• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Which would you choose?

Years
    • Age 29
    • he/him/his
    • Seen Feb 8, 2024
    Actually, Swampert's best move it learns is Earthquake (100 AP), which is much better than Leaf Blade (70 AP).

The bottom line is that people can choose Treecko or Torchic because they look cool, or they want a challenge, but the best starter that can get you through the game the easiest and that can have the best moveset when you reach the Elite Four (Weak Five) is Mudkip.

He was comparing it to Swampert's exclusive move. Sceptile can also learn Earthquake, but with no STAB. Treecko is actually very helpful early in the game. If youll take a look though,
    Sidney=Dark
    Fighting is + against dark
    That 3rd one=Ice
    Steven=Steel
    Fire is + against ice and steel

While Swampert's Ice Beam poses a threat for Steven's Cladol, Drake, and Sidney's 2 grass types, there is not much else it can do to help

Last edited:

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    What does a signature move have to do with which Poke a person should choose? A good trainer will pick the one that is most effective. A STAB Earthquake from Swampert does more damage to more Pokes than anything the other two starters can do.

As for your attempt to make a case for Blaziken in the Weak5, you are not taking into account the following:

- Against Sidney, Swampert can handle all of them using IB against the Grass-types, and EQ against the others.

- Against Phoebe, Swampert sweeps through using EQ.

- Against Glacia, Swampert has a tougher time but EQ still works.

- Drake is a no-brainer.

- You also battle Wallace in EMERALD, not Steven, although Swampert also does very well against Steven, moreso than Wallace.

The fact is that Blaziken and Sceptile both run into big time problems with certain gyms and certain Weak5 members, while Swampert rolls through everything. Plus, as I said before, Swampert can achieve its most effective moveset (Earthquake/Ice Beam/Rest or Protect/Surf) BEFORE the Weak5, both Blaziken (Flamethrower or Fire Blast/Rock Slide/Sky Uppercut/Swords Dance) and Sceptile (Leaf Blade/Leech Seed/Substitute/Thunderpunch) have to wait until you get to the Battle Frontier and earn enough Battle Points to get theirs. Then there is the typing. Swampert easily has the best typing (Water/Ground) that negates one of Water-type's biggest weaknesses (Electric) and also learns a terific move to cover its only weakness (Ice Beam vs. Grass-types). Blaziken is weak to Flying/Ground/Psychic/Water (ouch!) and Sceptile is weak to Bug/Fire/Flying/Ice/Poison (again, ouch!). Not to mention the fact that Swampert is strong enough defensively to be a decent tank and take a few hits.

As I said before, people can choose Treecko or Torchic because they look cool or want a challenge, but for the means of picking the best and most effective starter (especially in-game), it is Swampert.

Years
    • Seen Dec 26, 2006
    I usually choose the grass types, Bulbasaur and Chickarita, but this time I chose Torchic just because he's the coolest looking, and I found that the other two's third form were really stupid looking and the water one looked kind of weak compared to Blastoise and the Giant Alligator from Gold/Silver.

Years
    • Seen Dec 24, 2006
    It depends on the game (I color-coordinate >.>)

Ruby = Torchic
    Sapphire = Mudkip
    Emerald = Treecko

And then, of course, I do Bulbasaur for LG and Charmander for FR, even though Squirtle is my favorite starter ever. I usually trade for Squirtle, though.

Yeeeeaaah. I'm just anal rententive about these things.

Poké King

A Mixed Bag...
    Years
    • MD
    • Seen Apr 25, 2007

Ruby = Torchic
    Sapphire = Mudkip
    Emerald = Treecko

And then, of course, I do Bulbasaur for LG and Charmander for FR, even though Squirtle is my favorite starter ever. I usually trade for Squirtle, though.
    Interesting way of going about it.

Well, I chose Torchic when I played the games at first for the same reason I chose Charmander and Cyndaquil because I love Fire Types for some reason. And if I could of chosen a Fire Type in Pokémon Yellow I probably would of lol course I did love my Pikachu.

