• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Where is Isshu? Confirmed - New York

Where is Isshu?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

coolnick37

Absolute Power
    Years
    I'm quoting a post from Serebii Forums. It is pretty neat.

Spoiler:

So you intend on posting reasons fro NYC later....? or what?
    Btw, haha it sure was long, but thats everything we had on the first page. :P
    I think that most of the ppl that arent emotionally connected to isshu beiing NYC can now see that isshu is most probably shanghai area.
    But i look forward seeing the rest of the stuff you have, that you claim proves it is a mix of both NYC and shanghai region. :D

Oh and for the pigeon thing -.- i knew it. Some1 was constantly trying to tell me that NYC is known for their pigeons all over the world. I live in Mediterranean and I assure you we have loads of pigeons everywhere.

Last edited:

coolnick37

Absolute Power
    Years
    Great find. Honestly, I'm now convinced of Shanghai.

Hmm you do understand all this was already on the first page, it is just squeezed into one post.

Lol, i dont go on serebii anymore(i prefer PC these days :)) so since the owner of the original post wrote that he thinks that isshu is a mix of both NYC and shanghai, and that he intends to post it later. Darkrai, are you willing to post the other one too :D im too lazy to check it myself.

austy14

Cannibal
    Years
    Hmm you do understand all this was already on the first page, it is just squeezed into one post.

Lol, i dont go on serebii anymore(i prefer PC these days :)) so since the owner of the original post wrote that he thinks that isshu is a mix of both NYC and shanghai, and that he intends to post it later. Darkrai, are you willing to post the other one too :D im too lazy to check it myself.

Really? Woops, I can be a little slow at times... But as much as I dislike the idea of a combination, it seeming more and more likely. The shapes pf the peninsulas are more like NYC, but the size/place of shanghai makes more sense, as well as so many chinese references.

coolnick37

Absolute Power
    Years
    Really? Woops, I can be a little slow at times... But as much as I dislike the idea of a combination, it seeming more and more likely. The shapes pf the peninsulas are more like NYC, but the size/place of shanghai makes more sense, as well as so many chinese references.

I personnaly dont believe that they are a mix(acctually i find that just a way for some ppl to avoid saying that they are wrong :P)
    But id like to see what reasons that person has for believing that NYC may be mixed in, for who know maybe there is one that I am not aware of.
    As for current reasons, most of them are irrelevant.
    Only the central peninsula looks like NYC and that by itself doesnt make it a mix with NYC :/
    The reason most people assumed isshu is NYC is because of Hiuin city when they first saw it, so they were all like: OMG its new york city xD

I'm quoting a post from Serebii Forums. It is pretty neat.

Spoiler:

Yo twlite darkrai :S I acctually found mikies post on serebii, BUT i didnt see this part:
    -Umm...I don't know if this is the place I should be posting this, but I'm kind of sick of all the debates on where Isshu is based on, so I decided that I'd at least post explanations of why it could be BOTH (as in one or the other) Shanghai or NYC.

I will start off with Shanghai and then post NYC sometime later.

But rather I found this:

- Guys...

Here is my LONG and VERY THOROUGH explanation of why I think Isshu is Shanghai.
    I've done my research.

Now either u just added this urself, or he made a second post exact same but with the first part changed :S

Last edited:

Ravecat

I'm Right.
    Years
    That large post is all reasonable points until he gets to the trainers.

Then he just kind of shrugs them off because other trainers have vague background in a certain country. Only England has gentlemen? What? There's a difference between melding cultures, which is what they were doing with early trainers, and simply pasting something American in, which is what happened with the Football player.

It would also be much appreciated if a lot of you Shanghai guys (and some America supporters, too) could be more civil. If you'll notice I haven't been in this thread in a long while, and that's primarily because it's turned into a massive Shanghai circlejerk where anyone who presents American evidence is attacked and immediately called wrong, and anybody who presents Shanghai evidence, no matter how farfetched, is given a huge pat on the back and greeted with some cocky, arrogant comments towards the American side.

Let's have a reasonable discussion like grown-ups, alright boys?

Last edited:

yellowbird

is mother teresa. hugs.
    Years
    • Seen Oct 24, 2016
    That large post is all reasonable points until he gets to the trainers.

Then he just kind of shrugs them off because other trainers have vague background in a certain country. Only England has gentlemen? What? There's a difference between melding cultures, which is what they were doing with early trainers, and simply pasting something American in, which is what happened with the Football player.

I don't know, I suppose what they were saying about the NPCs has merit, I mean, all they were trying to do was discredit the meaningfulness of a football player NPC, and in fact I think they did it quite well. Although I'm still slightly inclined to wonder why football players, of all the trainers Game Freak could have created, was what they went with.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years

I don't know, I suppose what they were saying about the NPCs has merit, I mean, all they were trying to do was discredit the meaningfulness of a football player NPC, and in fact I think they did it quite well. Although I'm still slightly inclined to wonder why football players, of all the trainers Game Freak could have created, was what they went with.
    Maybe they wanted to get sporty also this is a bit off topic

yellowbird

is mother teresa. hugs.
    Years
    • Seen Oct 24, 2016

Maybe they wanted to get sporty also this is a bit off topic

Not really? The relevance of football player NPCs determines whether or not they can be considered a valid point in favour of New York or not.

And well, I think in the Pokémon world, Pokémon training is considerd a sport, so, dunno if they'd really need to make it "sporty"

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years

Not really? The relevance of football player NPCs determines whether or not they can be considered a valid point in favour of New York or not.

