• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Which has the weakest storyline?

Splash

But nothing happened.
    Years
    Im kinda wondering whats your take when we talk about the storyline of the main games of the pokemon franchise? For me it would be Gold/Silver since it was essentially just a sequel. Anyways whats your view on this?

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
    How does being a sequel inherently make the story bad?

For me it would have to be XY. The actions of Team Flare were soo predictable, and I am still unsure if I was supposed to be surprised when Flare's leader and the League Champion were revealed. Plus, once the plot with Flare ended, people literally just say "Well, that's that!" and continued on the journey without really fully acknowledging what happened.

Khoshi

[b]とてもかわいい![/b]
    Years
    I'm gonna have to go with X/Y too...Team Flare were like Rocket ripoffs to me, as they had the same form of attitude as Team Rocket did, while having a plan reminiscent of Neo Team Plasma from B2/W2. I'm not one for plots that are so much like previous teams, so Team Flare went a mark down in my books. I was disappointed with how poorly they did concerning Diantha and the story, as it seemed like they just placed her in random scenes. Lysandre was just...another Cyrus, in my opinion. Adding on to what the above poster said, they completely forget about the aftermath of Team Flare...is that hole going to be left there forever or what? I just hated how they were all cheery about you and your friends stopping Team Flare, while forgetting about what they've done.

Years
    For me it would have to be Ruby and Sapphire, just because I don't like how Team Magma/Aqua felt a need to add more land/water to the world since we're already as populated with it (especially water). I've talked before about why I like XY's genocide theme, and as for BW2, not only does Ghetsis become the first villain in the series to attempt to physically harm you, but N saving you with Reshiram/Zekrom was part of his plan that he uses to create Kyurem's alternate form. So I like those two for what i've discussed.

Years
    I pretty much agree with curiousnathan on this one, Kanto has quite a weak plot compared to most other regions' respective games. I know it was the beginning of Pokemon so yeah there wasn't much to work with, stories like those in Sinnoh and both the Unova games were way more epic than that.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
    Kanto is a close second for me, although I guess I will give them some slack because RBG were the first Pokemon games in general. FRLG are my least favorite Pokemon games, and it is definitely because of the story. XY, however, built up high expectations which it unfortunately did not meet. I don't think I expected much from the Kanto games, so I guess thats why they didn't stand out that much.

Mega Venusaur

Muncher
    Years
    I think that I'm going to agree with Curiousnathan. The Kanto storyline was extremely boring and predictable, whereas newer games such as Pokémon Platinum or Pokémon Black and White have extremely unique plots. However, as Hikamaru said, they were the first few Pokémon game so the producers didn't have too much to work with.

Years
    The Kanto storyline was lame, you pretty much only battled Team Rocket cause you had nothing better to do / you couldn't go anywhere else. Also except for the Rival becoming champion and the first few events in the game, nothing really happened in terms of actual plot.

Also why did a mafia boss disband a criminal organization when a 10 year old defeated him in a Gym match? He even later tried to rejoin it in HGSS only to be defeated by another 10 year old.

Years
    • Seen Feb 8, 2015
    Just because GSC was the sequel to RBY, doesn't mean that the storyline is just a worse extension. I actually felt like GSC's story was a little more mature and interesting compared to Kanto's team rocket. The villains are clearly more desperate this time around, starting off by using petty schemes to raise their funds with Slowpoke tail, practice forcing Magikarp to evolve into the incredibly in-game dangerous Gyarados, to finally taking over a city and announcing their return before the boss came back and made it official. Okay that last bit was better in RBY but let's face it, most villainous teams just up and give up in any video game when their ruler is taken out of the picture.

The rival is an improvement over Blue as well, as you see some pretty decent character development with him throughout the story. Blue doesn't really get developed as a character despite appearing, but that's because he just seems too different now.

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    I guess I prefer realistic over a crazy story line. Rby and gsc had a realistic story line that I could see happening and so I enjoyed it. I think dppt and b/w had the most outrageous end goals. Galactic's goal of creating a whole new universe was a stretch, but I thought they had good team characters which redeemed them. Team Plasma was just so dumb to me. I think Ghetsis was the only somewhat redeeming character of that team or even the entire game. All team plasma really did was add some shock value when they appear suddenly after the e4. I was not expecting that so it was interesting, but not epic in anyway.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    I actually like what they did with XY; as opposed to other games, they've made their respective evil organization, which would be Team Flare, not much of threat. Well, they were indeed a threat, but just weren't that emphasized. If they were in any other Pokémon game, they would've been dominating, and you would have been spending major time chasing after these guys.

As for which story-line I dislike, I'm not sure... I suppose I just don't dislike any. Although, I should still say that although BW2's plot was good, it just didn't have that great of an effect on me. Their prequels were fantastic, but when I played these two versions, it simply felt like a rehash, and not something new (which they were aiming for, I'm sure, but just weren't as successful in my eyes).

Seeker.

Brilliant
    Years
    I didn't particularly enjoy Kanto's storyline as much as I did the other regions. It was too simple for me. Kalos is a close second because of Team Flare not being threatening enough. I felt that they were basically a less extreme version of Team Galactic.

ShivaDF

The Scooter-riding Artist
    Years
    • Seen Aug 25, 2017
    Team Flare was pretty bad. But I think that the Kalos story overall portrayed its theme well, even if some characters weren't as well-developed as they could have been *cough*Sycamoreisreallydumb*cough.*

I'd say Kanto was the weakest story. It wasn't bad, but later games expanded it and its themes much better.

pastel_fallout

Sayounara
    Years
    I'd like to say the Kanto and Kalos regions had the worst storylines in-game.
    Kanto is so very simple in comparison to a region like Sinnoh.
    Though, this opinion may be a bit biased due to Kanto being done to death. At the time of R/B/Y's conception, it was phenomenal. It seemed like it couldn't get much better. Then new regions popped up. Adding Kanto in so many of the core games didn't help either.

Kalos is a lot like Kanto in the respect that it's so similar. It has a similar "Bad Guy" team, finding MewTwo in a cave at the end, and not much to do after game.
    It may be getting rave reviews, but I think they're mostly biased on the fact that the game is rendered in fully 3D graphics, Fairy typing, rather OP MegaEvolutions, and customizable Trainers.

Don't get me wrong, I loved these two games to death, but I just think other core games in the series are much better. *rolls away*

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Mar 20, 2016
    X and Y. Everyone knew what Team Flare was going to do next. Team Flare is just a wannabe Team Rocket.

Majestic Electric

Raining on your parade!
    Years
    While X & Y have a much weaker story compared to other past Pokemon titles, I'm going to have to say Kanto. It makes sense that it wouldn't really have a story, seeing as R / G / B / Y started it all and introduced the game's concept, but I still find it weaker than X / Y. It was just too simple for my taste.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
    Either Red/Blue for having a basic plot (it is the first game after all) or Gold/Silver for not doing much about Team Rocket's comeback.

DJTiki

top 3 most uninteresting microcelebrities
    Years
    Pokémon X and Y, had a weaker story. Team Flare was one-dimensional, and other than attempt at Mass-genocide, it seemed only Lysandre cared. Team Flare was very dumb, I would've loved for them to just try and make money, like we thought they would. AZ was fine, and was probably the only thing redemmable about the story. And don't get me STARTED on the rivals.

Back