• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Which Starter Is The Best Choice?

Which Starter Is The Best Choose

• Totodile,Croconaw,Feraligater

Votes: 48 38.1%
  • Chikorita,Bayleef,Meganium

Votes: 13 10.3%
  • Cyndaquil,Quilava,Typhlosion

Votes: 65 51.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

D0N3GAN

Working on Pokemon White...
Years
    • Seen May 24, 2011
    I would say Cyndaquil is the easiest starter of the three, followed my Totodile and then Chikorita.
    I would do the complete opposite of this though, starting with Chikorita, then Totodile and lastly Cyndaquil. :)

レイジングブラスト

Back after a short break
    Years
  • I guess it all depends on yout play style. I like to have Pokemon with an average to great Atk/SpAtk stat and can learn a good variety of attacks and that's why Feraligatr is my choice. Typlosion has a good offense too but its movepool is horrible(mostly fire attacks).

Kunny

Caterpie's a boss
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Mar 11, 2011
    I love Quilava, so I always go with Cyndaquil

Years
  • REDX

Cydaquil just looks way cooler so i would always go with cyndaquil, but chikarita would be worth raising. now totadile is pretty cool too.

FrostPheonix

Eternity.
    Years
  • Typhlosion line. They are much better than any other line, and you can't get a decent fire type early enough. I think magby is the first fire type you can get, other than cyndaquil, and thats in Ecruteak.

BHwolfgang

kamikorosu
    Years
  • Personally, I would pick either Tododile or Cyndaquil because of it's easier to beat the game with their later evolutions.

Chikorita is a challenge. Not only is it weak, Chikorita's later evolution Meganium isn't that great if one's looking for an offensive Pokemon. However, it's probably the best Grass-type to use except Bellossum. (if one doesn't transfer other Pokemons into the game)

kelario26

PKMN Breeder
    Years
  • Usually I pick whichever one will beat the first gym easiest. Chikorita is weak to flying, so it's out of the game. Cyndaquil is easier to beat the second gym with, so I go with that.

Dragonite's Wrath

Dragons are my Heart and Soul
    Years
  • Chikorita learns support moves like Light Screen/Reflect and Synthesis, but when it comes to attacking, Its Terrible. The reason its a formidable opponent is its covers itself with Reflect/Light Screen, and when low it heals itself. Its attacks dont do much.
    Totodile has mostly attack moves but it is average. Its good for ending the fight early.
    Cyndaquil is the same as Totodile, except it gets smokescreen which makes up for later in game. Cyndaquil is for burning your way through the game. Fire types are always my choice

Join Team Plasma

solarowl

I'll always be an Outsider.
    Years
  • Totodile. It evolves early, and I love its stats. Plus, it has some pretty good egg moves if you breed one.

Necrolium

Flygon Trainer
    Years
  • The best choice would probably be Totodile. I'm not saying that because I love all water starters, but mainly because it doesn't have any weaknesses against gym leaders in johto and it learns ice fang which can give you an advantage against Claire and Lance. In kanto it only has two weaknesses, Lt. Surge and Ericka. Also Feraligatr is kinda powerful too.

Cyndaquil is good but Whitney would give you a rough time with rollout and Claire will give you a rough time with Kingdra and Gyarados as well. Lance's gyarados is powerful too . In Kanto, it will be weak against Brock, Misty, and Gary's Rhydon and Gyarados is very powerful also.

Chikorita is weak but has good defense and will probably have the hardest time beating the game with it.

Years
    • Seen Oct 25, 2013
    I almost always pick Chikorita for my Gen 2 games. Although as others have stated the evolution line is more defensive, I prefer the defensive types when playing the games.

Destiny.

The Absol Master
    Years
    • Seen Oct 31, 2019
    Cyndaquil path. Hands down. In the older games, I hated how the Totodile evo path got great Attack, but since Water was Special... I was meh about Chikorita's stats.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back