• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Which do you prefer? Jap w/ sub or dub?

nakoma

gothic pokemon person
Years
  • Can you give me examples on how it is edited and redone?
    episodes that have been edited or redone:
    -beauty and the beach james swim suit part taken out joke about misty's cleavage or lack there of taken out

-any episodes featuring a rice ball

-all episode intro's and ending theme vids and music edited out

-island of the giant pokemon text edited that talk about the pokemon getting drunk

-a hoenn episode feautred team rocket getting drunk off wine was changed to spring water and colored like water

ect.

The show is child friendly. Meaning that the Japanese version is just as child friendly as the dub.

depends on how you look at that. if your comparing what we consider to be "child friendly" and what japan considers "child friendly" you have to very diffrent things.
    if you compare our standard to there's pokemon would be pg-13 or 14 here in its undubbed version. where as in japan the dub and the original both have a rating of g.

Besides the some music, what's been taken out of it?

reffrences to japanese culture
    rice balls
    swearing
    alcohol use
    anything feturing the use of guns (not rocket launchers or having a gun)
    jokes about characters physical development
    ect.

Vernikova

Banned
    Years
  • Some chronicles episodes had chunks edited out and put in different places, some flashbacks were changed completely, I remember the episode where Misty left and the episode where Pikachu joined Team Rocket. And need we talk about the sandwhich again? XD But this was back when 4Kids dubbed obviously, haha.

The banned episodes, scenes cut out and dialogue edited could be examples of the dub being more "child friendly" I suppose, which has happened in both dubs, but doesn't really happen often now. From what I can remember from subs, Musashi and Kojiro go on about angels and devils in their motto, which definatly wouldn't be allowed in the dub, even though they're hardly what you would call offensive...but it would never be allowed, for some reason. And it's done whever they mention heven or hell or whatever. Then there's the scene that was cut from the Cheryl episodes. Although yeah, both are pretty much "child friendly"

Point taken. Even though I kind of doubt that a kid show would be all "hell" and "heaven" in it for Team Rocket use. I mean look at what some Dragon Ball Z dubs had. Some were like abriged series! Then again.... I see your points.

Don't talk about the sandwich please!! T.T

if you compare our standard to there's pokemon would be pg-13 or 14 here in its undubbed version. where as in japan the dub and the original both have a rating of g.

Besides the some music, what's been taken out of it?

reffrences to japanese culture
    rice balls
    swearing
    alcohol use
    anything feturing the use of guns (not rocket launchers or having a gun)
    jokes about characters physical development
    ect.

I already figured the whole music thing would count. But by redone I meant where it was like a whole different episode of a character's personality was turned upside down Legend of Thunder.

-I don't see Japanese culture taken out anymore. Some people would argue that it's returning.
    -Rice balls aren't edited anymore.
    -I remember maybe only one swear word in Pokémon ever. I don't even think there was one because it could've happened so long ago.
    -When's the last time alcohol was ever mentioned on the show?
    -Guns have appeared only once and that was in Kanto.
    -I can't argue the last point but I don't remember there being any at all. Maybe in Kanto, but no where else.

There's no way Pokémon would air TV-14 in any country in the world. Except maybe where religion is the main idea or something like that. The most is TV-Y7 anywhere besides the exceptions.

Last edited:

Lukespade

Poke'mon Author
    Years
  • -I don't see Japanese culture taken out anymore. Some people would argue that it's returning.
    -Rice balls aren't edited anymore.
    -I remember maybe only one swear word in Pokémon ever. I don't even think there was one because it could've happened so long ago.
    -When's the last time alcohol was ever mentioned on the show?
    -Guns have appeared only once and that was in Kanto.
    -I can't argue the last point but I don't remember there being any at all. Maybe in Kanto, but no where else.
    japanese culture has never been taken out
    rice balls are called donuts or sandwhiches periodically but we dont see them much anymore ayway
    ther is only one swear in pokemon May says it in her last contest before the grand festival in battle fronteir... and i thnk it was a voice actor mistake cause it jst was so random
    alcohol has never been mentioned but has been hinted at by team rocket and brock a few times
    i seriously thnk theres more then one time that guns have been mentioned but the only time i can remember is the episode where ash gets squirtle

