• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Which has the weakest storyline?

Years
    Opinion wise, I would say RSE and XY. XY's objective of making the world beautiful by destroying it was annoying and Lysandre just stops his quest at the end. Archie and Maxie from RSE had rather counterproductive goals. If the world is all water, where do the humans and land Pokemon live/grow crops? If the world is all land, where do the water Pokemon live and how will everyone get water to drink? That never made sense at all and I think the Pokemon creators were just out of ideas at the moment for forming Team Aqua and Magma.

If there ever is a Gen VII or Pokemon, the villains should be less petty, in my opinion. They should have a pretty big goal and should have more underhanded methods to get it, like have their Pokemon attack the trainer and the trainer may have to be in the hospital for a short while or avoid detection from the villain's part to not get attacked. Another option should maybe be to join the villain to get more information on the villain and stop him on his quest. Have the main character's life intertwine with the villain.

Altius

Flygon Fan
    Years
    Kanto was the most boring, but with good reason. It was the region/game that started it all. Of course a first region would not be as deep as future ones.

It was basically just a chase against your rival. In fact, Team Rocket seems rather "secondary". Giovanni as the last gym leader makes it doubly so, because you need the last badge to continue pursuing your rival anyway.

Years
    I would have to go with Kanto but lets face it, it was the first game and the first region so there is bound to be some weak story lines considering they probably had to work alot more with the actual mechanics.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    They all have major cons. RGBY are boring and basic, but being the first games in the series, it can be excused. GSC added more and while it's not a boring story, it's not very engaging either. RSE was pretty engaging, but the villains were beyond crazy. Too far gone out of their minds for me to consider an actual threat, however RSE was the first game to actually get the legendary Pokemon represented as part of the plot. I gotta give it credit for that, however it started the trend that Game Freak can't seem to put down. Though I'm not going to fault it for that. Not like we knew it'd happen. DPPt also had farfetched villains, but I have to give kudos to the stories behind the thousands of legendaries that generation. It truly is the generation of legends and myths. BW/BW2 I felt were actually engaging stories. I really enjoyed Team Plasma in both games. Their motives in the first game during the beginning really had me thinking. XY's story is so boring that I have a hard time replaying the game because I don't care enough.

With all that being said, I'm going to say XY was the weakest. Normally I'd tie it with RGBY, but like I said, they were the first games. I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt. XY on the other hand, being the latest story we've seen in Pokemon, does not have an excuse for...that. Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of other aspects I love in the game and I think it's a great game, but as far as the plot is concerned, compared to other games, I just didn't care. I don't know if this attributes to my age or what, but I just...didn't care about it. I felt like I was going through the motions.

Edit: I hope none of you take my post and analyze it in a lab or something. I'm just posting my opinion, not looking to get into a debate, haha.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 21, 2021
    I would say probably Gold/Silver, with Red/Blue not far behind.

From best story (imo) to worst.....

Unova
    Hoenn
    Sinnoh
    Kalos
    Kanto
    Johto

I feel like Unova is the only region so far that's made any serious attempts at a story though.

Back