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2007
    Blaziken tears throught the Elite 4 really easily, but who I choose depends on the type of game I am playing. If I want a normal In-Game team to get TM's and such I use Blaziken. If I want a competitive team I use Swampert.

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    I usually choose the grass types, Bulbasaur and Chickarita, but this time I chose Torchic just because he's the coolest looking, and I found that the other two's third form were really stupid looking and the water one looked kind of weak compared to Blastoise and the Giant Alligator from Gold/Silver.

Ruby = Torchic
    Sapphire = Mudkip
    Emerald = Treecko

Yeeeeaaah. I'm just anal rententive about these things.

Interesting way of going about it.

Well, I chose Torchic when I played the games at first for the same reason I chose Charmander and Cyndaquil because I love Fire Types for some reason. And if I could of chosen a Fire Type in Pokémon Yellow I probably would of lol course I did love my Pikachu.

Blaziken tears throught the Elite 4 really easily, but who I choose depends on the type of game I am playing. If I want a normal In-Game team to get TM's and such I use Blaziken. If I want a competitive team I use Swampert.
    More and more posts proving my point. Torchic and Treecko are chosen for their looks or their type is favorite or you want a challenge. If you want the best starter in the game, you choose Mudkip.

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2007
    Mudkip is easily the best, look at the RSE teams on NetBattle. 50% of the probably have Swampert.

Pokemon trainer Seth

Suteki Da Ne?
    Years
  • Torchic!!

For me 100% Torchic

Because:
    when it evolves at level 16 it learns Double kick which is super effective against rock.
    the 2nd gym should'nt be any problem(if you fight the fisherman on the route next to dewford first).
    and the rest won't be dificult(except Champion Wallace in emerald, but with a level 100 blaziken and duoble kick that should be very easy).

(if the english I use isn't corect don't blame me it's just because I'm from holland)

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    I would obviously choose MUDKIP...

Cause his the best...And hes got the best statistics (as Marshtomp and Swampert...)

Best moves, Best for Gyms and u no which versions he's good for... Even since he learns Ground-Type moves...

Also, Electric-Type moves cannot affect him as he evolves but is an inch from death from Grass-Type moves!

MrDreavus

There she goes! =O
    Years
  • Torchic: My favorite
    Treecko: Second favorite
    Mudkip: I never went for marsh animals that look like they will rise out of the mud and murder you

J

good morning
    Years
    • Seen Jun 21, 2016
    I'd say Treecko.
    Cause I like Grass type.

MrRandomIDon'tCare

I'm Not Here
    Years
  • I usually choose the grass types, Bulbasaur and Chickarita, but this time I chose Torchic just because he's the coolest looking, and I found that the other two's third form were really stupid looking and the water one looked kind of weak compared to Blastoise and the Giant Alligator from Gold/Silver.

i agree, swampert and sceptile do look like my sisters (i have 5, and im the only boy in the house) so i definitely choose torchic, even if he is weak in the first few gyms.

BTW, the 'giant alligator' on gsc was called feraligatr.

.Bastion

O a t h k e e p e r
    Years
  • i agree, swampert and sceptile do look like my sisters (i have 5, and im the only boy in the house) so i definitely choose torchic, even if he is weak in the first few gyms.

BTW, the 'giant alligator' on gsc was called feraligatr.

XD

Well, my opinion has sorta changed about the starters. I like Swampert and Blaziken more than Sceptile. I wish Blaziken wasn't the prime choice among the gamer noobs, I just think it should have a better reputation than that. I mean it does have more weaknesses than Swampert but less than Sceptile and it does learn some good moves.

Swampert, I must admit is the best of all the starters. Good typing and it can cover its weakness and gets good tanking stats.

I'm doing playthroughs with each of the starters to see which I like the best, I'm on Torchic atm. I've already done Treecko and Mudkip will be next.

Back