• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen What's Your Favourite Johto Starter And Why?

Sasuke Uchiha

The Avenger
Years
  • What's Your Favourite And Why?(Mines Cyndaquil Cause Of His Moveset When It Evolves To Typhlosion)

Last edited:

Miss Anne Thrope

Disgusted
    Years
  • What a difficult question. They are all outclassed by other Pokemon in the region (more or less and depending on opinion.)
    But the design wise.. Typhlosion takes the cake. Chikorita and Totodile evolve well but Typhlosion is by far the most attractive final evolution for a starter Pokemon in my opinion.

In-game battle-wise I'd say Totodile's line is my favorite. Not too much of a challenge and not to easy in the beginning.. It's pretty much a weaker Gyarados but for the main Pokemon story it gets the job done well. Chikorita is a big challenge for many due to the first two gyms being Flying and Bug. Cyndaquil breezes through the game and makes everything very easy.. Almost to the point of making it boring.

Years
    • Seen Jun 5, 2013
    Cyndaquil to make the beginning easier. Chikorita to make the beginning a little tougher. I prefer Totodile though. The game is easy no matter which one you pick though.

Years
  • The Johto starters have always been my least favorite group, and I usually found myself ditching them when I could build up a strong enough team. That being said, I did like the bit of an advantage that Cyndaquil and its evolutions gave you earlier on in the game (against leaders like Bugsy, especially), so that's why I usually took Cyndaquil.

Years
    • Seen Feb 20, 2024
    I'm gonna have to say Chikorita. And it's actually not related to movesets and evolutions and whatnot. Not at all.
    I actually fell in love with Chikorita because of the anime x.x I hated Ash's Chikorita at first but then came to love the little thing. I just loved the character they gave that Pokémon in the series and I've liked her ever since. I now always pick Chikorita as my starter in any Johto games and I SR for a female one and name it Chibi. She's adorable and cute and she's actually better than most people make her to be. Chikorita was the very first Pokémon I ever EV trained and I was proud of my dual-screens Meganium.

Years
  • I can never decide between Totodile and Cyndaquil. Cyndaquil's evolution designs and movesets are better but I still can't totally prefer it over Totodile. I just love it too much. Especially in the anime. He's such a cutie :3

✯Shigeru✯

I Dropped The Lift Key...
    Years
  • My favorite would have to be Totodile because it can learn really nice type coverage moves including Ice Punch which makes battling Lance much easier.

Years
  • The starters in Gen II are, in my opinion, the best starters in Pokemon, so it is hard to decide, but I'm going to go with the Totodile line because it looks about as awesome as the Cyndaquil line, but I really like water Pokemon. I still play with any of them though.

Sasuke Uchiha

The Avenger
    Years
  • The starters in Gen II are, in my opinion, the best starters in Pokemon, so it is hard to decide, but I'm going to go with the Totodile line because it looks about as awesome as the Cyndaquil line, but I really like water Pokemon. I still play with any of them though.

But You Can Easily Replace Totodile's Evolution Line With Another Water Pokemon Like Vaperon,Kingdra,Lanturn or Even Gyarados.

Berzerk!

Hey, c'mon! Get serious!
    Years
  • In my personal opinion the bad-ass award has to go to Cyndaquil, Typhlosion just looks so awesome and his design just feels so different to the others, it's a lot more slim compared to the others that are bulky.

Elaitenstile

I am legend
    Years
    • Seen Feb 27, 2015
    I'll have to say Totodile because he has always been my Johto starter and favourite. He's much more useful than the others IMO

CliCliW

I have a Ph.D in Horribleness.
    Years
  • I was never one for real strategy for a long time playing through them (I was very much "SPAM ATTACKS!!!!!"), so I always preferred Cyndaquil's design. He's the one I like consistently all along through his evolutions. It would be Chikorita, but grass types are just so darn useless in game really :( As for Totodile, while tactically he is the most useful, I just don't like his design after his basic form... Croconaw looks like a circus strongman and Feraligatr is just ugly :/

Welchieboy

Pokemon Master '94
    Years
  • I would say cyndaquil as it can be overpowered by the time you get to Whitney. You've got the Sprout tower, 2nd gym and ILEX forest to train in... Having quilava at a high level for that gym is probably the best thing to do as Whitney's Miltank is, to be polite, a bit of a female dog. (Not that Dogs are real- Pokemon in all that xD )

Years
  • I prefer Cyndaquil. When choosing Pokemon, I like to consider a few attributes: attractiveness (in my eyes, of course), ability, and naming (I like to choose a theme of names, and Cyndaquil is easy to design a name for for my themes). Also, it's easier to go with Cyndaquil, because (as I presume was said above), the first few Gym's are more easily approachable with a fire type Pokemon.

YukiKaru

Pika-Pika-PIKACHU! <3
    Years
  • Chikorita. <3 I have a soft spot for it. I loved Ash's in the anime, and it's severly underated. No one really gives it a chance, and I just think it's more powerful than people realize. Meganium is my FAAAAVORITE grass type.

Sirfetch’d

While all 3 are underwhelming, I have to say Totodile is my favorite just because I found it most useful in-game.

Back