Vernikova

Banned
    Years
  • japanese culture has never been taken out
    rice balls are called donuts or sandwhiches periodically but we dont see them much anymore ayway
    ther is only one swear in pokemon May says it in her last contest before the grand festival in battle fronteir... and i thnk it was a voice actor mistake cause it jst was so random
    alcohol has never been mentioned but has been hinted at by team rocket and brock a few times
    i seriously thnk theres more then one time that guns have been mentioned but the only time i can remember is the episode where ash gets squirtle

-Actually, 4Kids would delete Japanese lettering and other things instead of maybe translating them into English during Kanto.
    -PUSA calls them rice balls. 4Kids usually interchanged them with sandwhices, etc.
    -I think your talkin about the word "Hell". I'm not too sure though. If it was that, people heard a lot of diffent things from Haruka there.
    -Guns were used in a banned episode where Satoshi caught all of the Tauros.

Years
    • Seen Jun 30, 2014
    Subs were meant for the subway. Dubs reach an English-speaking audience...trying to learn/appreciate Japanese is a useless pursuit.

As for pkmn, yeah, the dubs language is lacking quality, but the alternative (not being subs) is looking at the epidose pics on SPP...bleh.

nakoma

gothic pokemon person
    Years
  • yea once PUSA took over from 4kids it has gotten much better but the fact still remains that through out the series history alot has been edited. watch some subbed episodes they swear alot. a good reffrence to see the diffrences would be https://trsrockin.com/japan.html and https://trsrockin.com/morelost.html
    it has a large list of diffrences. alot has gotten better since PUSA so not all the stuff I listed or that is listed there is still applicable but there is still a few things editited. oh while im thinking of it one of meowths boss fantasy's was cut you can find that one on youtube.

Vernikova

Banned
    Years
  • yea once PUSA took over from 4kids it has gotten much better but the fact still remains that through out the series history alot has been edited. watch some subbed episodes they swear alot. a good reffrence to see the diffrences would be https://trsrockin.com/japan.html and https://trsrockin.com/morelost.html
    it has a large list of diffrences. alot has gotten better since PUSA so not all the stuff I listed or that is listed there is still applicable but there is still a few things editited. oh while im thinking of it one of meowths boss fantasy's was cut you can find that one on youtube.

That fact is that there are really no swear words in the Japanese languagae IIRC. So subs are basically adding in things when they do that. Of course there are words that can be translated into swear words and there are even some of the in the English language. The point is that's not what the character is saying so in reality, the dub has closer idalouge than a sub in those cases.

That boss fantasy scared me. But I won't deny it was cut out.

Katsu Koneko

明日がある
    Years
  • I agree completely. That and I think watching it raw is more helpful with Japanese skills than watching it subbed because raw helps you improve listening skills and subtitles aren't always a direct translation.

:D Agreed Crystal Clair!

Watching RAWs helps me with my Japanese, I've been watchin' them for about 5-6 years now with Yu-Gi-Oh, Dragon Ball Z, and Pokémon. :3

Shedinjareese

Undercover Rocket
    Years
  • Eh, I think in general people are being too hard on the dub. Sure, Jessie's voice is squeaky and causes me to have to turn up the volume, but the voices aren't THAT bad. I've seen an ep in Japanese, and a sub, and both are good too. But the reason I prefer the dub is because there's nothing quite like waking up early on a Saturday morning and flipping on the TV to a new episode of Pokemon. As long as the dub is the only version like that here, well, that's what I prefer.

