• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What's your starting-out process?

newmexico

College Student
    Years
    I don't think I need to tell anyone here that there's a lot that goes into a hack. So, when you start making a brand new one, where do you usually start? (Scripting? Spriting? Etc.) I ask partly because I think it could be helpful for me and anyone else who's just starting out and overwhelmed by the sheer size of the task, but also partly because I'm curious to see how people differ in their processes.

Tcoppy

Favorite Stand
    Years
    Not one post here in three days?
    I honestly, start out with sprite inserting and making stats for pokemon or fakemon. I'll usually start getting those out of the way then go on to mapping and scripting. Sad thing is that I always get new ideas for stories or get too lazy and delete the roms, but thats irrelevant to the topic.

droomph

weeb
    Years
    Find some friends first :) You will always need a second opinion.

Then start making the story. Don't go too deep into the details yet.

Then make the maps, and as always get a second opinion before you proceed.

Anyways, then you do the scripting of the story and then finally add whatever features you want/need, like graphics.

Dreg

Done after the GT.
    Years
    • Seen Jul 11, 2016
    I've never hacked Pokemon, but if I had to start somewhere, it would be making the maps first for your region. At least you have something to begin with, then you can start putting in your ideas, with wild pokemon locations, stats, trainer locations, then finishing off with Scripting.

newmexico

College Student
    Years
    Find some friends first :) You will always need a second opinion.

Wanna be my friend? ;) Just kidding. Unless you decide to be my friend purely because I'm a lovely person anyway! (Okay, I'll stop.)

Then start making the story. Don't go too deep into the details yet.

You mean just the fast and loose planning stage, right?

That's where I'm at right now, but every time I read up on scripting etc on the forums, I get all jazzed up. It's like learning to work with any new art medium--I just want to play. Learning how the tools work is a great source of inspiration. :)

Anyway, point taken on not getting lost in the details. I always seem to have a problem with that.

Thanks, guys!

Back