• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen What's wrong with the 3rd gen?

Years
    It's not realistic because generally, on Earth, you aren't crossing the Pacific ocean to get to that tiny little island, then crossing it again to get to another little island, and staying out in the ocean boating for days and days. Major areas of Earth aren't on islands; they're on the mainland!

When people see Pokemon, unless they've looked up on Bulbapedia about it being based off of Japan, they imagine an Earth similar to theirs filled with Pokemon. On Earth, we go on relaxing cruises, but how many people, other than sailors, spend a crapload of their lives on the water?

See? It's not realistic. We aren't talking about the percent of the earth's volume in land and water; we're talking about the reality of being on water for a crapload of time to travel to place to place. Maybe 400 years ago when there weren't planes to get around lol and we all know that Pokemon has the Bullet Train in Goldenrod, and the Speedboat from Bill, so why not use that to get to those pesky islands instead? In reality, would YOU be swimming or rowboating from island to island in Japan? You'd take a plane. Or an underwater train. Or a speedboat. You wouldn't be out there on a rowboat boating for three days, unless you're poor as Hell.

I certainly don't imagine Japan when I imagine Pokemon; Pokemon is its own world. It may have been influenced by the Japanese country, but heck, they could've nicked it to not have so much space BETWEEN the islands and perhaps make more routes on the islands themselves, rather than forcing us to use Surf the entire time.

Was the water honestly that bad? I takes at most 20 minutes to go through every town and city, without using fly, including the water routes which means it probably takes 5-10 minutes to get through all the water not three days lol. And I'v heard a lot of people (not in this topic) complaining that they took dive out in Gen 4 and that there wasn't a big enough dive route. To those people who complain about too much water and not enough dive routes, You need water to dive! lol

Serene Grace

Pokémon Trainer
    Years
    This thread, while being valid, is aimed at Johto specifically so I'll move it over to the Advanced Generation Games forums.

Kotowari

Will be back eventually
    Years
    I personally didn't really like the Pokemon that came with the Hoenn region..Their design just didn't...capture me.

That's what I had with the Sinnoh Region.

But anyways.

I've started replaying Emerald last week, and neither this game nor Sapphire, I dislike. The graphics are colourful, bright and happy... I kinda miss the night/day system, but besides that no complaints about the Hoenn Region.
    There is indeed a lot of water, and it sometimes bothers me.
    I liked the introduction of contests, Secret Bases, Pokéblocks and the Battle Frontier. What I do dislike is that they left out the early contest halls in Emerald, since they were all replaced with Battle Tents.

The majority of Hoenn Pokémon is quite alright, imo. They came with more double typed Pokémon like Blaziken and Swampert. I quite liked them.

I found it quite good what they did with Team Aqua and Team Magma. It was an original storyline that went beyond the "evil organisation wants to take over the world"-plot.
    And I really liked how they combined Ruby and Sapphire to come up with the epic battle in Emerald starring Rayquaza.
    You don't hear me complain about Hoenn. Yes, Johto is my favourite region, then come Hoenn and Kanto, and then Sinnoh.

NiKaNoRoU

we are but particles
    Years
    Noting was wrong about it for me. The only thing that would irritate me would be the tree tiles and overworlds. It was a great experience.

Also, note that the 'negative' opinion can come out of people that might have played FR/LG first and then R/S/E. Yes. It leaves a bitter-something if you do that.

P.S: WHAT? WATER ROUTES? C'mon. That was something innovative. Water everywhere, so what? what if you lived on an island? It's AS EXCITING. :[

~Hot n' Cold~

is too good for a title.
    Years
    In my opinion...
    nothing.

Hoenn to me is totally awesome. It [back in the day] had amazing graphics and totally owned FireRed and LeafGreen. I still play it more often than D/P/Pt. I think that the gym leaders and Elite Four have appropriate levels and the Pokémon brought in in that generation were totally awesome. All 3 starters are pretty smashing.

The only think I hate about it is May or Brendan. They never evolve their starter, and all the way through the game their Pokémon are underleveled. If they do make a remake, they should make the game a little more challenging.

Also, the Battle Tower is beast.

