• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Which Generation is your favorite?

What was your favorite generation?

• Gen. I

Votes: 29 23.0%
  • Gen. II

Votes: 60 47.6%
  • Gen. III

Votes: 22 17.5%
  • Gen. IV

Votes: 15 11.9%

• Total voters

FalconJoker

Joking with the Devil
    Years
    • Seen Jun 8, 2009
    I personally love generation four. I loved the first generation, and didn't play generation 2 and kinda 'bleh' my way through the third. But I've come back to the 4th and it's just awesome. Definitely re-ignited my love for the Pokemans.

Years
    for me its a tie between pokemon gen 1 and 2 but i like pokemon gen 1 because its anything beggins and turned me in one pokefan xD ;) but gen 2 are great too but i vote in gen 1 :)

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
    In order of favourite to least favourite: II > I = IV >>>>>>>>>>>>> III

My favourite is easily Generation II. Pokémon-wise, it had a bunch of new original creatures as well as some cool new evolutions AND pre-evolutions for Pokémon. As a kid I thought this was just the greatest ever, so I think nostalgia has a lot to do with it. The Gen II games still stand as my favourite in the main series simply because of the variety of things to do. They added so many new features like the phone, day/night, breeding, male/female, happiness, splitting special, etc. After you beat the Elite 4 you could still go back to Kanto. It wasn't just aimless "HAY HERE'S A BOAT, THERE'S AN ISLAND WITH BATTLE BUILDINGS HERP DERP." While there was no real plot for this part of the game, you got to go back and explore a world that you had become so attached to in a previous game. It was new, yet familiar. I adored that. Anime-wise, I think Gen II is where I stopped watching so idk what to say about it. XD;

After that, Gen I is my favourite. Mainly for nostalgia, I think. The games were new and never-before-seen instead of basically a rehash of the same gameplay and plot in a different country. The Pokémon were the originals so you couldn't complain about rip-offs and for the most part they were all very creative. This section of the anime was my favourite too since while there were some filler episodes, they weren't so common. You had maybe two or three between gyms whereas now it takes months to get to another gym. <_<

Gen IV is right up there with Gen I for me. Mostly because of the Pokémon designs. Sure there were some lame ones and I hate some of the new third evos (Electivire, etc.) but for the most part the Pokémon were back to the standard set by I & II. The games were a lot more fun than the disappointment (to me) that was Gen III and included so many new and exciting additions. Plot was extended and most characters were added. Definitely a fun experience. I just hate all the legendaries but I blame Gen III for starting that trend anyway. :p Can't talk much about the anime except for how dumb Dawn and her Piplup seem to be. I still don't watch it.

And Gen III just sucked. Designs were, on the whole, horrible. The game was the only one that felt like an utter chore to get through for me. I liked contests but that's about it. I think I've seen like 4 episodes of the anime from that series and I didn't like any of them. I just hated it.

Superjub

Pokémon Aureolin
    Years
    Generation II, because of Crystal among other things (read below.) XD

Generation I was revolutionary, and the generation that introduced those critters into the world. :) However, after you beat the E4, you didn't really have much to do, except battle and trade with your friends, and of cource, catch em' all. XD

Generation II was also excellent. :D It showed Team Rocket trying to recover after being defeated by 'you' 3 (?) years ago, and continued from R/B/Y, which was nice. :) Also, after you beat the E4, you could travel back to Kanto, beat the Gyms there and VS. Red (or you), the silent protoganist we've come to love. :D Plus, most of the Pokemon's designs were great. :D

Generation III was alright. :\ I mean, I loved Dive, Team Aqua, Torchic/Combusken/Blaziken and some other stuff, but it didn't seem like the last generations, with little references. :| Plus, it intoduced Pokemon such as Relicanth, Huntail and Spinda. Yeah, I really dislike there designs (sorry :()

Generation IV? Gameplay wise, it was great! Wifi, quite a good story, underground etc. Plus, the graphics and heroes look good too. But.... the Pokemon really lack the creativity which made us love Generation I and II. I mean, Bidoof, Bibarel, Magmortar, Magnezone, Lickilicky, Lopunny, Bronzong. :\ I mean Magneton looked decent, but Magnezone? Three steel ball-things into a UFO? What the...?!?! Yeah, thats all I have to say...:P (Though there were some good ones, such as Cherrim, Piplup, Empoleon, Manaphy, Mantyke etc. And the Pokemon cries were quite good, too. :D)

Zach.Is.Me.

