• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Whats the best Pokemon Gold Starter pokemon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wordy

Gold Version is the best.
    Years
    Hey guys,

Im new here to apologiz if this is in the wrong section.

Im going on holiday soon so i thought id bring back the old gold version to have a play with.

I was wondering, what is the best Starter pokemon for gold version. I used to use cyndaquil, Sandshrew and Slowbro.

But can anyone suggest a better starter line-up without me having to do any trading?

Thanks in advance.

Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Mar 29, 2019
    The easiest starter is cyndiquil, no doubt. It almost makes the game too easy as long as you snag a thunder punch TM from the Goldenrod department store. It learns a variety of moves for type coverage and can quickly blitz through the game. I think doing so is kinda boring, but if you want a quick and easy win with a strong pokemon, cyndiquil is a great choice.

Totodile is very useful and can learn great physical as well as special attacks, meaning no kind of defense can stand it's power. Although there are better water types out there later in the game, if you want an aquatic buddy from the get go and more of a challenge than cyndiquil, totodile makes a good starter.

If you want more of a challenge, go with chikorita. Chikorita can be very helpful to your team with reflect and light screen and is quite sturdy. It doesn't pack quite as much of a punch as the other two starters, but can be very reliable if you need some extra turns to use potions on your other battlers. It learns poison powder early on which is very helpful. Choosing chikorita 'forces' you to raise a balanced team because of its disadvantage against most gyms, which in my opinion makes the game a longer and a more enjoyable experience.

Once you get your starter figured out, you can choose your other members. Of course this is completely up to you, but I prefer to have one pokemon of each 'basic' type (one water, grass, and fire). Something that learns electric moves can also be helpful. If you can do without not having access to fly all the time, then you shouldn't catch one of the early bird pokemon, they are pretty weak. A ground type (such as sandslash) is also quite useful. I usually buy a cubone at the goldenrod game corner because of its high defense and being able to use a ground type move early on without a TM. Once you get far in the game, if you can nab a thick club item with thief off of a wild cubone in rock tunnel and give it to yours, it's attack power in battle will sky rocket. So, thats all the advice I have to give, hope it helped you in some way.

Skaterzpenguin

Vulpix!? In my backyard!? :D
    Years
    • WI
    • Seen Feb 14, 2013
    Totodile and Cyndaquil are the best bets, but if you want the game to be a little challenge against gym leaders or w/e... pick chikortita, bc the 3 first gym leaders are tough for it, so idk... I say pick totodile for your starter! =]

Years
    • Seen May 31, 2009
    Cyndaquil in my opinion. It handles all of the Gyms well, except for the last one, and that's easy since Typhlosion will be strong enough to solo the Gym by then. It decimates Pryce and Jasmine, which is nice.

Guillermo

i own a rabbit heh
    Years
    Cyndaquil owns all haha, Typholosion will just about dominate the E4 when it is used properly so yea go Cyndaquil

Wordy

Gold Version is the best.
    Years
    What level is your Typholosion if it dominates the elite 4?

I like to have a line up of around 4 pokemon maybe 5 of all the same level.

Master Jecht

Hmmm..
    Years
    I always chose Totodile. You can easily sweep the elite 4 with a Feraligator. All you need is Ice beam, dynamic punch, surf, and earthquake. All the gyms are pretty easy because there are no electric or grass type ones. The only hard part is bellsprout tower ><

Ramengan

16-foot Poliwag
    Years
    • Seen May 1, 2011
    The only hard part is bellsprout tower ><
    O_o I've never thought of Sprout Tower as hard, and I usually pick Totodile. Just catch a Pidgey or Hoothoot and raise it a couple levels and you should be perfectly fine.

I prefer Totodile, but Cyndaquil's your best bet for a quick game, and Chikorita's there if you want a challenge, as everyone else said.

EDIT: Oops, appears this thread's older than I thought.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Feb 4, 2009
    I think chikorita is good.Chikorita + a well trained sentret or hoothoot can help you win easily.>-Oology

What level is your Typholosion if it dominates the elite 4?

I like to have a line up of around 4 pokemon maybe 5 of all the same level.

try :level 100 snorlax holding: leftovers (health regen)level 73 feraligatr holding: nowtlevel 54 lugia holding: nowtlevel 76 ho-oh holding: sacred ash (just incase)level 90 pikachu holding: exp share (for the lvl 5)level 5 (anything) holding: revive

Last edited:

Aurafire

provider of cake
    Years
    Cyndaquil without a doubt. Most power, easiest to use. Chikorita is more a wall, which isn't really important when beating the game. Totodile would be my second choice

Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2013
    Cyndaquil is comparable to Bulbasaur in RBY. Very easy to start with, Bellsprout Tower and the Bug gym will fall easily. Similarly, Bulbasaur can easily wipe Brock and Misty.

Chikorita is cimilar to Charmander. The first two gyms are horrible for you - Flying type and Bug type. Similar to Charmander having to face Rock and Water first. Remember how much you had to struggle with Charmander? (But it was worth it). Until they cheapified it by giving him Metal Claw that is. I have a bias to the Pokemon that learns Scratch so Totodile is a good choice too.

A lot of the gyms succumb to Fire type, Bug, Steel, Ice, etc.....so Typhlosion will get you through the game well.

Yuoaman

I don't know who I am either.
    Years
    Ummm... Usually Cyndaquil, 'cause I'm lazy...

But my favorite is Totodile, he's just so freakin' awesome!

Superjub

Pokémon Aureolin
    Years
    I'd say Chikorita for its cuteness XD
    But, if you want a starter which can beat the leaders with ease, pick Cyndaquil.
    Cyndaquil: Easy
    Totadile: Medium
    Chikorita: Hard
    Hope I helped. :)

Years
    • Seen Oct 28, 2009
    i would say tododile and Cyndaquil tododile is a strong water type that has an advanteg on eveyone if u train him right but but Cyndaquil has an advantag on every gymbut the last but if you wear good enouf to ge ther she should be a brezz but yeah id say tododile

Limey-chan

Batzu
    Years
    Wow, that's one heck of a bump right there O.O

But anyways, to answer your question they'll all got advantages and disadvantages just like in Red and Blue
    Chikorita
    * Weak against the first two gym leaders, so would need a lot of training
    * Weak against a lot of Pokémon on the first 2 routes (Which feature flying and bug Pokémon)

Cyndaquil
    * The most popular starter, some people pick Cyndaquil purely for the fact his final evolution is Typhlosion
    * Strong against Buggsy, but Falkner's Pidgeotto knows Mud-Slap which is super-effective against Cyndaquil
    * Good against the Pokémon on the early routes and you can level Cynda up quite quickly in Sprout Tower

Totodile
    * Holds his own against the first two leaders
    * Similarly, isn't ineffective or super-effective against the early Pokémon. Wouldn't recommend training him in Sprout Tower, but Dark Cave is always an option

So to summarise, only people who know what they're doing should pick Chikorita as it's harder to level up. Totodile is a reasonable choice, his evolved forms are strong but suffer from weak movesets imo, however he's useful for his ability to learn Whirlpool/Surf/Waterfall. Cyndaquil is a popular choice and just about edges it based on his effectiveness against Buggsy plus the fact you can level him up quickly.

Hope that helps people ^_^

Immortal_one

Math is power.
    Years
    In all the other games, I prefer the water type, although in the G/S/C generation, my favorite one, I had to choose Cyndaquil. I loved it's power and Typhlosion is just amazing. I haven't done much moveset/EV research on it, mostly because there's no legit way to get it on the D/P/Pt generation, but I will as soon as they remake the second generation :P

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back