And well, I think in the Pokémon world, Pokémon training is considerd a sport, so, dunno if they'd really need to make it "sporty"
    Yeah I noticed but I just feel like we are getting to much into the Trainer Class topic
    Well they made the girl look "sporty" and they added the football player so it's even more sporty :)

Years
    • Seen Jul 19, 2014
    I thought the girl was dressed like that so older fans would come back to the series but thats a off topic story altogether >>

yellowbird

is mother teresa. hugs.
    Years
    • Seen Oct 24, 2016
    YOURE WRONG
    Nica told me to post this guys dont get offended ok it was just an urge or something ANYWAY

As far as the topic is concerned(I'm not sure if I've replied to this already but I'm assuming not, or it was something that didn't answer the topic directly), I think Isshu is pretty much it's own region. I'm not one of those people that is going to waste time trying to figure out what it's based off of, because I'm going to have fun with the game anyway. Trying to make sense out of Pokemon sorta kills the fun, right? :(

xD! I for one am not "wasting time." This is something I do out of boredom. And it's not like I'm going to hate Isshu if it's based in Shanghai or something. That would just be absolutely silly!

But I think making sense of Pokémon is fun, like learning about the origin of Flygon, Relincanth, all that good stuff. It's nice to know that Game Freak isn't just crazy, and they have intelligent people who actually know stuff about the world, despite what everyone seems to think.

But I think calling everyone wrong is a bit harsh. As far as I'm concerned, none of us will ever be proved right or wrong.

austy14

Cannibal
    Years
    Well, with plasma being based off of knights and kings and such, which has more possibility of kingdom references?... neither. Though, a few groups came to america to get away from the king and government, like trying to beat plasma, the kingdom in this case. IDK, it's a stretch. XD, But is there something that could refer to medieval kingdoms in Shanghai? :P

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Just a note; he posted the "youre wrong" thing because he felt the urge to, mainly because I said that's what the topic would turn into eventually, moving away from the character sprite dicussion. So yes, it was a joke.

Anyways. Personally I think the footballer does point to America, because it just seems to make sense, as opposed to finding it in Shanghai...

And kingdom references just makes me think of England for some reason :(

yellowbird

is mother teresa. hugs.
    Years
    • Seen Oct 24, 2016
    Well, with plasma being based off of knights and kings and such, which has more possibility of kingdom references?... neither. Though, a few groups came to america to get away from the king and government, like trying to beat plasma, the kingdom in this case. IDK, it's a stretch. XD, But is there something that could refer to medieval kingdoms in Shanghai? :P

Good point! It's actually illegal for an American citizen to be knighted —the things you'll learn when you actually READ the constitution.

Although there is that like "Knights Templar" stuff or whatever that I'm not too familiar with.

Edit: and yes, I understood it was a joke, it's just the huge capital letters kinda killed me :P

yellowbird

is mother teresa. hugs.
    Years
    • Seen Oct 24, 2016
    Can we agree that it can possibly be America, Australia, Asia, and Europe put into like, one region?

Seeing as the confusion would shift between either New York City and Shanghai, and the fact that you noticed some slight traces of European, I think it would make sense that several continents were combined to make the region of Isshu.

I think Game Freak is more likely to base Isshu on absolutely nothing than everywhere in the world. I just don't feel like they're the type of people who like to compromise, for lack of a better word. :P

edit: also, agreeing would end all of the fun of this discussion xD

austy14

Cannibal
    Years

Good point! It's actually illegal for an American citizen to be knighted —the things you'll learn when you actually READ the constitution.

Although there is that like "Knights Templar" stuff or whatever that I'm not too familiar with.

Edit: and yes, I understood it was a joke, it's just the huge capital letters kinda killed me :P

Well, Plasma is a group of outlaws (I would think) and Knighting is illegal in America (nver knew that XD) so, that would make sense with the America theory. MAYBE ISSHU IS REALLY IN ENGLAND!!! :o I thought about this a while ago, just never took the time to look for an Isshu shaped place in England.

yellowbird

is mother teresa. hugs.
    Years
    • Seen Oct 24, 2016
    Well, Plasma is a group of outlaws (I would think) and Knighting is illegal in America (nver knew that XD) so, that would make sense with the America theory. MAYBE ISSHU IS REALLY IN ENGLAND!!! :o I thought about this a while ago, just never took the time to look for an Isshu shaped place in England.

To be more precise, it's illegal to "take a title," such as Duke, Princess, Baron, etc., but it applies to knights too.

And I doubt Isshu could be England. People have problems with NYC being small, so they'd definitely have problems with England's size.

But I don't really think Plasma is THAT kind of outlaw. They seem like they're more determined to uphold as many laws as possible —like knights?— but they just get so fanatical that they kind of start breaking some.

Edit: Now that I think about it, I really don't know if it really would be in America, with all these knights and crowns and stuffff. Then again, that article in the constitution has got to be the most obscure and overlooked ones out there.

Last edited:

austy14

Cannibal
    Years
    It could be Scotland! Scotland, part of the UK along with England, could be close enough. Here's a pic! Just rotate your head.

Where is Isshu? Confirmed - New York

Um, yeah I see it is unlikely, but just needed something to go with my random england idea.

yellowbird

is mother teresa. hugs.
    Years
    • Seen Oct 24, 2016
    It could be Scotland! Scotland, part of the UK along with England, could be close enough. Here's a pic! Just rotate your head.

Where is Isshu? Confirmed - New York

Um, yeah I see it is unlikely, but just needed something to go with my random england idea.

Hahaha, I KINDA see it. But the rivers are off, it would be way too small, and there's not exactly any significant landmarks that we've seen in Isshu already. xD

Nice try, though. :3

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back