• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

When did you become interested in animé?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Graceful

あぁ、たいさ!♥
    Years
    My first anime had to be pokemon, then about last year, my sister got me interested and I started to watch some Sailor moon and then I got a little obsessed at the start of this year.
    I started to read manga last year, when I felt like reading some sailor moon >.>

Years
    I'm fairly sure my first anime was Akage no Anne (Canadian literature, whoo!), which I watched back in Vietnam when I was very young (I'd say it was about 1998?). Then several more anime aired in its placed and I watched those also, since there are pretty much no other worthy children's entertainment on TV. When I moved to North America, there were some more channels that showed anime like Cartoon Network and I learned that they were called anime and made in Japan. As for fansubs, I started watching Naruto in 2005 and discovered there were uncensored versions available in subtitles, so that's when I became a watcher of up-to-date anime.

digi-kun

Hourai NEET
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Mar 12, 2018
    Cardcaptor Sakura

I was quite obsessed and frequented fan sites for AMVs, musics, and episodes in general [back in the days when everything was 3 parts for space issues], lo and behold I find the Japanese episodes, a certain site talking about the differences between CC and CCS, etc. So ya, that's my main interest spark. Digimon Frontier and Sonic X came soon after. S-O-N-I-C GO!

On an interesting note, Galaxy Angel was my first Galge, rather Galaxy Angel - Eternal Lovers (3rd game in the series), but hey playing it out of order doesn't matter THAT much, right? XD Pretty graphics killed my computer though XD

ThatKidMike

yall fuccbois
    Years
    • Seen Oct 16, 2013
    Like a lot of kids my age, I was a big DBZ head. But I didn't consider it anime or even know what anime was at that time.

I think watching Death Note was what got me into it.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
    My first anime was either Pokemon or the badly butchered "Cardcaptors." But I never really got into anime until 2005, with the purchase of my first anime DVD (Ah My Goddess vol. 3, the only one they had at Wal-Mart at the time, lol)

It has since grown into an obsession, lol

Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2011
    I would probably have to say when I was around ten years old? I don't quite remember, but I do remember that it was because of one of my online friends, telling me about Inuyasha. Before I watched Inuyasha and got interested in such of this thing called "Anime", I did watch Pokemon, Digimon, and Yu-Gi-Oh. However, at the time I didn't know that they were Japanese Animation, and simply thought of them of cartoons that are interesting to watch (of course, I've learned since then that they were anime).

But yeah. It was thanks to my friend who introduced me to Inuyasha that I am now interested in Anime today.

Years
    • Seen Jan 3, 2015
    Well, I think I were around 12 or 13 years old, when I first started getting into anime. I used to watch Pokémon and Digimon a lot when I was a kid, and they were only cartoons to me. Adult Swim channel then was available at my home and I saw Bleach. I watched a couple of random episodes, and I loved it. I searched for Bleach and MAL was one of the popular choices google showed me and I entered there. A new anime journey began at that time for me.

EmeraldSerenade

babyboy
    Years
    when my friend made me watch yaoi with her

Around a few months back, in March. I was always interested in japan in general, and anime just came to me. I remember watching Pokemon when I was younger, and I fell in love with the show. Then I started watching subbed anime this year and yeah.... haha.

Years
    I became interested in anime when I saw Pokémon for the first time (then started watching Digimon as well).
    Over the years, I started watching everything that aired on Cartoon Network's Toonami block.

I'm currently watching Pokémon, and One Piece (400+ episodes in ~2 months!)

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    The Pokemon anime is what got me into anime in general. I still watch it, but I've moved on to other shows, like Yu-Gi-Oh! and Bleach.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
    This is so nice to remember...
    I started in 2001 when I was 9 I think with, like most of you, Pokemon =) Then other "starting" anime like Digimon, Beyblade, Sonic X on Fox Kids and Jetix, then I paused everything, then probably 3-4 ago I returned to Pokemon and 2 years ago I've become a real otaku =D And now I'm addicted to anime xD have over 2 month of watched time, reading and buying manga... so I can call myself otaku =D

Kenshin5

Wanderer
    Years
    If Beast Wars(Transformers) count as anime it would have to be some were in the ball part of of 1996 to 1998. I know for sure it was at least 98 because I remember watching it on the Toonami line up back then when they had Reboot on and DBZ.

Ficher

Years
    • Seen Jan 15, 2012
    Yaay! I love threads like this, where I can write a lot x-D

It was back in 2005 or 2006, when I was at my friends house, who by the way, used to watch anime and did not tell me or anybody he knew. I came to his house and he was out with his mother getting a game for his PC. His brother told me I can stay at his room and used his computer, which I did. I was looking through his folders when I saw a folder called 'Anime'. I was curious as to what is it, so I opened it, and I saw more than 20GB of videos. :O I saw a sub-folder called 'Bleach' and it had like 50 episodes in it. I played the first episode and started watching and it was great!

After my friend came home, he saw me watching Bleach and he introduced me to the world of anime! And that's how it all began.

Nice, eh?

Yuoaman

I don't know who I am either.
    Years
    What originally got me into anime was Dragon Ball, like many people my age. When I started getting out of it a little though, Full Metal Alchemist was the one that pulled me back in.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back