• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Which bird do I use in doubles?

Hot of Dog

Failed Earth Adept
Years
  • So my doubles team on Showdown consists of Machamp, Blissey, Ambipom, Arcanine, Azumarill, and Staraptor. I used Swellow prior to trying out Staraptor and both have been pretty successful.
    My question: which bird do you think i should use? Fast Swellow after guts boost hits threats hard that out speed Staraptor, but does not have the coverage with Close Combat. Staraptor has better bulk and works with Arcanine for the double intimidate to ruin physical attackers.

I'm not sure which is better. Can you help me

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • I'm taking a third option here, and I'd rather use Talonflame over Swellow. Even though Gale Wings is redundant with its high Speed, it lets Talonflame get away with using an Adamant nature (Gale Wings gives Flying moves +1 priority). Plus, it has some neat support options in Tailwind and Quick Guard:
    -Flare Blitz
    -Brave Bird
    -Tailwind/Quick Guard
    -Protect/Quick Guard
    Nature: Adamant
    EVs: 84 HP/252 Atk/172 Spe
    Item: Life Orb/Sky Plate/Sharp Beak
    Ability: Gale Wings

or
    -Flare Blitz
    -Brave Bird
    -U-turn
    -Tailwind/Me First/Aerial Ace
    EVs: 252 Atk/4 Def/252 Spe
    Item: Choice Band
    Ability: Gale Wings

I think that Staraptor isn't a good user of Intimidate, tbh, because of its low defenses and reliance on recoil moves. Arcanine's susceptibility to Earthquake, Rock Slide and Surf (common spread moves) also makes it a risky Intimidate user. Better Intimidate users, IMO, are Mega Manectric, Therian Landorus, Salamence and Scrafty:

Mega Manectric:
    -Thunderbolt
    -Overheat/Flamethrower
    -Hidden Power (Ice)/Volt Switch/Snarl
    -Protect
    Nature: Timid/Modest
    EVs: 4 HP/252 SAtk/252 Spe
    Item: Manectite
    Ability: Lightning Rod

Therian Landorus:
    -Earthquake
    -Rock Slide/Stone Edge
    -U-turn/Knock Off
    -Protect
    Nature: Jolly/Adamant
    EVs: 252 Atk/4 SDef/252 Spe
    Item: Yache Berry/Focus Sash

or
    -Earthquake
    -Stone Edge/Rock Slide
    -U-turn
    -Superpower/Explosion/Knock Off
    EVs: 88 HP/252 Atk/168 Spe
    Item: Choice Scarf

Salamence:
    -Draco Meteor
    -Dragon Pulse
    -Fire Blast
    -Rock Slide/Stone Edge/Hydro Pump
    Nature: Naive/Rash/Timid/Modest
    EVs: 4 Atk/252 SAtk/252 Spe
    Item: Choice Scarf
    Ability: Intimidate

or
    -Draco Meteor
    -Dragon Pulse
    -Fire Blast
    -Protect
    Item: Haban Berry/Life Orb

or
    -Draco Meteor
    -Dragon Pulse
    -Fire Blast
    -Hydro Pump
    Item: Choice Specs

Scrafty:
    -Fake Out
    -Drain Punch
    -Crunch/Knock Off
    -Detect/Ice Punch/Stone Edge
    EVs: 252 HP/244 Atk/12 Def
    Item: Assault Vest/Lum Berry

Hot of Dog

Failed Earth Adept
    Years
  • Thanks, but if you must know, I run bulky Arcanine with will o wisp and morning sun. Arcanine has an air balloon for earthquake users and the intimidates and burns really help cut the damage on rock slides. plus blissey wish passes to help it if need be. I'll try out talonflame for a bird and see how that goes

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Thanks, but if you must know, I run bulky Arcanine with will o wisp and morning sun. Arcanine has an air balloon for earthquake users and the intimidates and burns really help cut the damage on rock slides. plus blissey wish passes to help it if need be. I'll try out talonflame for a bird and see how that goes

In doubles formats (and triples to a lesser extent), status recovery moves are a waste of time because of the fast pace there. There's little reason to use recovery moves like Morning Sun. There's also very little time to Wish-pass, as the receiver could be KOed before it receives the Wish.

Hot of Dog

Failed Earth Adept
    Years
  • This is true. Then would you reccomend softboiled over wish on blissey (runs wish, protect, seismic toss and T wave)? Battles are too fast paced for toxic imo

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • But...but Staraptor is a total beast!
    Staraptor @Choice band
    252 speed and attack, 4hp
    reckless
    Jolly nature
    bbird
    double edge
    close combat
    u turn

This is a doubles team, and Staraptor doesn't have much to offer in that environment apart from Intimidate support (which is done better by other Pokemon). Talonflame has some use in double formats thanks to utility in Quick Guard and Tailwind.

Back