• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Which was the hardest pokemon to catch?

What was your hardest legendary to catch?

• Total voters

Katana

Doin' it Katana Style!
    Years
    Well...

- Giratina has a catch rate of 3.
    - Mesprit has a catch rate of 3.
    - Heatran has a catch rate of 3.
    - Dialga has a catch rate of 30.
    - Palkia has a catch rate of 30.

So technically, Gir., Mes., and Heat. should be equally difficult to capture. Funny thing to note is that Dialga's/Palkia's catch rate is equivalent to Chatot's catch rate... haha. Based on the capture circumstances, however, I'd have to go with Mesprit. It flees from battle right away unless there is some factor used to lock it in/Quick Ball is able to catch it first try.

rxpapi12

Metal Gear....
    Years
    • Seen Jul 14, 2009
    Your mom

Giratina I gave up after I gave it a 100 hard balls so i used my used my masterballz

Years
    • Seen Feb 12, 2013
    I always kept atleast 45 ultra balls and that was my habit from fire red and i cannot carry more than that and the pokemon that refuses 45 balls then I usually reset my console bcoz then it will be caught in less than that but the difficult was azelf to catch i had to reset my console 14 times and it took 2 days to catch

Rey Lewis 55

Baltimore Ravens Fan
    Years
    Hello there. Since the basics of my knowledge, the hardest Pokemon there is that will be hard to catch is Giratina because you just can tell by looking at catch rate on serebii.

Years
    Admittedly, I found Cresselia kind of the hardest to catch. It runs all over the map, unlike most other legendaries, (Groudon, Mewtwo, Dialga, e.t.c.) and it's really bulky. That means you have to find it, and then proceed to hammer it with all you've got. Cresselia has base 120 / 130 / 130 defenses, while Mesprit has 80 / 105 / 105, so no lol.

Katana

Doin' it Katana Style!
    Years
    Hello there. Since the basics of my knowledge, the hardest Pokemon there is that will be hard to catch is Giratina because you just can tell by looking at catch rate on serebii.

It is one of the hardest. Its catch rate is equal to Mesprit and Heatran as stated via my last post. Now, looking at the bigger picture (beyond the poll options):

- Articuno/Zapdos/Moltres have a catch rate of 3.
    - Mewtwo has a catch rate of 3.
    - Mew has a catch rate of 45.
    - Raikou/Entei/Suicune have a catch rate of 3.
    - Lugia/Ho-oh have a catch rate of 3.
    - Celebi has a catch rate of 45.
    - Regirock/Regice/Registeel have a catch rate of 3.
    - Latias/Latios have a catch rate of 3.
    - Kyogre/Groudon have a catch rate of 5.
    - Rayquaza has a catch rate of 3.
    - Jirachi has a catch rate of 3.
    - Deoxys/A/D/S have a catch rate of 3.
    - Uxie/Azelf have a catch rate of 3.
    - Regigigas has a catch rate of 3.
    - Cresselia has a catch rate of 3.
    - Phione has a catch rate of 30.
    - Manaphy has a catch rate of 3.
    - Darkrai has a catch rate of 3.
    - Shaymin/S have a catch rate of 45.
    - Arceus has a catch rate of 3.

Looking at this data along with my prior data, I'd have to conclude that Cresselia is harder to catch than Mesprit based not only the capture circumstances, but the fact that Cresselia has higher HP/Def/Sp.Def as noted by Lalapizzame. And yes, I realize that not all of these Poke's are not (yet) catchable/obtainable. Btw, these are just the catch rate's of legendaries (some pseudo) - IIRC, Dratini, Larvitar, Bagon, and Gible have catch rates's of 45, making them as hard to catch as Mew, Celebi, and Shaymin/S.

eric.402

<-- kewl
    Years
    ɥɔʇɐɔ ʇsǝpɹɐɥ ʎɯ sɐʍ ɐuıʇɐɹıƃ

ɐuıʇɐɹɐƃ ʎןʇuǝuıɟǝp
    lol upside down for"definatnly giratina"dont ask my how i type upside down... its non of ur bisnus.lol giratina was a hard catch becuase:altho i hade 493 master balls,(witch was obained by hax...)the cave that giratina was in was pretty hard.
    ¿¿¿¿2+2 sı ʇɐɥʍ
    Spoiler:

prevoiusly said by lots of ppl:90% of teens today would die if Myspace had a system failure and was completely destroyed...If you are one of the 10% that would be laughing, copy and paste this to your signature.
    lol its true im not kiding its seroisly funny...

Last edited:

Neslug

Overgrown Slug
    Years
    I had some serious trouble with Azelf. Even though it didn't attempt to flee, I wasted the biggest amount of Ultra Balls I've ever used on one Pokémon on it. Didn't really help how I was low on Ultra Balls after catching Uxie, not having bothered to restock and how I caught it before attempting the Elite 4, with my strongest Pokémon being at Level 70 or so.

I seriously don't know why, Azelf's catch rate is the same as that of many other legendaries. I just happened to have some terrible luck.

Out of the poll options, Mesprit. It was my last legendary to be captured, and for a good reason.

Kraka-chan

From the Kraka Club
    Years
    The hardest Pokemon for me to catch which wasn't a Legendary was Beldum. Whenever I went to the area where they would swarm, I'd chuck a ton of Ultra and Timer Balls at them, but to no avail... even when their health is RED!!! RED!!! They would always die on me after, either due to their Take Down attack or when they're forced to use Struggle.

You can imagine the amount of cursing and hair ripping I went through trying to catch the little *cough*

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
    I second Beldum as a difficult non-Legendary.

As for Legendaries that I've caught, I went through the most Ultra and Dusk Balls with Regigigas. The fact that three of my party members were lv. 40 Regis from Hoenn did not help matters.

Cresellia continues to elude me... I have yet to encounter the thing in the wild, much less chuck a Quick Ball at it...

yvette

Heyyyyyyy
    Years
    • Seen Jul 28, 2023
    Not sure. Either Giratina or Dialga. Oh wait, it was Azelf. Stupid little bugger.

Matt-O

The King's Shadow
    Years
    Beldum is the hardest damn thing to catch in D/P. It has the same catch rate as the hardest legendaries (3) and the damn things keep killing themselves with take down. And if you try Ghosts, it often runs out of Take Downs before you catch it and still kills itself with Struggle.

Azonic

hello friends
    Years
    I'd have to say that Mesprit was the hardest to capture from that list. The fact that it is a runaway Pokemon always annoyed me, and even after you trap it you still have to battle it. Capture it with Ultra Balls instead of what I usually use to catch legends (dusk balls). It's pretty hard.

Back