• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Which OS is better for ROM Hacking?

MonkeyBoyJoey

Pokemon and 70's Robot Anime GEPPY-X fan
    Years
    Hi everyone! I hope this is in the right section but if not, could a moderator or admin move it?

I was wondering what OS would be better for ROM hacking: Windows XP 32-Bit or Windows 7 32-Bit? I wanted to use PGE but it requires .NET Framework 4.5, which isn't available for Windows XP afaik. Should I upgrade to Win7 32-Bit? Would everything run normally like on XP?

I guess another option is installing XP in a VM for the tools that need it and use Windows 7 64-Bit on my gaming PC for everything else. That way I could keep everything on the same PC.....

What OSes or VMs do you guys use for ROM Hacking?

Years
    Hi everyone! I hope this is in the right section but if not, could a moderator or admin move it?

I was wondering what OS would be better for ROM hacking: Windows XP 32-Bit or Windows 7 32-Bit? I wanted to use PGE but it requires .NET Framework 4.5, which isn't available for Windows XP afaik. Should I upgrade to Win7 32-Bit? Would everything run normally like on XP?

I guess another option is installing XP in a VM for the tools that need it and use Windows 7 64-Bit on my gaming PC for everything else. That way I could keep everything on the same PC.....

What OSes or VMs do you guys use for ROM Hacking?

Most tools don't support anything other than Windows with .NET Framework 4.5(in general).
    Tools that run only on XP are outdated and you shouldn't ever use them.

Back