And, since I am still sporadically playing catch-up with season Johto through Diamond and Pearl, I'm afraid not knowing any Japanese would confuse me were I to watch the raw online, and as said before subs would distract from the action. If there's any major inconsistency, well, that's what these forums are for now aren't they?

(although, I admit, I am pretty annoyed that the Training Daze dialogue was changed, and that I won't be among the first to know if anything major happens in the series bc of how far the dub is behind the Japanese versions haha...)

Lukespade

Poke'mon Author
    Years
  • Eh, I think in general people are being too hard on the dub. Sure, Jessie's voice is squeaky and causes me to have to turn up the volume, but the voices aren't THAT bad. I've seen an ep in Japanese, and a sub, and both are good too. But the reason I prefer the dub is because there's nothing quite like waking up early on a Saturday morning and flipping on the TV to a new episode of Pokemon. As long as the dub is the only version like that here, well, that's what I prefer.

And, since I am still sporadically playing catch-up with season Johto through Diamond and Pearl, I'm afraid not knowing any Japanese would confuse me were I to watch the raw online, and as said before subs would distract from the action. If there's any major inconsistency, well, that's what these forums are for now aren't they?

(although, I admit, I am pretty annoyed that the Training Daze dialogue was changed, and that I won't be among the first to know if anything major happens in the series bc of how far the dub is behind the Japanese versions haha...)

see thats wat im talkin about. and i know how u feel about catchin. i decided that i was going to try and catch up and since i really never saw an episode past ash's battle in saffron it took me a LONG TIME seriously i watched 3 episodes of pokemon a day on the internet for a while and it took me SIX MONTHS to get here and im still about 40 episodes from completely caught up. now of course there are days and even weeks that i miss but on days that im sick oor stuff like that i really beat down on it cause its gettin anoyin lol but im determined

Jorah

What do I put here?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • UK
    • Seen Aug 18, 2021
    Yeah, I know how you feel. Excapt I had no idea what was the latest episodes and just watched loads of AG episodes randomly. I still haven't watched the whole of JohtoJourneys/Johto League Champions and Advanced Challenge

There's no way Pokémon would air TV-14 in any country in the world. Except maybe where religion is the main idea or something like that. The most is TV-Y7 anywhere besides the exceptions.

I think America is the only place that actually rates their shows while they're on TV. Well, at least no programmes come up with age ratings in the UK. It only says on the videos/DVD boxes or if it's a film on TV it'll say in the TV guide what rating it is, but it won't say for TV prgrammes. When I first started watching Battle Frontier on YouTube I wondered what the TV-Y7 was about haha. Is that the youngest rating you can get, or is there younger? We have a completly different rating system

Uc (only on videos/DVDs not at the cinema. Means Universal but aimed at young children)
    U - Universal
    PG - Parental Guidance - I don't know how this one differs from U
    12A - Only used for the cinema - means under 12s can watch if they're with a parent. When they're put on DVD they're changed to 12

The last explain themselves

ShadowDeeps

Years
    • Seen Dec 20, 2021
    There was a time where I did err towards a preference of the dub and was rather affixed to said dub. But of recent? The Japanese version with subtitles, or raw. Once one sets asunder the language barrier the amount of terseness of emotion and devotion the Seiyuus put into their portrayals begins to ring clearly for me, and I feel they generally tend to get into their characters more than the dub VAs do, especially amid the more climatic moments of the series. The only exception for me is Veronica Taylor as I feel she turned in a more memorable performance - she gave Ash more distinguished and commandingly warm tones than even Rica did, but that's just me. Maddie Blaustein as Meowth is another exception because of the verve and dynamic range she gave Meowth in tone, but the Seiyuu was very good as well, just too high toned and whiney for my tastes (even if that was for comedic flair). But I'm also very impressed about how akin Rachael Lillis was to Mayumi as Misty in her portrayals. I don't have much to say about PUSA's rather maladroit dub, other than wanting to tear my gaze from the screen whilst it's on.

