• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Where were you on September 11, 2001?

Polar Spectrum

I'm still here; watching. Waiting.
    Years
    Pretty much that. Why is this incident in particular the one thing people pick out to ask "what were you doing at the time" about?

Beeeeecause.... we were actually alive for it? I don't think if you asked around here; "Where were you when Pearl harbor was bombed" there would be too many responses besides "i was a sperm lol" It doesn't mean it's the most devastating terrorist attack, it's the most significant most recent one on American Soil though.

Is there another terrorist attack you want to bring up to ask where people were? I'm not trying to say the US's losses are any more important than any other country's. :I

Yes, but the tragedy of the incident has been played up so much as to diminish the significance of any other terrorist attack in the mind of our generation.

There is no situation, in which genuine sympathy for so great a loss is unwarranted. Any incident is deserving of sympathy. If you want to share some again, please do, and I'll extend my sympathies. Because any senseless loss of life is significant.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    Little too early for this, isn't it? Regardless, I was 9 years old and in 4th grade. I just remember the teachers being all in a bustle about something and suddenly they turned on the tv to the news and we all just sat in awe as we watched what was happening. Being the dumb kid from Alabama that knew nothing much outside the state, I blurted out "What are the Twin Towers?" and unfortunately I was sitting next to the ONE KID that just so happened to have visited New York. He looked at me as if I just said, "I worship Satan."

The following year, we had to write a poem about it (why...) and I wrote:

"We turned on the tv and watched them fall
    But I didn't understand at all."

Honesty is the best policy? (I don't know if that got me a good grade.)

Years
    • Seen Jan 27, 2016
    Year 8 English class I remember the teacher turned the tv on to put in some video that was meant to be planned for the lesson but we ended up watching the news instead.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    Pretty much that. Why is this incident in particular the one thing people pick out to ask "what were you doing at the time" about?

I think people did the same thing for the Kennedy assassination.

Guest123_x1

I was in my second day of 8th Grade at (the then-newly remodeled) LakeVille Middle School when the attacks took place. Although it seemed like it was going to be pretty much a normal school day for me, all of a sudden, at the end of the day when it was time for the principal to make his announcements, he came on and told us all there was a terrible tragedy that occurred during the day in New York City and Washington DC. The next day, during the last class period, the teacher explained that the attacks were of a much worse scale than the Oklahoma City bombing of 1995.
    On 9-11, my mom was going to see the lawyer to get her will updated. She was listening to Johnny Burke and Jodi McHugh's morning show on WHNN 96.1 Bay City on the way to the law office, when Burke was talking about "King Kong" (according to my mom telling me about it), then the news broke in and took over the rest of the day.

Kind of amazing how everybody (including staff) at school was all hush-hush about things as the tragedy unfolded. :/

Back