As my name suggests, I am Zach
    Years
    • Seen Jun 11, 2009
    I dig Gen III mostly because of FireRed and LeafGreen. I loved the original story line of Red and Blue, but but it felt a bit tedious. I liked the improvements made in the Gen III remakes, like easier computer navigation, better pokemon design, and the running shoes so early in the game. I couldn't imagine walking everywhere again.

Kerotan

Gwo. Wuggo-wuggo.
    Years
    I guess that my favorite would be Gen. II, because that's when it all started for me. I REALLY hope that Nintendo doesn't screw up the remake.

Years
    Gen 1 and 2, but if I had to choose one it would Gen. 2, I was exposed to Pokemon Crystal quite lot from my brothers some years ago (about 7 years ago now), I played Crystal for about 4 years until I discovered Pokemon Emerald... hehe :D

Sweet Visions

..is cool!
    Years
    I do love Generation II for the Pokemon, but Gen. I simply has that feel for me. I have to go with that because it's when I was truly excited to watch/play Pokemon.

Giraffes? Giraffes!

ラヴィ・ヘッド
    Years
    Always loved Generation two but i'm gonna have to go with 1 considering most of my favorite pokemon are from that generation.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    I grew up with 1 and 2, like any oldie. 251 Pokemon was what made it complete as far as I'm concerned. The rest are rather frivilous imo, and with the vast graphic overhaul making the games more bright and cheerful, it never seemed right.

Shiny

content creator on twitch
    Years
    Generation III always was my favorite for some reason, maybe the fond memories of me playing Emerald lol.

Generation 2 all the way. Generation 3 introduced me to pokemon but I started playing other games, starting in Ruby, then Fire Red and finally Gold, and I was shocked that you could go to 2 regions.

My opinions on each generation:

Generation 1:
    Crapy technology at the moment but good storyline and all. Original pokemon. 3rd favourite.

Generation 2:
    Kept the 1 st generation caracteristics, and introduced new pokemons, added a new region without eliminating the other. Night/Day system... New Pokemon had the same style of the 1st. Favourite.

Generation 3 (RSE):
    Since they are my first, I thought at the beginning they were the best. For me, it has the best starters, I like them all, in each type (except Blaziken) they are the best. The storyline... not that good, but the region was bigger than Johto and Kanto alone, and had a variety of climates. After the League, there was not much to do, only the Battle Tower. 4th favourite.

Generation 4:
    For me the design of pokemon isn't a big deal (it was a few months ago). I liked that Sinnoh was even bigger than Hoenn, and had more variety of climates than any other region. It was futuristic, liked the style there. only the pokemon they could imrpove better. I mean, in the design, as people ays, altough for me it relly doesn't matter. What I wanted was weak pokemon having more acceptable evolutions, not already strong pokemons (rhydon) to have another evolution. Anyway, I still have the original pokemon, If I don't like them, then I don't evolve them. 2nd favourite.

Miss Soupy

o v e r d o s e
    Years
    Generation II. It was the generation where I got a better understanding of Pokemon after playing Yellow. For one... I learned that the Day Care people were not taking my Pokemon away forever, and I was amazed by the breeding features. :>

And going to Kanto absolutely amazed me... I was all like, "IT'S LIKE TWO GAMES IN ONE!? :'DDD"

Hurr.

.:Kanto:.

I'm back, yet again!
    Years
    1st Generation, it's the original and it's the best! I honestly don't like generation 2 that much, mostly because the starters look so ugly! (my opinion..)

Back