But my standings remain. I say the Japanese version is the best. I just wish it would be dislodged on DVD, with English subtitles.

Last edited:

Vernikova

Banned
    Years
  • Yeah, I know how you feel. Excapt I had no idea what was the latest episodes and just watched loads of AG episodes randomly. I still haven't watched the whole of JohtoJourneys/Johto League Champions and Advanced Challenge

I think America is the only place that actually rates their shows while they're on TV. Well, at least no programmes come up with age ratings in the UK. It only says on the videos/DVD boxes or if it's a film on TV it'll say in the TV guide what rating it is, but it won't say for TV prgrammes. When I first started watching Battle Frontier on YouTube I wondered what the TV-Y7 was about haha. Is that the youngest rating you can get, or is there younger? We have a completly different rating system

Uc (only on videos/DVDs not at the cinema. Means Universal but aimed at young children)
    U - Universal
    PG - Parental Guidance - I don't know how this one differs from U
    12A - Only used for the cinema - means under 12s can watch if they're with a parent. When they're put on DVD they're changed to 12

The last explain themselves

There's TV-Y. We really just keep ratings simple for movies.

G- General Audiances
    PG- Parental Guidance Suggested
    PG-13- Parental Giudence if you're under the age of 13
    R- You need an adult if under the age of 18 IIRC.
    NC-17- No one under the age of 17.

Lukespade

Poke'mon Author
    Years
  • speaking of the dub and the jap version. who here thnks there might be a possiblilty of ash WINNING the sinnoh league. i just watched "An Elite Meet And Greet" for the first time where ash encounters lucian of the elite four. they explained for the first time how the elite four and the champion wrks in the canon world. also ash challenges lucian but lucian says only after hes beaten the sinnoh league. Possibly some forshadowing in the world of Pokemon?

miyo

grass pokemon trainer
    Years
  • HMMMM.
    For most of the anime that I watch, I'd prefer to watch only the subs.
    but for POkemon, I enjoy watching the dubs!
    I dunno, maybe it's because I've been used to the dubs since I've been watching Pokemon for 8 years now..

speaking of the dub and the jap version. who here thnks there might be a possiblilty of ash WINNING the sinnoh league. i just watched "An Elite Meet And Greet" for the first time where ash encounters lucian of the elite four. they explained for the first time how the elite four and the champion wrks in the canon world. also ash challenges lucian but lucian says only after hes beaten the sinnoh league. Possibly some forshadowing in the world of Pokemon?

Yes yes, it occurred to me too!
    Maybe the Sinnoh League will be easy to get through..? Like with lesser battles and lousier trainers. Then he'll get to challenge the Elite four.
    There hasn't been much emphasis on the elite members in past seasons, but this DP season's different..
    let's keep our fingers crossed!

Last edited:

..::Michi::..

Green Pearl Voice
    Years
  • It really depends. Anything with Luci Christian, I will watch dubbed. I tend to only like ADV Films' dubbed work. But, if the casting sucks, or one voice really gets to me, I watch the subs. Fandubs are ABSOLUTELY out of the question. But, yeah, it depends on my mood/cast/how close the dub is to the original translation.

nakoma

gothic pokemon person
    Years
  • That fact is that there are really no swear words in the Japanese languagae IIRC. So subs are basically adding in things when they do that. Of course there are words that can be translated into swear words and there are even some of the in the English language. The point is that's not what the character is saying so in reality, the dub has closer idalouge than a sub in those cases.

That boss fantasy scared me. But I won't deny it was cut out.

I would argue that point on this one. I believe the sub's choice of langauge is the closest they can get to the actual words true there not the same words they might have diffrent meaning but where there the same is that there equally as offensive as there original counter parts. If they where not why wouldn't the people making the sub just use words with a less offensive meaning. I mean I cant speak japanese so I really cant tell you if im right or if you are it just seems to make more sense they would use as close a word as possible which in turn means it is just as offensive a word.

Back