• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Which game?

Years
    • Seen Nov 7, 2021
    Hi everyone!
    I'm new to Pokémon Community and was just wondering where would be a good place to start up game play again after a looooong time. The last version of the game I played was Gold/Silver/Crystal (showing my age maybe). I recently played Blue version on my Gameboy Colour and was thinking about getting a Switch. Should I wait for the new revamped Diamond/Pearl or go for Shield/Sword or even start somewhere earlier?
    Nice to meet you and appreciate your input! :)

Years
    You can play gen 4 through 7 on the 3DS if you can find the games (some of them should be available on the e-shop, I know ORAS & x/y are)
    Gen 1 & 2 are available through Virtual Console too on the 3DS.
    You can visit Hoenn through ORAS.

Switch has LGPE, SwSh, New Snap and the upcoming games.

3DS is probably harder to obtain. Especially a new one, you'd probably have to go for a second hand one. A switch shouldn't be hard to find, they are still being made after all.

Anyway, this all depends on your budget too. older games like Black/White can be pricey to find, for example.

But if you do get a switch, some of SwSh best content imo is in the DLC.
    LGPE & New Snap are not for everyone, so depends on if you're into games like those.

Years
    Hi everyone!
    I'm new to Pokémon Community and was just wondering where would be a good place to start up game play again after a looooong time. The last version of the game I played was Gold/Silver/Crystal (showing my age maybe). I recently played Blue version on my Gameboy Colour and was thinking about getting a Switch. Should I wait for the new revamped Diamond/Pearl or go for Shield/Sword or even start somewhere earlier?
    Nice to meet you and appreciate your input! :)

ok, listen. if u haven't played gen 4, don't wait for these new remakes but instead play platinum because even if it's an older game it has a more in depth story than BD/SP. How can i know that? it's not sure till the game will be released but it's literally written everywhere that those remakes are gonna be 1:1 with pokemon diamond and pearl. so, platinum is still >>>>

secondly, u can also play pokemon black and white and their sequel. They have an amazing story. X an Y, Sun/Moon and Ultrasun/Ultramoon are the titles i liked the less in the whole series, so I d say u could try other games before.
    Sword and Shield are good games imo. I would choose them instead of BD/SP because they're lasting longer (especially if u re interested in competitive), they have a decent story and DLC are pretty good. Those games also offer Dynamax, which is my personal fav mechanics and therefore cool things like Dynamax raids and Dynamax adventures, which are extremely nice. Furthermore, it's the best game to approach to make competitive pokemon, if u re interested in that. it's like ridiculously easy, but u need to finish the story first.

About gen 3, choose emerald. it's a game that has a more interesting story and features than ruby and sapphire but it's tastes. I haven't heard many people talking bad about ORAS, but tbh I was pretty upset and disappointed when they came out because they couldn't offer the same experience of emerald. obviously emerald can't offer the same experience of ORAS too tho, cuz there are no megas and it has half of the pokedex, but still the story is better. Also, battle frontier lol. So, anyway here itìs just the same as for gen4 remakes. it's not worth it if u have a game where u can experience more. Also, I can understand choosing ORAS over emerald because it has many new features, but BD/SP will probably have only gen1 to gen4 pokemon, an uglier style (just my opinion) and new features but for minor things like the underground. and all of this for a higher price than platinum. That's the whole advice i can give u. if u want u can pm me if u have more questions :)

I 100% want to echo playing Black/White at the very least. The story is wonderful, music is great, characters are engaging, and it's just a great game overall. The sequels, BW2, are good as well and have more features, but not as good if a story. Still, I think both are worth exploring!

Platinum might also be a good idea since it has things BDSP won't.

Personally, I'd recommend playing a game from each generation you missed - despite any flaws, Pokémon games are almost always a lot of fun!

Back