• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Where is Isshu? Confirmed - New York

Where is Isshu?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Palantides

Village Idiot
Years
  • FOOTBALL PLAYER

And Hokkaido and Sinnoh, while not the exact same (obviously) are EXTREMELY similar

There are Gridiron players in Canada who wear the exact same equipment. There are Gridiron players all around the world who wear the exact same equipment.

Isshu fits Shanghai more (geographically) than New York, especially when you compare it to Hokkaido and Sinnoh being based on each other. The biggest issue with Isshu and New York matching up, is Long Island. Isshu and Shanghai are extremely similar as well.

Also, with the musicals it can also be linked to Chinese Opera.

Last edited:

Palantides

Village Idiot
    Years
  • Well if it fits NYC more geographically than shanghai shouldn't that just end this conversation all together?

No, it fits Shanghai more geographically. The biggest issue in the geography department is Long Island. It doesn't match up at all with the eastern portion of Isshu.

Palantides

Village Idiot
    Years
  • I don't even see long island in the comparable map of NYC

See that landmass to the east of the east river and downtown NYC? That's Long Island, and it is significantly larger than the eastern portion of Isshu. Hiun city is the furthest point south in Isshu (that we can see, the land to the west of the western bay on Isshu is further, but as far as we know nothing is there), if it were based on NYC (geographically), then the eastern portion of Isshu would be longer, and it would instead be the most southern point instead of Hiun.

GFA

Mega Blastoise is my homeboy
    Years
    • Seen Sep 7, 2018
    What the hell is Gridion? you didnt even back up your point.

And umbrella, post the link. Dont just say useless "info"

Palantides

Village Idiot
    Years
  • What the hell is Gridion? you didnt even back up your point.

And umbrella, post the link. Dont just say useless "info"

Gridiron is the umbrella term to refer to American Football, because lots of other countries actually play football (soccer) and need another name to refer to American "Football". The field is also called the Gridiron in the U.S. So I'm not sure why you're confused. And Umbrella can't post the link, because they have less than 15 posts here. You need 15 to post links.

Well isn't that the other side of Isshu (where the starting town is).

Yes, but if we're saying that Isshu has to match up close to a real world counterpart, then the area where the starting town is (or appears to be) matches up with Shanghai more than it does with Long Island.

Last edited:

GFA

Years
    • Seen Sep 7, 2018
    Gridiron is the umbrella term to refer to American Football, because lots of other countries actually play football (soccer) and need another name to refer to American "Football". The field is also called the Gridiron in the U.S. So I'm not sure why you're confused. And Umbrella can't post the link, because thety have less than 15 posts here. You need 15 to post links.

Right ... OK. He can still post it though, it just won twork as a link. Copy and paste it into your browser

Yes, but if we're saying that Isshu has to match up close to a real world counterpart, then the area where the starting town is (or appears to be) matches up with Shanghai more than it does with Long Island.

Well, it is kind of a caricature, so it doesn't really matter. Its similar to both.

Åzurε

Shi-shi-shi-shaw!
    Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2013
    So between the football trainers, (Broadway) musicals, flight attendants, the Liberty Ticket, Wooguru, and the general similarity to the NYC area, not to mention the fact that New York is a major entry point into the US (Route 1, far away, are you seeing my parallels?), Can we just say New York until otherwise stated?

GFA

Years
    • Seen Sep 7, 2018
    Nope. We cant. Apparently at least

Years
  • So between the football trainers, (Broadway) musicals, flight attendants, the Liberty Ticket, Wooguru, and the general similarity to the NYC area, not to mention the fact that New York is a major entry point into the US (Route 1, far away, are you seeing my parallels?), Can we just say New York until otherwise stated?
    Well, the point of the thread was to hear everyone's theories on what place Isshu may have been based off of. I'm actually kind of hoping that the Shanghai people find something pretty big to help support them. :P

Angelroid

Sun X
    Years
  • Here a better map of NYC.
    Spoiler:

Years
  • I'd have to say I'm pretty convinced that Isshu is based on New York (the STATE, not the city). I think the region is pretty diverse, and if you've ever been to New York, then you'd see it's not all city lights. I've been to both Albany and NYC, and they are pretty much totally different places. One is super city/bright lights/glam and glimmer. Albany is just filled with cutesy little neighborhoods and shops, and nice parks and trees. So I can see where you can draw all the different types of cities from. The subway/musical/big city area really convinced me that it was based on New York. And, oh yeah, the football player trainer type. :D

Åzurε

Shi-shi-shi-shaw!
    Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2013
    Well, the point of the thread was to hear everyone's theories on what place Isshu may have been based off of. I'm actually kind of hoping that the Shanghai people find something pretty big to help support them. :P

Point taken. Can we get this and related discussions unbanned on Bulbapedia, at least? >.<

Palantides

Village Idiot
    Years
  • Right ... OK. He can still post it though, it just won twork as a link. Copy and paste it into your browser

Didn't work for me when I tried before, I don't think it would work for him.

Well, it is kind of a caricature, so it doesn't really matter. Its similar to both.
    It's somewhat similar to both, but what breaks the NYC theory is Long Island. The eastern portion of Isshu looks nothing at all like Long Island in terms of shape.

rocky505

<Now who's awesome!
    Years
  • Quit making up excuses to say that it is Shanghai, It is NYC. There are WAY too many similarities to NYC than Shanghai.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back