• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Which Came First, the Game or the Anime?

Years
    I caught an episode of the anime on Cartoon Network on one day, and then ended up purchasing my Red version soon after. So I saw the anime first.

Cirrus

dreaming a transient dream.
    Years
    The anime, of course... I watched the anime when I was like four or something. : U So I couldn't play the games.

Eucliffe

☆ E N T E R T A I N E R
    Years
    I'm fairly sure I saw the anime first, because it wasn't 'til Christmas later on that I got my Yellow.

Zayin

#1 Team Rocket fan
    Years
    I received the game first, but hated it because I couldn't understand English. Then I watched the anime and loved it, so I started playing the games again. I'm still doing both.

System!

HM....................... .....
    Years
    The anime for me. I've watched since I was in second grade and I thought the Stadium game was based off the anime. I knew nothing about the main game series until fifth grade and it wasn't until sixth grade that I got a copy of Silver.

Mew~

THE HOST IS BROKEN
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2016
    I actually played Pokémon Yellow first, before even knowing about the anime. The first time I did watch the anime was a few months later on ITV. xD

Years
    1995, released Pokemon R/G/B
    1996, The Anime was created, shortly then Pokemon Yellow was introduced. It was kinda like the anime for having Pikachu as a starter.
    1999, G/S Was released
    2000, Crystal was made.
    2003, the era of 3rd Gen--R/S.
    2004, Then came Emerald, then FR/LG
    2008, 4th Gen is made, thus fandom increased.
    2009, Platinum Came...few months on so HG/SS is remade.
    2011, B/W--5th Gen is made.
    20XX, Pokemon EpicFailFinalGame will be released including 71st Gen and 13,479,210,789 obtainable and a New Pokedex named Poke-Mai-Dex, the legendary will be Nyancat, Pedobear, Mamaluigi, Malleo, Rainbowllama, Watdafacboom, Shupdawhup, and many more to be introduced.

miju-kun

soaring
    Years
    • Seen May 28, 2014
    First, the anime (Advanced Generation)
    then the games (technically my first game is LeafGreen; but Emerald is my true first game XD)
    and the cards (yeah like i care)
    and finally, the manga (why haven't i discovered it earlier ;;)

Last edited:

eightyeight0880

Shadow Avenger
    Years
    Aw Man it Would Have To Be The Games For Me When Pokemon Blue And Red First Came Out It Totally Blew My Mind I was Addicted Since Then I Might Catch An Episode Very Seldome But I Will Always Enjoy The Games No Matter What.

Jack

ego
    Years
    • Seen Mar 25, 2020
    Oh my god ! I dont really remember. Pretty sure i watched the anime first.

psyanic

pop a wheelie on a zeitgeist
    Years
    • Age 27
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 10, 2023
    I first played the games, Red version. And then I started watching the anime when it first came out.

Yoshikko

the princess has awoken while the prince sleeps on
    Years
    • Seen Apr 27, 2020
    I think I watched the anime first, but I can't clearly remember. Since I live in Europe, the release date for both game and series was different than America (I assume), and because I don't know them I can't judge from those.

The first Pokémon game I played was Yellow, and since that one was the last of the trio, I assume the anime already aired, so I think I watched the anime first, though it's a very close call.

Years
    • Seen Jun 14, 2013
    I think i played the game first, since my parents didn't let me watch much PC back then. On the other hand i can remember that i watched the first episodes... And i can clearly remember that i cryd when I watched the first Pkmn film, i still do...

Back