• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Dubbed] What's going on with the English Dub THIS TIME? (help? I guess?)

The Mega Champion

Strategist
Years
So... apparently... something is going on with the english dub of the Pokemon Sun & Moon anime AGAIN.

Someone on another forum stated that there will be no new episode Memorial Day weekend (this past weekend), this week, or June 9th as a new episode is not listed.

I'm not sure where Serebii.net got the episode title but not even Wikipedia has the english title for the next episode or a premiere date.

2 hiatus' did NOT happen for the english dub Sun & Moon anime last year IIRC. Though I could be wrong and I just don't remember.

So does anyone know what's going on with it this time? Why is there a second hiatus? Is it going to be another ridiculous long hiatus as before?

It's possible that Disney XD doesn't like the ratings it's getting. I don't know the ratings the english dub of Sun & Moon is getting but considering all the complaints the Sun & Moon anime gets I suppose I shouldn't be surprised. I understand the frustration though. I really do.

Honestly... it's probably the worst season of Pokemon in a VERY long time. Possibly the worst season of Pokemon ever. But I keep watching it because that's just what I do. I support the english dubbed anime. It's pretty much ripping off a lot of things from Yo Kai Watch, because for whatever reason, they thought that would help the show succeed more. They couldn't have been more wrong and whoever came up with that idea needs to be Superman Punched. Or Fired. Or both.

It makes me think that DisneyXD is tired of the bad ratings and may have quietly canceled the Sun & Moon english dub. At least for the U.S. I don't know about other countries.

Regardless... anyone know what the hell is going on with the english dub THIS TIME as the question in the topic title asks?

Any ideas, theories, or help with this would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Last edited:
Years
I heard it seems to just be a hiatus and that Disney XD probably wants to promote other shows, since the timeslot that new Pokemon episodes had been airing in is getting replaced by the new series Big Hero 6, but at the moment it's just Phineas & Ferb reruns from what I heard.

I don't understand why you believe it's due to low ratings. I never heard much about the ratings figures other than the Japanese airings. Also, there will be no new episode on June 16th, instead being a rerun of SM046 so it's clear they're just doing reruns and that Season 21 is on break.

Last edited:

CodeHelmet

Banned
Years
Has nothing to do with ratings but has more to do with the fact it's Disney. They aired the Kanto Episodes back in December before going on a Winter break. Then they did a massive marathon to open Season 2 wherein they showed 8 Episodes over the span of about a week(1 Episode a day from March 24th to March 31st) and then 1 Episode a week until May 19th when Episode 58 aired. Now with the Summer in full swing, they did a Phineas and Ferb marathon because the show caters around how they spent their Summer vacation(and the show is actually one of their better series). It also appears they intend to air one program a week in marathon format to eat up the bulk of the time but Big Hero 6 is slated to debut June 9th in Sun&Moon's 9am time slot. This means that Sun and Moon is going on a Summer hiatus wherein they'll do a repeat of what they did to open the 2nd season of the English dub when it returns in the late Summer/early Fall. Speaking of the 2nd season, I anticipate it going to Episode 72 or Mallow's Brothers Episode before going on break again before Season 3 premieres with the Ula'Ula arc in late 2018 or early 2019.

*Edit*

I'll also like to add that Movie#20 debuted on Disney XD right around the time Season 20 was slated to end(aka Season 1 of Sun&Moon. They aired Episode 42 a week early for the movie's debut on the 25th of November and then did Episode 43 on its regularly scheduled day on the 9th(of December) while they re-aired the movie and I believe Episode 42 on the 2nd(of December)). Seeing as the English dub is going on hiatus, may I ask when Movie#21 is slated to be released in Japan? Odds are they'll repeat what they did last time wherein the end of Season 21(aka season 2 of Sun&Moon) will coincide with Movie#21 airing on Disney XD. Which then points to Season 3 airing sometime in 2019(like January as opposed to late March).

Meaning... *beats dead horse* Generation VIII of the Anime in English likely won't occur until LATE 2019 or 2020 if and only if they intend to do three English seasons(still on Season 1 of Japanese heh). What they intend to cover I have no freaking idea. Its nothing like the games and about all we can almost guarantee to happen is Necrozma and Hapu have to appear at some point. Which means that if any past characters are to make another appearance(*Cough* Serena, Brock or Misty *Cough* Dawn, May and Iris are extremely unlikely), its going to happen in Season 3 of the English dub or not at all.

