• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Which subjects do you think are unnecessary?

Đ a r κ

Love Intent
    Years
    M.A.T.H. I honestly find no high purpose of it. Well to some extent math is nessessary but once you get the hang of it, it should not be tought. And couchwhipneoship, I strongly agree and I am now taking pre algebra and am horrible at it yet I have not incountered it in the real world. I tried to explain to my mom that I wouldn't ever need it but all she said was "Well you still need to learn it." I was like. "Yea but if i'm not going to EVER use it, why learn it? Am I supposed to use it when I have nothing better to do?" My math teacher actually said to my class that if we are the kids of tomorrow, then she was scared. After that, I got to thinking. Hm, that is kinda true. But hey atlest we do things the easy way instead of you adults.

coachwhipneoship

squeezer of lemons
    Years
    M.A.T.H. I honestly find no high purpose of it. Well to some extent math is nessessary but once you get the hang of it, it should not be tought. And couchwhipneoship, I strongly agree and I am now taking pre algebra and am horrible at it yet I have not incountered it in the real world. I tried to explain to my mom that I wouldn't ever need it but all she said was "Well you still need to learn it." I was like. "Yea but if i'm not going to EVER use it, why learn it? Am I supposed to use it when I have nothing better to do?" My math teacher actually said to my class that if we are the kids of tomorrow, then she was scared. After that, I got to thinking. Hm, that is kinda true. But hey atlest we do things the easy way instead of you adults.

Yes, EXACTLY! ;D 100% agreed...

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
    Years
    Sociology. While I admit that a study of people may be necessary for a better understanding of why we do the things we do, the entire subject just feels like a rehash of psychology and anthropology mixed with common sense disguised in pretty words. Like "social deviance." And "habitus." (This may be coming from the fact that my sociology final is tomorrow, and I'm feeling particularly jaded after having studied nothing but for the past couple of hours. Maybe.)

Years
    • Seen Jan 13, 2009
    Hmm...I don't find any subject unnecessary, but I just don't like PE and English, mainly for me because PE teachers tick me off (a bad reason for that, but it's tiring for unfit guys like moi), and English is just too...boring. Plus I hate doing orals. :\

Years
    I think that really depends on what you're studying. It would be crazy to have to take three levels of Math if your future profession doesn't call for serious math skills, or three levels of art classes if you don't need artistic talent. In that case, you shouldn't have to take more that's needed... as long as you've taken one course in that subject.

However, to just say one subject on the whole isn't needed isn't right. First off, some profession WILL need the classes you absolutely hate. Just because you don't need it doesn't mean someone else will. You'll come up with some terrible people in your important professions if you take it out.
    Second, even the basics can help make you a better person. For subjects like Math and English (or your native language, either or), you need the basic skills at least. Learning about literature can help you imagine, or maybe it'll provide a good distraction/journey/whatever you choose for you, and it'll probably help you think better. History is good for learning from mistakes and learning about other cultures. Geography is good for knowing where places are, and the map skills might help later in life. PE is good for your body, especially in this era where people are just starting to get lazy. Even a little art can be good, even if it's just to appreciate the things around you.

I think a little extra knowledge won't hurt at all. It'll make you smarter, and for some people, it makes them feel better to know more. It'll also make you a better person. Sure, you might not think smilies and metaphors and equations will matter, but they will. Either they will have applications in life or they will broaden your thinking. The better and deeper you think, the better you will be.

Humans are narrow-minded enough as it is. Broadening your horizons won't hurt at all.

But I will say I've never complained about taking a subject I 'won't need later.'

Legacy

The Living Legend
    Years
    • Seen Nov 16, 2009
    I don't know how the hell people can think that Physical Education is an unnecessary. In a time where obesity runs rampant and the general physical health of our youth is pathetic, Physical Education is one of, if not THE, most important subject at school.

Yes, other subjects can help you on the way to a career. But P.E. will help you on the way to a healthy life, and I know which one I think is more important.

Pokedragonfire

ph34r |\/|y 1337 n1nj4 5k1||z
    Years
    I don't know how the hell people can think that Physical Education is an unnecessary. In a time where obesity runs rampant and the general physical health of our youth is pathetic, Physical Education is one of, if not THE, most important subject at school.

Yes, other subjects can help you on the way to a career. But P.E. will help you on the way to a healthy life, and I know which one I think is more important.

I disagree that it will cause people to live healthier lives. True, you may be getting physical activity while you take it, but many people (myself included) just stop when they don't have the class. The people who would continue getting physical activity would have done so without the class anyway, they probably are involved in school sports or other outside of school sports.

Now I do agree it COULD be a very important subject, if it could only effectively cause people to exercise and keep fit outside of class. The only problem is, that some people don't like it (just as many people in this thread don't like math ;P) and they won't do it.

At least in my PE class we just play sports and don't really learn anything. It was difficult for me to even learn how to play the sports, they take weeks, months, years of practice, yet we went through them in a couple of days, nowhere near enough time for me to get any real feel for the sport. This is why I think it was an ineffective class.

Also, the when the class is in teams, this is what happens that makes the physically weak weaker and the strong stronger: the skilled students always have the ball, are making the passes, are active in the game, preventing lesser skilled students from participation. Even if a less skilled student wanted to participate, the skilled players usually will only occasionally toss the ball to a lesser skilled student, and then the lesser skilled player usually messes up and the skilled players won't throw again for awhile. The teams hinder students who could most improve, the students who are what the class was made for.

A nutrition/PE class with more focus on the individual or small groups would be nice. I know teamwork is important, but it only works if everyone's skill level is similar to allow everyone a chance.

Many gym classes have the problem with their attitude of combating obesity. Obesity is more affected by food intake, than exercise. In fact I learned in my gym class that it takes about 40 minutes of exercise (all at once without stopping) before your body even begins to burn fat (yet we still tried to anyway). Therefore, PE should focus on nutrition more than sports, if its objective is to prevent obesity. PE is better for letting people get in to shape by building stamina and muscle, not losing weight. Plus not everyone is obese and it would be unfair to make everyone take a class designed for obese people. :| Which is what a lot of PE classes may be like.

Dawg 2005

The original Dawg 2005
    Years
    Math is totally necessary, but like Algebra and stuff, not as much.

I believe that History isn't need so much, same with foreign languages, those should be like electives. XD But I do love history, it's so easy and interesting. Perfect for the John. XD

Shiny Umbreon

光るブラッキー
    Years
    This forum seems to be full math-hating people (not so surprising).

Anyway, IMO, Spanish (English for you, whatever your language is), History, Geography, Music, Art, Religion are not so necessary subjects, but they are not useless, anyway.

Back