• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Which Pokemon have you caught as "Shiney"?

Valmordian

Demigod
    Years
    Stouph said:
    I've never ever seen a Shiny! Not even in Ruby!!
    How am I suppose to recognize a Shiny??

When it appears it has some sparkles that come around it and it is a different color than its original counterpart.

Desaparecidos

[Bright Eyes]
    Years
    • Age 39
    • mass
    • Seen Oct 15, 2004
    i'm still searching for my shiny Gastly! haha i won't quit.

oh and i read somewhere that it's a 1 in 65,000 chance. so basically, 1 in 65,000 encounters their will be a Shiny. haha awesome odds. psyche.

Years
    • Seen Dec 21, 2004
    i found a shiny ratata but it was rite after oak gave me balls, my other ratata at the same level just had to have a critical hit and make it faint,(goes to bed and cries himself asleep)

NiNGi

Banned
    Years
    LoL.... the only Shiny Pokemon i have ever had are Red Gyarados in Gold (i suppose everyone has it =P) and a shiny wingull found in Ruby.... Lmao at first i didnt recognise it was shiny... u know, while surfing all those stupid weak wild pokemon come to you and u always c em the same, but b4 it did its cry it had something like stars flying around it and it was green XD so i said OMG I GOTTA CATCH THIS! XD

Years
    • Age 35
    • Seen Oct 15, 2012
    Desaparecidos said:
    how long did it take of wandering around before you found it? i've been looking for the past hour and a half loll
    it took me around 45 minutes to an hour, i got very lucky. after a while of getting annoyed with walking around i decided to just stand in place and use sweet scent. it worked pretty well. i just killed whatever came up and it gave me a way to train my ponyta to a rapidash.

Stouph

Veteran Trainer
    Years
    I just got the Nintendo Player's Guide for FR/LG and it says that it's not a matter of odds... it's a matter of how long you've been playing... The guide says "If you travel the world of Kanto for a very, very long time, you might come across a rare, specially colored Pok?mon."

This is from the official source...
    but anyways, believe what you will...
    one thing is for sure, they sure are hard to find!! :D

Pounce

renai kakumei
    Years
    Stouph said:
    I just got the Nintendo Player's Guide for FR/LG and it says that it's not a matter of odds... it's a matter of how long you've been playing... The guide says "If you travel the world of Kanto for a very, very long time, you might come across a rare, specially colored Pok?mon."

This is from the official source...
    but anyways, believe what you will...
    one thing is for sure, they sure are hard to find!! :D

no, it's still a matter of odds. they just mean that the odds are so great that theoretically it will take you a very long time before you find one (like I think it's 1/8164 or something, think how long you would expect to search before finding something under those conditions x_x). besides, then how would you explain the cases where people find one within their first hour?

stewie&rupert

the evil Senior Member
    Years
    i have a shiny liloone,cacturn, and a new vileplume. i had a red gyaradosXP,and a shiny onix on my silver.

my friend found a golden magikarp but he only had two great balls and it came out twice>_<

I WANT A SHINY MEWTWO SO BADLY!!!!!!!!

Valmordian

Demigod
    Years
    Freaking A man. I was playing two nights ago and fell asleep, right? Then the power goes out during the night so my SP can't recharge while I was sleeping and then it runs out of power and I lose my Shiny Snorlax... now I have to try and get him again.. as well as all those levels I lost from not saving.. Grr..

Pogiforce-14

EV/IV Trainer
    Years
    In all my different games, I caught a shiney Cleffa, a Shiney Gyarados (of course) a shiney Tentacool that evolved into a tentacruel, and a shiney Caterpie that evolved into a metapod and then butterfree.

Chairman Kaga

living in the past
    Years
    I've never seen a shiny pokemon since I first played pokemon silver...in that, I got the red gyarados, found a shiny tangela under pallet town, and a shiny donphan in mt. silver...sad thing is that I think the odds of encountering one were even smaller in GSC than in RSFRLG...I need to set aside a day to go around in the grass and do nothing but hunt for shiny pokemon.

And, I know they make a sparkly noise in GSC, but do they make the same noise in RSFRLG? The thing is, I'll often play with my eyes closed but with headphones when I'm shiny-hunting...

Zoda_X

Meet the Blade
    Years
    I have a Shiny Moltres in LG I reset only two times and I got it!I forgot to reset for Zapdos and Articuno but wild shinies none so far!

Toothache

Deepsea Toothache
    Years
    You're not the only one, Nick. Apart from the Red Gyarados from GSC which everyone sees, I've never seen a single wild shiny. I'm beginning to wonder if they purposely took them out of the UK versions or something...

PazzKat

Back and looking 4 smiles!
    Years
    There's....a....red Gyrados....in Silver.....wow...
    Let's see how long was silver...? Um....3-4-5 years? I caught a shiney spearow! Except...my friends and I beleive he isn't really shiney, he just stayed in the sun too long and got bleached. >_>; I also saw a shiney tengela (sp). "Yipee! Shiney!!!" -drools- Go, Raichu! weaken it with non effective attacks! -second attack critical hit, drops dead.- NO!!!! -sobs.- -trades raichu for a electro.- Darn thing.... Diligence, luck, and an act of whatever is in the cloudy place is what you need to get a shiney....they sparkle!!! -^^- owner of : LeafGreen

Desaparecidos

[Bright Eyes]
    Years
    • Age 39
    • mass
    • Seen Oct 15, 2004
    rsgh5 said:
    it took me around 45 minutes to an hour, i got very lucky. after a while of getting annoyed with walking around i decided to just stand in place and use sweet scent. it worked pretty well. i just killed whatever came up and it gave me a way to train my ponyta to a rapidash.

man you are sooo lucky. i've never ever ever even seen a shiny in any Pokemon game i've played. and i have them all, except Yellow.

Back