• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Which languages can you speak?

Percy Thrillington

The Mad Hatter
    Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    English is my mother tongue thanks to the Normans invading my country around 1190. I'm also able to speak Irish fluently, because my grandparents used to drill the language into me when I was younger and because Irish is compulsary in my country's education system until you leave secondary school. Sadly, due to the fact that my primary school teachers were awful and because the Celts couldn't come up with an independent alphabet (Ogham was destroyed by Latin characters and because the Celts didn't write at all, the Normans got to determine how Irish would be written), I'm awful when it comes to reading or writing Irish. Protip: never let your language use another's alphabet. Unless you're French, your language is going to be incredibly hard to understand.

On the other hand, I'm able to write and read French easily, and I know a lot of vocabulary, but when it comes to talking... ugh, it's horrible. I can never get those nasal sounds right and when I find myself in the rare circumstance that I'm talking to someone French, their accent is normally to thick to comprehend anything.

Learning German, Japanese or Latin would be ideal, as well. Seeing as the Germans are going to walk away with an amazing economy, I'd probably be able to get a job over there. Japanese would be cool because working in the technology capital of the world would be pretty awesome. And Latin impresses everyone, right? I'll probably never learn any of them though. Don't have the time, or the willpower.

Yamikarasu

Wannabe Hasbeen
    Years
    I can only speak English fluently... it sucks. I feel so... ignorant. :P

I attempted to learn Mandarin Chinese, but after taking the language for four years at school, and still not being able to move past swear words and your mom jokes, I'm 90% sure I'll be dropping it next year.

Ni hao! Ni de mama bu hao zai chuang! Hen pang! Tai gui le! :D

s0nido

turn up the engine
    Years
    I can only speak one fluently, and that's English. I envy the people who can speak more than one language fluently, but I am trying. I can speak snippets of Indonesian, as I'm learning it at school. I can understand Arabic to some extent, as well as my parents' mother tongues.

Years
    French is my primary language, English is secondary, I'm very fluent in German, & I started learning Russian in highschool but my teacher left so I've been teaching myself

RYOUKI

survive the world.
    Years
    Unfortunately, I'm one of those people who can only speak 2 languages. English and Tagalog. Nakakainis minsan dahil and mga kaibigan ko dito ay marunong ng madaming pang mga lenguahe.

If snippets, I can understand Japanese, Chinese, and Malay.

derozio

[b][color=red][font=helvetica][i]door-kun best boi
    Years
    The only two languages in which I'm fluent are: Hindi and English. Hindi's my primary language and so that's not a problem. I started learning english at a pretty young age which helped me a lot in picking it up pretty fast. Also, I can speak another local language to a certain extent. That would be: Marathi. It's spoken only in the state 'Maharashtra' from India.

Hiidoran

[B]ohey[/B]
    Years
    Aside from obviously being fluent in English, I have experience with Spanish and Japanese. There for a while I was pretty good at the first, but I've lost my ability to understand a good bit of it after not using it for a long time. I can read and understand most of it, but speaking... not so good at that. Japanese, on the other hand, is a language I've fervently been learning for quite a few years.

My conversational level in it is next to minimal, but I feel my ability in the language is progressing. Remembering all those "daily-use" kanji is pretty daunting though. .__.

Kinda sucks that I can't say I'm able to communicate in another language when I spend a good deal of my academic time focusing on it. Knowing another language really puts you ahead of the competition when it comes to looking for a job, guys. ^^

Beelzenef

Luffy
    Years
    • Age 21
    • Seen May 2, 2011
    I can speak English and I can understand most Spanish.
    For some reason I don't like speaking Spanish.

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    I speak English. I also speak a bit of Thalassian. I took French class for three years, but after not having it in a year, I've forgotten much of the language.

Eternal Nightmare

Stunningly Handsome
    Years
    • Seen Aug 21, 2015
    English is my natural born language so of course that xD.

I can speak conversational wise in Spanish although most phrases I'm starting to forget D:. I guess that means I better study up C:.

I can also speak bits and pieces of Japanese. Not quite enough to hold a full blown conversation xD.

Numbers

Say my name
    Years
    I speak English as it's my first language but I also speak a little French, although, not enough to hold up a full conversation. (I used to be able to)
    I also speak a language that I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned... Scottish. (Scottish Gaelic)
    Since I'm from Scotland I wanted to learn this because Chan eil aon chànan gu leòr!!!! (One language is never enough)

S toigh leam briosgaidean gu mòr!
    !
    Anways, Mar sin leibh an dràsda.

Years
    Eh, pretty much just English, but some Spanish also due to taking it in High School. That's all though.

Rainflower

분홍신
    Years
    Fluent in my native language (Indonesian) and English. Well, still improving of course. I know I still have some mistakes on my English.
    I understand a bit of Japanese though xD;; (like, 2%)

I want to learn Korean, Italian, French, Spanish... well that's too much, perhaps. But languages are interesting, really.

Years
    • Seen May 26, 2012
    I was born In the Phillpines and lived there for a long time and I know how to speak Fillipino. And I am also Fluent In English

I can speak English(of course), a tiny bit of Tagalog(okay, maybe 1% -.-), and some Spanish, although I'm only fluent in English.

I'd kill to be a least bilingual ._.

I'd really love to learn Japanese and French.. Those languages are quite interesting.

I speak 100% Tagalog Cuz I was born there and lived there for a long time. I also speak English Of Course Because I moved to The USA With my Family.

Last edited:
    Back