;)

Christopher

Hear Me Roar
    Years
    I love Hoenn it was a great region but it did lack good training spots and the Vs Seekers would not have hurt other than that it was great

SquirtleGirl

Pokémon: 10 years + Counting..
    Years
    I liked Hoenn. It wasnt my favourite Gen. cause Water Routes are annoying for me, but some of the feautres like Pacifidolg town, the Underwater areas and and twin gym leaders were good. the towns were the most imaginative out of all the series I thought. :)

Years
    It completely destroyed any ties to the past games. GSC were sequels to the originals. RSE seemed as though they were starting over and that nothing from the first two generations mattered at all.

At least that's what I thought.

Fli

Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2011
    Also, note that the 'negative' opinion can come out of people that might have played FR/LG first and then R/S/E. Yes. It leaves a bitter-something if you do that.

Just wanted to say that I did play Fr like 4 times before I even touched E and Fr was my first game. I liked them both equally.

It completely destroyed any ties to the past games. GSC were sequels to the originals. RSE seemed as though they were starting over and that nothing from the first two generations mattered at all.

At least that's what I thought.

Personally, I liked the no-ties thing. I never played Jhoto, so having no ties meant I had nothing that I had to worry about (such as not understanding what someone is talking about – I do like to pay attention to the script and talk to everyone).

I thought the storyline was creative and I enjoyed R/S/E so imo there wasn't anything (other than minor things, maybe) wrong with it.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
    Lv58 Bellossom and Electrode vs Lv47 rest of my team.

The route between Pacifidlog and Slateport with the currents was especially annoying. But a completionist I am, so suffer through it I did.

In addition, some of the town concepts were just bizarre. A town inside a crater? A town floating in the ocean? A town on top of trees? Creative, yes, but still bizarre.

In 3rd gen, I much preferred LG over any of the Hoenn games.

Eggie Poo Poo

OM NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM
    Years
    1. Terrible visuals that completely make it look like a new game entirely and with ugly grass and trees that could make a person vomit.

2. Horrible music tracks that sound nothing like Pokemon and really have no charm or stick in your head like the original music did.

3. A new gen of Pokemon that look like they were just made for money, GSC actually looked like they had their heart in it when they made the 151-251 Pokemon.

4. Rival that's your friend? Come on that defies all Pokemon logic.

5. Boring plot that is so agonizing and repetitive, it's just run from point A to B with no importance until you get to Sootopolis.

6. No day and night cycle? GSC had one, so it makes sense to include it in all new ones but they got lazy I guess.

7. Team Aqua and Team Magma look like kids in Halloween costumes, no where near as badass as Team Rocket was.

linkinpark187

Computer Tech
    Years
    For me.....
    The Good:

-Double Battles
    -Nature System
    -New Berry System
    -Gardevoir

The Bad:

-No Day/Night Modifier (makes getting Espeon & Umbreon interesting)
    -No More Phone (even as annoying as some of those calls may have been)
    -Room Decorations (though replaced by the Secret Hideout, not quite the same)
    -No Backwards Compatibility (they could have made another Time Machine, don't tell me they couldn't)
    -No Radio Tower
    -Lack of 1st/2nd Gen Pokémon (more limited number of)
    -Team Magma/Aqua (these guys were really a bunch of |insert insult here|)
    -No Team Rocket

I personally feel that any game following the Gold & Silver series has a pretty big shadow to come out of, and with the release of Heart Gold & Soul Silver, that shadow just grew. Immensely. There was a certain charm about Gold & Silver that no version has been able to replace, and would like to see one (hopefully Gen.5) do this, soon.

NatureKeeper

The Good:

-Double Battles
    -Nature System
    -New Berry System
    -Gardevoir

The Bad:

-No Day/Night Modifier (makes getting Espeon & Umbreon interesting)
    -No More Phone (even as annoying as some of those calls may have been)
    -Room Decorations (though replaced by the Secret Hideout, not quite the same)
    -No Backwards Compatibility (they could have made another Time Machine, don't tell me they couldn't)
    -No Radio Tower
    -Lack of 1st/2nd Gen Pokémon (more limited number of)
    -Team Magma/Aqua (these guys were really a bunch of |insert insult here|)
    -No Team Rocket

I personally feel that any game following the Gold & Silver series has a pretty big shadow to come out of, and with the release of Heart Gold & Soul Silver, that shadow just grew. Immensely. There was a certain charm about Gold & Silver that no version has been able to replace, and would like to see one (hopefully Gen.5) do this, soon.

