uncreative at the moment. On my Yellow version I named my rival ***face because I was mad at him for taking Eevee (I didn't know you could still get Eevee in the game...).

Lightey

The Night Owl
    Years
    • Seen Feb 28, 2016
    Silver: ???
    He said that's what it was.

Crystal: ???

FireRed: Gary
    Diamond: Tyson

Maesic

It almost sounds like music..
    Years
    • Seen Feb 26, 2013
    I also named him "???" since that's what he said. o_o I was hoping the police would get him but they never did. D: And then after that, I think I named him after my brother.

Back