Last edited:
Years
I'll also like to add that Movie#20 debuted on Disney XD right around the time Season 20 was slated to end(aka Season 1 of Sun&Moon. They aired Episode 42 a week early for the movie's debut on the 25th of November and then did Episode 43 on its regularly scheduled day on the 9th(of December) while they re-aired the movie and I believe Episode 42 on the 2nd(of December)). Seeing as the English dub is going on hiatus, may I ask when Movie#21 is slated to be released in Japan? Odds are they'll repeat what they did last time wherein the end of Season 21(aka season 2 of Sun&Moon) will coincide with Movie#21 airing on Disney XD. Which then points to Season 3 airing sometime in 2019(like January as opposed to late March).

Meaning... *beats dead horse* Generation VIII of the Anime in English likely won't occur until LATE 2019 or 2020 if and only if they intend to do three English seasons(still on Season 1 of Japanese heh). What they intend to cover I have no freaking idea. Its nothing like the games and about all we can almost guarantee to happen is Necrozma and Hapu have to appear at some point. Which means that if any past characters are to make another appearance(*Cough* Serena, Brock or Misty *Cough* Dawn, May and Iris are extremely unlikely), its going to happen in Season 3 of the English dub or not at all.

It's in July that the Japanese release for M21 will happen (since Japan always releases the annual movie in July). Besides, the dub seems to have stuck to a three season format for every generation since BW. OS went for five dubbed seasons, and four each for AG and DP.

So basically, Season 22 will be the last dubbed season for SM, while 8th Gen will start with Season 23.

Last edited:

CodeHelmet

Banned
Years
It's in July that the Japanese release for M21 will happen (since Japan always releases the annual movie in July). Besides, the dub seems to have stuck to a three season format for every generation since BW. OS went for five dubbed seasons, and four each for AG and DP.

So basically, Season 22 will be the last dubbed season for SM, while 8th Gen will start with Season 23.

Yet if I'm right about Season 21 ending at Episode 72, Season 21 will earn the title as the shortest English dubbed season to date at 29 Episodes. Orange Islands arc of Season 2 has held the title at 36 Episodes, so that's saying something no? No idea how long Season 22 will be but we're up to 78 or 6 Episodes, hence I'd estimate another 30+ Episodes or roughly 120 Episodes(shortest damn series I've ever seen).

We'll know more in the coming weeks as to when Season 21 is likely to end due to when the Japanese dub's season will end. They've yet to announce 79 onward so it may be ending at 78.

Last edited:
Years
Yet if I'm right about Season 21 ending at Episode 72, Season 21 will earn the title as the shortest English dubbed season to date at 29 Episodes. Orange Islands arc of Season 2 has held the title at 36 Episodes, so that's saying something no? No idea how long Season 22 will be but we're up to 78 or 6 Episodes, hence I'd estimate another 30+ Episodes or roughly 120 Episodes(shortest damn series I've ever seen).

We'll know more in the coming weeks as to when Season 21 is likely to end due to when the Japanese dub's season will end. They've yet to announce 79 onward so it may be ending at 78.

SM078 would be a more logical end for Season 21. Being under 30 episodes will be way too short for a PokeAni season, and besides the seasons tended to be around 40-something episodes long since Season 14 (first dubbed BW season).

CodeHelmet

Banned
Years
Hmm then if its Episode 78 then the season will be 35 Episodes, which is STILL shorter than Orange Islands arc of Season 2. Which means they'll likely start on September 8th and do a repeat of what they did to open the season by airing 8 Episodes over a 7 day period(Episode 59 to 66 from September 8th to 15th). 67 would then air on the 22nd, 68 on 29th, 69 on 10/6, 70 on 10/13, 71 on 10/20, 72 on 10/27, 73 on 11/3, 74 on 11/10, 75 on 11/17 and 76&77(along with Movie#21 perhaps?) on 11/24. Repeat 77 and Movie#21 following week(12/1) before finishing season with Episode 78 on 12/8. Then they go on Winter break/holiday(doing re-runs if they so choose) and Season 22 picks up with Episode 79 in March of 2019 and will end in December of that year(with another Summer break/hiatus likely in the middle of it).