There is a phone in Emerald and The Room Decorations are still there. The games' mechanics at all will not allow trading between two different handhelds (GBA and GBC), and thus there was no backward compatibility. And Emerald galores with Gen 2s. However, I agree with tha whole Magma, Aqua and Rocket Part. I only liked Maxie and Tabitha. All others are |C E N S O R E D|

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
    1. Terrible visuals that completely make it look like a new game entirely and with ugly grass and trees that could make a person vomit.

2. Horrible music tracks that sound nothing like Pokemon and really have no charm or stick in your head like the original music did.

3. A new gen of Pokemon that look like they were just made for money, GSC actually looked like they had their heart in it when they made the 151-251 Pokemon.

4. Rival that's your friend? Come on that defies all Pokemon logic.

5. Boring plot that is so agonizing and repetitive, it's just run from point A to B with no importance until you get to Sootopolis.

6. No day and night cycle? GSC had one, so it makes sense to include it in all new ones but they got lazy I guess.

7. Team Aqua and Team Magma look like kids in Halloween costumes, no where near as badass as Team Rocket was.

I sense someone's butthurt nostalgia.

It's not as common because it wasn't the NORM. The NORM was with land with little bits of water, but Hoenn had half the world filled with it. Not too bad in my opinion, but for all those grinders and nostalgia-freaks, it was just WRONG. WRONG because it wasn't the same as awesome Kanto or awesome Johto.

The old nostalgia freaks didn't like it because it was different. TWO evil teams? No Team Rocket?! WATER?! No way, this wasn't right! It can't be good because it's different! And because nobody liked it, it wasn't.

GlitchCity

GlitchxCity
    Years
    The games' mechanics at all will not allow trading between two different handhelds (GBA and GBC)
    thats not really a flaw, that is just due to technology. Think about it, did you really want a downed sized pokemon on your advance game?

anyways I spent like 400+ more hours in hoenn than I did in any other region. Hoenn introduced a lot of features that helped build the other generations. Yes it did have a flaw here and there, but all the other regions [kanto and johto, dont deny it] had their flaws as well.

Myles

Seriously?
    Years
    WATER?! No way, this wasn't right! It can't be good because it's different! And because nobody liked it, it wasn't.

You can't pull the 'only because it has changed' card if people give valid reasons for disliking the stuff.

How would you like it if suddenly, literally half the region was cave, or desert, or snow, etc. All with the same wild Pokemon and levels throughout.

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023
    Apart from the water routes, stupid teams/team concepts, and the things they could have kept that were in Gold and Silver, not much was wrong with them.
    You get half a game, and half waterworld. Otherwise it's completely good and has a lot of advantages exclusive to Hoenn.

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
    You can't pull the 'only because it has changed' card if people give valid reasons for disliking the stuff.

...including?

The main ones are "The plot was lame (usually because there's no inventive use of TEAM ROCKET)", "THE WATER", "Friendly rival", etc. which are all changes on "basics". =|

The ones that aren't are purely subjective; "The Pokemon suck!", "The music was crap!", "The graphics were horrible!"

There is one I do agree with though is that they should have kept Day/Night. Time was kept, but it could have been used so much better. Still, that's no reason for hating on a game.

Eggie Poo Poo

OM NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM
    Years
    I sense someone's butthurt nostalgia.

It's not as common because it wasn't the NORM. The NORM was with land with little bits of water, but Hoenn had half the world filled with it. Not too bad in my opinion, but for all those grinders and nostalgia-freaks, it was just WRONG. WRONG because it wasn't the same as awesome Kanto or awesome Johto.

The old nostalgia freaks didn't like it because it was different. TWO evil teams? No Team Rocket?! WATER?! No way, this wasn't right! It can't be good because it's different! And because nobody liked it, it wasn't.

Chill, was just giving my opinion and I certainly don't hate WATER ... o.O

Back