• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What's Your Favorite Anime or Manga?

Pineapple Pocky

Sometimes being a girl sucks.
Years
  • What's your favorite anime/manga?

Mines is Naruto! I love ninja, their awesome. ^_^
    Sorry I don't have a poll, but there's to many people that would complain if their fave wasn't up there.

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
    Years
  • My favorite manga, at the moment, is Dream Gold, a cyberpunk (♥!) story about a timid, young man who joins a fairly new organization to hunt for a hidden treasure ("Dream Gold") rumored to be in the city he lives in. Unfortunately, 249 other people are out to do the same thing, and they're willing to kill to stay in the organization (and thus get the treasure).

Beyond that is ShutterBox, a story (by an American mangaka) about a girl who, in her dreams, is spirited away to a school for muses, spirits of the dead who inspire the living. She's meant to stay there and graduate as a muse in order to anchor the dreamworld, Merridiah, to Earth.

Then, of course, comes Legal Drug, by my all-time favorite mangaka team, CLAMP. Heck, I love a lot of CLAMP's work -- Legal Drug, xxxHolic, Wish, Magic Knight Rayearth... It's all good.

As for anime, I only have two favorites at the moment. The first is Alien Nine, a seemingly cute anime about three girls who are charged with protecting their elementary school from hostile aliens. However, one of them, Yuri, is a cowardly crybaby whose mental stability is constantly threatened each time she's forced to encounter another alien. There's really more to it than that, but saying what it is would ruin the entire thing.

My other favorite is Spiral: Suiri no Kizuna, one of the few mystery anime series that I've seen done RIGHT (despite the fact that it supposedly ends abruptly). It's fairly hard to explain, so I won't even bother. Let's just say the episodes are definitely worth shelling out twenty bucks for a DVD.

Pokemon used to make both lists, but as of current, I'm losing faith in even the Pokemon anime. I still love the first season, but it's really lost something since, in my opinion.

Rai

Quarter Life Crisis! @.@
    Years
  • Yes, this belongs in Other Anime/Manga...

My favorite anime is Inuyasha <3

My favorite manga is No Need For Tenchi <33

>:3

Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Nov 4, 2023
    Death Note's my fave, no doubts about that.'Tis followed closely by Zatch Bell. ^^

Years
    • Seen Apr 2, 2023
    Manga: Rurouni Kenshin--A LOT better than the anime. It's one of the few series that I consider to be perfect, the ending was great and the story was just awesome. It mixed war, comedy, love and action all into one pretty good story.

Cyborg 009-- Another great show, the style is retro, but it looks great. It's the basic "hate people because they're different" story, but it was more or less the first of it's kind. It wasn't too short or too long, it had the perfect mix of everything. A great cast of characters, great writing and some of the best plotlines I've ever seen.

Death Note- A pretty good gothic(real gothic --images) story. The main character's a bad guy which is different for a series, and he doesn't just become a good guy. The only reason we cheer for him is because he is the main character and if he dies, the story would probably end. The first arc was great and it was always fun to see how Light would get away from L. Then having him forget everything that happened, I usually hate that type of thing, but it's pretty well done and was a great end to the first arc.

Anime: Cowboy Bebop-- The series used some great imagery and had some pretty good animation. The plot was pretty straight foward and the main character's one of those "average joe" types, but it's able to come across so real and vivid. The pacing of the series was a little slow at first, but then it really picks up and introduces us to people that'll play a much larger role later on. The music was also another great thing here, it's mainly a mix of Blues and Jazz, but it fits the series so well.

Kikaider/01-- A short series, only about nine episodes, but every episode was great. The ending's a pretty big downer but not many series that try to end on a sad note effect me or make me feel sad like this one did. Again, it's another fairly straight forward "hate what you don't understand" story, but it's told so well.

Fullmetal Alchemist-- A fairly good Shounen type anime. I'm liking the anime more than the manga at this point. It doesn't drag, the music is great, the animation's pretty different and introduces some great new styles. The ending in the movie(the real ending) was great, I like series that end on a happy note every now and then.

Zeta Gundam--My second favorite Gundam series and my second favorite anime series. It's dark, dramatic, the only Gundam aside from War in the Pocket that I felt was realistic. It was able to pull off a lot of it's main plot points so well, unlike most anime these days. The ending wasn't ambiguous at all, but it just fits the character so well. Through most of the series he wanted to find anyone to be with, when he finds them, they die, he kills one of them, he ends up in a coma and is basically alone for the rest of his life.

Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket--My favorite Gundam and my favorite anime. It was short and for once, the main character wasn't some teenager that stumbles into a Gundam. It's a kid who was still stuck in the fantasy that war is just one big game but has to come to terms with the reality that war is real and life is lost. It's pretty amazing to watch him have to realize that once someone is gone, they're gone forever, and how realistically it's done was great.

falling up+
    Years
  • Wow i am surprised that someone else watches Spiral on here, kudos points go to you Kazeto Tamashii! As for your opinion on Pokemon yes it did lose everything after the first season. Now we are forced to watch 20 minute toy/videogame commercials with no real plot anymore. They are all filler. Such a waste :(

Anyways as to the topic at hand :p one of those animes that no one ever seems to have seen or if they did appreciate is GunGrave. basically its a story of two freinds who start out in the slums and work their way up through the hierarchy of organized crime in the city. G4 had shown this on their anime thing but started at episode 13 of 26 NOT showing the great lead up and characters backstories.