Which means Season 23 will be in 2020 with regards to the English dub. Obviously will see it long before then in Japanese dub. Real question is whether it will be Generation VIII. No idea if Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee is the actual Generation VIII game or simply a stand alone sequel remake of Kanto/Generation 1.

Last edited:

The Mega Champion

Strategist
Years
I don't know. I guess I was making too many assumptions due to how many complaints I've seen about the S/M anime on this forum.

It's just irregular because I'm pretty sure there was no second hiatus last year.

It really doesn't matter either way though. Even if I don't like it (which I don't). I'm just going to have to wait for new episodes to start airing again.

=/

CodeHelmet

Banned
Years
I don't know. I guess I was making too many assumptions due to how many complaints I've seen about the S/M anime on this forum.

It's just irregular because I'm pretty sure there was no second hiatus last year.

It really doesn't matter either way though. Even if I don't like it (which I don't). I'm just going to have to wait for new episodes to start airing again.

=/

You'd be correct in that there was no mid-season break but the series didn't start until May if you exclude them airing the first 2 Episodes back in December 2016 as a sneak peak preview while XYZ was finishing up airing in English. Disney opened with Episodes 3 to 10 from May 13th to May 20th. They did 1 Episode/week until July wherein they did a Summer marathon on July 1st with Episodes 16 to 21 before going back to 1 Episode/week for 22 to 26. They took a week break before airing Edgelord(Episode 27) on August 19th. Then they stuck to a 1 Episode/week schedule all the way up to 11/25 where they showed Episodes 41 and 42 along with Movie#20. They re-aired the movie and Episode 42 the following week(12/2) and finished the season off at Episode 43 on 12/9.

They went on Winter break before starting back up again in March(3/24 to be exact with 8 Episodes(Episodes 44 to 51 from 3/24 to 3/31)). The fact they started so late with Season 20 and the fact Season 21 is shorter is why Disney is opting to take a break from airing new Episodes over the Summer. If Hikamaru is correct that the Japanese dub will be pausing at 78 means that our 2nd English Dub season(Season 21) will only be 35 Episodes long.

Hence compare both English Dub seasons:

Season 20: 43 Episodes, start date: May 13th
Season 21: 35 Episodes, start date: March 24th

Season 21 started 7 weeks earlier and has 8 fewer Episodes(another 8 weeks). That means Disney going on Holiday is all but expected as 15 weeks is exactly how long it is between May 19th and September 8th wherein they'll start back up again. They'll likely have another 1 Episode/day or Episodes 59 to 66 from 9/8 to 9/15 and then do 1 Episode/week all the way until 11/24 wherein they'll show Episodes 76 and 77 along with Movie#21. They'll repeat what they did this past Winter where they'll re-air Movie#21 along with Episode 77 the following week(12/1) and finish the Season with Episode 78 on 12/8. Then we'll have another holiday where depending on the length of Season 23 will determine when we start up again. If its 42 Episodes long(to make it an even 120 for the series), I'd peg Season 23 to start up again sometime in late February/early March depending on when they intend to air Episodes(likely March or March 16th since Disney likes to open Seasons in bunches).

Last edited:

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
Years

=/

If I recall, we had 2 marathons last year for Pokemon Anime. One of them was in July.

My guess it that they are taking a break from June and when July starts back, they will have another large marathon of new episodes. Because it didn't start till May Pokemon Sun and Moon was kinda one of its premiers for June last year.

Disney is vastly different from what we are used to, so it seems odd. But this is a pretty common occurrence for Disney XD. We will probably have a 10 or so episode marathon throughout the week and then it will start back to normal in the second week of July. This will almost catch us up with the Japanese showings.

Ratings don't really effect show time and they aren't just going to cancel it out of the blue. Most people on here may not like it, but there is still a large community that does like it. A lot of people like it even more than XY and XYZ because it is how it is.

Last edited:

The Mega Champion

Strategist
Years
If I recall, we had 2 marathons last year for Pokemon Anime. One of them was in July.

My guess it that they are taking a break from June and when July starts back, they will have another large marathon of new episodes. Because it didn't start till May Pokemon Sun and Moon was kinda one of its premiers for June last year.

