• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Which game do you think is the most fun to Nuzlocke?

Years
  • This is a question I feel like throwing out there. I've done a few Nuzlockes and Wedlockes myself, and they're meant to make the game harder and more interesting by making you use stuff you most likely wouldn't before. So this might be a highly subjective question, but I think it's worth asking: of the games we have now, which do you think are the most fun to Nuzlocke? What about the least fun? And don't base this off of your favorite or least favorite game in general, base it off of what you can get in them. I'll start it!

Personally, I think the most fun is between BW2 Challenge Mode and Platinum. BW2 Challenge Mode because of all the potential Pokémon you can get. And some of the big battles get revamped and stronger teams making for some good ones like Elesa and Clay. Then there's the Elite Four who get five Pokémon like in every other game prior, and the Champion, who makes for a very fun final battle with her team of Hydreigon, Haxorus, etc, with 100-120 power STAB moves. Platinum is the same in the sense that it has lots of Pokémon also, except it's arguably more challenging with Gym Leaders like Fantina, Crasher Wake and Candice, and has more epic fights like Cyrus and Cynthia. It can be pretty hard though, as I mentioned, but it's definitely fun. And the Vs. Seeker makes training easier (though not as easy as with Audino and the Lucky Egg). I think these two are the best to do because of their wide diversity of Pokémon, helpful conveniences and fun battles throughout. Some people might claim XY are the best for that reason, and while I will agree that they have diversity that puts these two to shame, I feel they don't have as many interesting fights. But i'm doing a Wedlocke on X over at Marriland, but i've only started it so I can't say very much on it.

And I think the worst to do is definitely GSC. Most of the Pokémon back then sucked, as did training. The Gym Leaders and Elite Four aren't even that great (except Whitney and maybe Clair), because most of them lack powerful attacks. Then the Gym Leaders in Kanto are basically pushovers after the Elite Four, and the trainers are low leveled too. Crappy Pokémon + terrible training + boring battles = not a very fun game to Nuzlocke at all. HGSS are much more fun though, because the Gym Leaders are much more challenging (especially Clair) and some of the Pokémon are definitely improved.

Now please don't say stuff like "lol no nuzlocke is hard because this and that, they're all boring", this is subjective. I'm not talking about what you think is the easiest or hardest here. What you might think is a cakewalk someone else might see as diabolical. But factoring difficulty or not, i'm curious as to what you guys think one would enjoy Nuzlocking or Wedlocking the most. So yeah, discuss.

casualCasualty

Super High School Level Fairy
    Years
  • I've done so many nuzlockes on Soul Silver it's not even funny. Soul Silver and Black would have to be my favourites, but White 2 would, too, if I had a chance to trade over my pokemon so I could restart. uwu

I haven't been creative with my nuzlocke challenges yet, but hopefully if I get some free time during winter break, I'll start another SS nuzlocke and make it more challenging haha.

Platinum I find is really fun, too, but it's also super challenging because it takes forever to get your pokemon's level high enough in certain parts of the game. It hits me hard whenever one of them "die" haha. uvu;;;

TouretteUnicorn

Professionally unprofessional
    Years
  • Interesting enough, I find hacks are far more worth nuzlocking in for providing extra challenge. Games like Pokemon Blaze Black 1-2 and White Voltage 1-2 are prime candidates for challenging battles, and having an increased span of obtainable Pokemon overall making for perfect nuzlocke runs.

FSNW5yiFrXVXqv

x/y because over time, you'd get a variety of pokemon to choose from - more than any of the other titles could ever have.

5ygn6tbh

Jan Jansen
    Years
  • I think Platinum is the hardest to nuzlocke, I did it twice with Platinum, very challeging and fun. HG/SS are in my opinion not that fun, but that's me. I never did a gen 2 or gen 5 nuzlocke so I don't know about these games.

Typhon

'sup
    Years
  • I haven't tried yet; but I think that X and Y would be great to Nuzlocke. Like said before, yes there is a variety of Pokémon to choose from, and you have the Exp. Share. Even with that, things will still be hard but not as much. From what I've played, Emerald seems really cool to Nuzlocke. There's a lot of Pokémon in R/S/E that are beneficial for Nuzlocke teams if you train and use the properly.

Years
  • I've just completed a Y nuzlocke and it was pretty fun. One of the simultaneously hardest and most fun Nuzlockes I've attempted is blaze black, you really need to think.

Years
  • Yeah, i've seen quite a bit about Drayano's hacks like Blaze Black and Volt White (2); i've seen videos on them but never got a chance to play them myself because I can't really figure out how to use Desmume well, especially since i'm on a Mac. They look awesome, though!

I didn't mention the Gen III games in the OP, because I personally think the more fun games to do are the ones with more powerful stuff and more conveniences for you to utilize. FRLG does have the Vs. Seeker, though, and an arguably better Pokémon selection than RSE, but Emerald does have some crazy fights *cough Tate and Liza cough*.

And as I said, XY can indeed be great to Nuzlocke, as I said i'm doing a Wedlocke on X myself, and it is interesting, but i'm only using the Exp. Share when my team is weak. Again, the potential Pokémon are amazing, but imo in terms of fun battles, it loses to Gen V and Platinum. I did a Nuzlocke on Black basically just for fun earlier in the summer that I didn't take too seriously, I only had one death up until the Elite Four where I had three more, then I used Reshiram to beat N's Zekrom, I know i'm lame. :P

Back