• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Which is the best starter trio?

Years
    As a three-Pokémon combo, which are the best three starters?

1. Charizard, Blastoise, Venusaur
    2. Typhlosion, Feraligatr, Meganium
    3. Blaziken, Swampert, Sceptile
    4. Infernape, Empoleon, Torterra

...or all they all as good as eachother?

ceremony

rah rah
    Years
    i'd go with 1. charizard, blastoise, and venusaur are ALL powerful in my eyes. plus, the only ones from the other generations i like are feraligatr and sceptile

1stGenNut

1st Gen Fanatic
    Years
    1. Charizard, Blastoise, Venusaur - Top Choice! The first, and best.
    2. Typhlosion, Feraligatr, Meganium
    3. Blaziken, Swampert, Sceptile
    4. Infernape, Empoleon, Torterra

About the others:

Group 2 - Felt indifferent to them, but I didn't hate them
    Group 3 - Sceptile = pile of crap. Swampert didn't really make go wow, but Blaziken did.
    Group 4 - Infernape = rip off of Blaziken me thinks. Empoleon = great design, nice steel mix...though it had added weaknesses. Like, fighting. Torterra = Never used it/trained it. Can't say.

ErickaVolt

Born to kill.
    Years
    2 is the best. Typhlosion has a weakness of water, but water-type attacks can't kill him easily. Feraligatr has a strong firepower and it has a lot of cool attacks. Lastly, Meganium has low defense but attack, sp attack and HP is high. You can count on them. I even defeat Elite Four with no Revives or Hyper Potions, but I only used Eithers. :P

Years
    • Seen Feb 3, 2023
    2, both because it's my favorite gen, and because I see a good balance of what Nintendo was doing back then. They were fresh off the first gen, they had their creative juices flowing, and they put out some really good Pokemon, IMO, in the Johto generation. Nothing was really botched (except Meganium...).

As Darknessvolt brought up, Typhlosion has the water weakness, but Thunderpunch was a TM in that gen, which made him even more powerful :D!

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2013
    1st gen by a long way, they were all so cool. 4th gen were terrible, a penguin, a monkey and an island. I didn't like them what so ever.

sirboulevard

Apricorn Maniac
    Years
    2nd Gen was the best, with Gen I behind by a hair. I agree dragonsrule, Gen IV was just terrible. I traded away my DP starter for a Entei because I hated it so much.

Hazuki

delenda est.
    Years
    • Seen Apr 20, 2011
    1st gen by a long way, they were all so cool. 4th gen were terrible, a penguin, a monkey and an island. I didn't like them what so ever.

An island? I guess that would kind of suit Toterra lol

I would probably say a tie between 1st and 2nd generation has the best starter trio because of looking at the stats. Not to mention they have the same stats.

Meganium, Blastoise-Eh, not so hot, but it has a good balance of stats, just HP might be a bit low
    Typhlosion, Charizard- Both have very good attack, Sp. attack, and speed
    Venasaur, Feraligatr- Pretty good stats, about the same, although Venasaur has more Sp. attack and Feraligatr has more attack.

.Bastion

O a t h k e e p e r
    Years
    Well from a competitive perspective, it's between third and fourth generation.

The top two starters are Infernape and Swampert which are from fourth and third respectively. So it depends on who is better between Blaziken & Sceptile and Empoleon & Torterra.

Personally though, second generation is my favorite set of starters.

Years
    i thought second generation looked the coolest, while first generation play the best

charizard is a beast, but typhlosions an awesome tank and blaziken can take down the best of the best if used right

Years
    • Seen Oct 15, 2010
    #1, they got it right the first time, originals will always be my favorite. Though I did like my blaziken.

Back