Disney is vastly different from what we are used to, so it seems odd. But this is a pretty common occurrence for Disney XD. We will probably have a 10 or so episode marathon throughout the week and then it will start back to normal in the second week of July. This will almost catch us up with the Japanese showings.

Ratings don't really effect show time and they aren't just going to cancel it out of the blue. Most people on here may not like it, but there is still a large community that does like it. A lot of people like it even more than XY and XYZ because it is how it is.

I really hate that though.

I seriously do not understand why they can't just air one new episode a week like Cartoon Network did.

CodeHelmet

Banned
Years
http://maskedkitsune.tumblr.com/post/174570911904/starting-from-june-18-pokemon-the-series-sun

Looks like S21 of the English dub is resuming, at the new timeslots of 6:00pm and 2:30am.

Yeah, Big Hero 6 is airing on regular Disney as opposed to Disney XD. Sometimes I really need to read the fineprint or pay attention to the TV commercials. If they're resuming on Monday June 18th at 6pm(as opposed to Saturday) means that the Anime(if they go 1 Episode/week) would finish mid November. Therefore the Japanese Dub has more to go or there will be a few breaks sprinkled in to extend it into December like last time.

The Mega Champion

Strategist
Years
http://maskedkitsune.tumblr.com/post/174570911904/starting-from-june-18-pokemon-the-series-sun

Looks like S21 of the English dub is resuming, at the new timeslots of 6:00pm and 2:30am.

WTF?!

This makes even less sense. If this is truly when new episodes will be airing, I will no longer be able to watch them live. I will have to record it and watch it at a later time.

DisneyXD is either trying to kill this show or I was right and the english dub is doing dismally.

:pouting:

Years
WTF?!

This makes even less sense. If this is truly when new episodes will be airing, I will no longer be able to watch them live. I will have to record it and watch it at a later time.

DisneyXD is either trying to kill this show or I was right and the english dub is doing dismally.

There's a chance they may be just airing reruns at this stage of the already-aired episodes and then air more of the new dub episodes in a marathon-like setting across the week since the new timeslot seems to span every day.

The Mega Champion

Strategist
Years
There's a chance they may be just airing reruns at this stage of the already-aired episodes and then air more of the new dub episodes in a marathon-like setting across the week since the new timeslot seems to span every day.

I still don't like when they do that. Just air one new episode a week like Cartoon Network did.

Guest123_x1

Given that Disney XD is putting Pokémon on yet another hiatus and then moving it to an extremely inconvenient timeslot (sort of like Cartoon Network previously did with the Kalos era), I'm actually beginning to wonder if TPCI just 'automatically' gave the Pokémon anime to Disney XD, without giving the opportunity for other networks or syndication distributors to put in bids. (In other words, Disney XD was automatically 'given' the television rights to the anime in what is commonly known as a "no-bid contract".)

CodeHelmet

Banned
Years
Although the change in day and time is a bit puzzling, its not uncommon for Disney to have shows debut new Episodes on Monday(Star Wars Rebels comes to mind). In any case, it doesn't look like Serena is coming back for Sun&Moon, hence extending the Pokegirl streak Iris started. Granted I could be wrong but we've hit 81 Episodes without any hint of her returning. Could she return post Hapu and Poni Island? Possibly as that is what Dawn did after Ash won his 8th Unova badge.

Basically in a holding pattern right now and I just wish they'd come right out and say a definitive Yes or No on the Serena returning question.

The Mega Champion

Strategist
Years
Given that Disney XD is putting Pokémon on yet another hiatus and then moving it to an extremely inconvenient timeslot (sort of like Cartoon Network previously did with the Kalos era), I'm actually beginning to wonder if TPCI just 'automatically' gave the Pokémon anime to Disney XD, without giving the opportunity for other networks or syndication distributors to put in bids. (In other words, Disney XD was automatically 'given' the television rights to the anime in what is commonly known as a "no-bid contract".)

Exactly. They are trying to kill the show and cancel it.

Just like the english dub of Yo Kai Watch. New episodes of that have yet to air for an entire year now, meaning it's likely canceled.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
Disney always randomly puts their shows on hiatus....I can't say I'm really surprised. But, it seems as people have stated above me, it's coming back at a new timeslot.

Honestly, I don't trust Disney with Pokemon.... I'm tired of their bs.

Back