• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Which starter did you pick?

Which did you pick?

• Total voters

1Roxas

Years
    • Seen Jun 15, 2012
    I'm stuck between Snivy and Oshawott,
    normally I would choose the fire type,
    but Tepig doesn't really appeal to me.

Years
  • Back in 2010, I would've said Tsutarja, or Snivy now. But after playing the game for a few hours, it's undeniable that Snivy, and it's line, does not fit my needs. In fact, it fainted so many times I said "Screw this" and put it in my PC for good.

After that fiasco, I tried Tepig/Pokabu. Different problem, same solution. It was too slow, it was a disaster. First of all, against the Water-type, Tepig could barely hold a candle. It could barely survive any sort of attack that was super effective, even when it evolved, it just gained more weaknesses so I put it in my PC. There's something wrong when you loss to Burgh/Arti and you had the advantage.

So there was Oshawott/Mijumaru. To be honest, I hated it. I thought it's design was terrible. But it was the only I had yet to try, so I used it. It satisfied my taste, to say the least. Even against the Grass-type, it proved to be a worthy fighter. It didn't faint easily, without giving a fight, and it was a mixed sweeper. So, in the end I made it to the end with Daikenki.

If you couldn't have bothered to read that all, I'm picking Oshawott. The game designers obviously did not know what they were doing this time around, in my honest opinion. Which is why Sinnoh had the best starters, compared to this one.

Years
  • I usually always pick the fire type. I am a fire Pokemon trainer I love fire types but this time I am going to choose Snivy. Snivy appeals to me the most.

Captain Hobo.

Posting King
    Years
    • Seen Sep 4, 2011
    I am going to pick Snivy because I always pick grass types. They look so cool and I love there moves. They are also friendly and loyal:D

レイジングブラスト

Back after a short break
    Years
  • After seeing Oshawott in the anime my view on it changed completely so instead of picking Snivy like I originally intended, I'll be getting myself an Oshawott. I also took a look at Samurotts stats and they make Serperior look inferior.

Years
  • Interesting. Ever since Oshawott's final evolution was shown, Tepig's popularity has plummeted. xD I remember when people hated Oshawott 'cuz it was so "ugly". :P

Years
    • Seen Jul 18, 2012
    DUDE! OSHAWOTT PWNS NO MATTER WHAT
    btw I like calling it Mijumaru.
    Daikenki is So DABOMB. And i agree, daikenki does make serperior look inferior!

Last edited:

SonicTH

Crazy Sonic and Poke-fan
    Years
    • Seen May 30, 2011
    Snivy...This Pokemon has become one of my favorite=) Oshawott in second place,but he's cute too)

Years
    • Seen Nov 10, 2013
    Why doesnt anyone like Tepig? is it because its name sucks real bad? i've already played through all the starters. Osshawott's last ev is the best long run, but for battle's tepig's last evo IS A BEAST. SO TEPIG FTW

Years
    • Seen Apr 8, 2011
    Usually go for fire/water type, but snivy actually appeals to me so it's got to be smugleaf ;D

King Gumball

Haven't been here for ages...
    Years
  • I haven't posted here yet! I will pick Snivy because Serperior is just... a beats <33 I ove Serperior ever since I saw it, and it's speed is amazing. It's design is incredible, and I really want to see it in the Anime already >.<

I like all the other starters too. Oshawott and Tepig are adorable and I would love the Tepig line even more if it's final evolution was Fire/Dark.

Years
    • Seen Mar 16, 2011
    Definitely going with Snivy.
    I almost always pick the grass starter and Serperior fits perfectly with my battling style - not to mention they're beautiful. Gotta love the smugness.

Draknir

The God of Fire
    Years
  • I've used all three of them, so I don't know exactly which ones. Really, because each has its advantages, it is extremely hard to choose. I'm definitely going with Oshawott in Black, since I've gone with Snivy and Tepig in my Japanese one. Don't really know about White. Probably Tepig, since I got a Snivy off the GTS and used it in my Japanese version of it.

Of course, if I choose to, I can have all three in both games. :P

SilverCrown

Fired Up!
    Years
    • Age 35
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 6, 2022
    Normally I'd go for the grass starter, but this time I will be going with Tepig. He's just that awesome! :]

Back