It sounds simple but the story will drag you in. The first few episodes are slow and contain a LOT of development necessary to the story down the line so just bear with it and you will be amazed at the way everything falls apart. I cant say too much without ruining it but i will say it has one of the best endings there can be. It might not be for everyone being a more laid back anime that is focused on the characters and not just action. ;)

Years
    • Seen Jun 1, 2006
    Naruto all the way^_^

Naruto is best anime I ever seen
    I watch anime Naruto
    I read Manga Naruto
    Everything Naruto
    Naruto yay ^_^

Lokhlan

Formerly "Tendo"
    Years
  • *borrows Kazuhito's layout*

Manga:

Berserk - A very dark and mature manga to say the least, it has one of the most dramatic and compelling stories I've ever encountered. Berserk is a gem amongst the action genre which stays far away from the clichés that dog so many titles.

Boys Be - Honestly, I doubt it's fair I'm even listing this one since I'm not even done with it, but I can't help it. Most romance/comedy manga are done through the females point of view so it's nice to see one done from a males standpoint, which by-the-way, makes for some serious comedy.

Anime:

Cowboy Bebop - Cowboy Bebop is one of those series that takes a relatively tired concept and manages to breathe new life into it. In this case, the formula is a small band of bounty hunters, tooling around in their quirky space ship, headed up by a slick gunslinger with a mysterious past--I think just about every anime fan has seen at least something like that. Not too many anime achieve such a "coolness" factor like Cowboy Bebop does. Spike, I wish he was my father. Faye? HA! Don't even get me started on Faye. Hubba, hubba.

Trigun - Action, comedy, kick A story, well rounded characters. Another great anime.

Ghost in the Shell: SAC/SAC 2nd Gig - Bad*** cyborg women, speculative computer science, and talking tanks might not be for everyone, but I certainly fell in love.

Fullmetal Alchemist - Fullmetal Alchemist offers a lot in the areas of character development, story fluidity, musical arrangement, and artwork. Primo stuff.

Gundam 8th MS Team -
    Michael Wieczorek said:
    One of the things that struck me about THE 08TH TEAM is just how different it is from the other GUNDAM shows that have been released in the U.S. Sure, it has giant robots beating the crud out of each other, but it's missing two key ingredients that the other GUNDAM shows had: angst and melodrama. THE 08TH TEAM presents itself as more of straight forward action story with some light hearted comedy added in, and it doesn't touch as much on issues like the horror's of war or using children as soldiers like the other GUNDAM shows did. You could probably call THE 08TH TEAM "GUNDAM Lite."
    Couldn't have said it better myself.

Berserk - The manga, but anime.

kohei

Pizzaman.
    Years
  • Anime
    Rozen Maiden/Rozen Maiden Traumend
    What made me like the whole idea of liking dolls in the first place.
    I like how the main character is a hikkikomori, but slowly starts to become normal.

Fate/Stay Night
    Still havn't finished watching it, but it's good so far.
    Some people critisize it for mixing the three separate plotlines from the original game into one plotline, but I don't really care :)

Azumanga Daioh
    For some reason, I like the anime better than the manga.
    Gotta love comedy.

Kannazuki no Miko
    Sure, shoujo-ai and giant robots don't seem to mix at first.
    But they do, thats the magic :)

REC
    Only made from nine 15min long episodes, but that means no pointless fillers.
    I like how the story focuses on the hardships of becoming a voice actress.

Manga
    DeathNote
    This isn't Shonen Jump quality XD
    The storyline is really deep, and the art quality is extremely high for a weekly magazine.

Yotsubato
    More cuter than Azumanga, and more subtle comedy. I like I like.

The Masked Maid Guy
    You think French maids are just sexy people in frilly clothes who do things for you right?
    You're wrong.
    Maid Guy is a ultra buff dude, who instead of having 5 senses, has 36.
    He also lived through many wars, and is pretty much impossible to kill. And he can attack people using sound as well.

What more do you want?

Dorohedoro
    Gore/Fantasy setting made into one package.
    Sure the art is rough and grotesque, but the cute, fantasy/cyberpunk setting is really neat.

Oh, and the main character has a head of a lizard.

Last edited:

falling up+
    Years
  • Kris said:
    *borrows Kazuhito's layout*

Manga:

Berserk - A very dark and mature manga to say the least, it has one of the most dramatic and compelling stories I've ever encountered. Berserk is a gem amongst the action genre which stays far away from the clichés that dog so many titles.

:D yes! Berserk is definately worthy of best manga lists. I enjoyed the anime as well very well written, the ending though they needed to continue it with a tv anime instead of leaving everyone hanging. I loved it nontheless though Griffith and Guts, Kaska, everything goes to hell in the end (literally?). Good stuff

Mari-Ashley

http://www.ashketchum.nl
    Years
  • I don't read Manga. My favourite anime is Pokémon. Other than that one, I also really like Cardcaptor Sakura, (Magic Knight) Rayearth, Gravitation and Yami no Matsuei.

Digiko

The l33t lurker!!!
    Years
  • I've only read two manga series..so..xD;

Favorite animes: Hoshi no Kirby, Shaman King, Azumanga Daioh, Trigun

Favorite manga: Di Gi Charat(The manga is better than the anime, I think :D)

I'm trying to start watching alot of more animes though.. But I end up getting stuck on one. xD;

Those animes are Inuyasha, Full Metal Alchemist, Tokyo Mew Mew, Fruits Basket, Onegai Teacher, and Sailor Moon.

Back