• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Which would you choose?

Mudkippy

♥Mudkips Rule♥
Years
    • Seen Jan 15, 2007
    Mudkip, definately! Treecos are annoying, and Torchics are hard to raise.

Years
    • Seen Dec 19, 2012
    torchic all the way i mean it becomes fire and fighting and learns a flying move so what else do u need and its much btter just get a lotad and evolve it to a ludicolo simple isnt it ludicolo is water and grass and thats why i use torchic all the time

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    Actually, Blaziken has a weakness to Ground, Flying, Psychic, and Water. The only thing a Flying move would be useful against that Fire isn't is Fighting. Ludicolo might cover two of those, but is weak to Flying too. That means you need to add at least a THIRD to cover Blaziken's weaknesses.

Swampert's ONLY weakness is Grass and it can learn Ice Beam to counter. That means it doesn't need any assistance from any other Pokes, unlike Blaziken and Sceptile. It also has the defenses to last and a STAB Earthquake is the best damaging move of the three as well.

羨望

のトレーナー
    Years
  • Torchick is the best in game,It evolves fast and has goods stats and its recomended for experience trainers rather that beginners chose mudkip.

MrDreavus

There she goes! =O
    Years
  • I thought the other Water Starters looked a lot better. How should I explain this? Mudkip looks like a fish on legs like a dog, with a mix of platypus and orange gills sticking out of his cheeks. I dunno, I thought they could have made him look a little better, even if they did take a fresh approach to the water starter this time...

encyclopediajm

Advanced Trainer
    Years
  • I would choose Treeko or mudkip, probably because i have had good experiences with water and grass types, I have never really fancied the fire type starters though...

Hat?

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Dec 11, 2008
    Well I usually go with Torchic because I just like Blaziken best... I don't know why... otherwise it's Treecko - Sceptile is a pretty good PURE grass pokemon (not like Tangela which sucks), the only reason I never get Mudkip is because it 's water/ground and grass does x4 damage on it - well I only get it to complete the pokedex anyway.

Richard Lynch

Professor Lynch
    Years
  • Torchick is the best in game,It evolves fast and has goods stats and its recomended for experience trainers rather that beginners chose mudkip.

Choosing Mudkip every time I restart these games, I disagree! Blaziken has some good stats, but so does Swampert. Add the coefficient of weaknesses, and you get an equation that looks something like:

Swampert > Blaziken

So my fondness towards Water Pokemon did indeed pay off in this generation! lol

And in the next generation, I'll be in heaven... dual Water/Steel?? It'll be unbeatable!

Unways, the dual Ground/Water is one of the best ever created, beaten by only Steel/Psychic (Metagross), which has NO 4x weakness.

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    Meh. That Ground weakness that Metagross has makes Swampert better. While good teams should always consider having a Fire and a Grass move on their team, Earthquake is a standard on ANY team.

Years
    • Age 59
    • Seen Aug 3, 2019
    Well, from the very moment I set my eyes on it, it was love at first sight. Torchic is of course my Pokemon of choice. I've had a Torchic as my starter in every new game I've made (while my sister preferred a Mudkip). It's not just that Torchic was cute. I've got something for fire-type starters. They always tend to be my starter of choice. (Almost always, if you consider that I think Pocchama >>>>>>>>>> Hikozaru.)

Richard Lynch

Professor Lynch
    Years
  • Meh. That Ground weakness that Metagross has makes Swampert better. While good teams should always consider having a Fire and a Grass move on their team, Earthquake is a standard on ANY team.

Eh, I'm in favor of Metagross. I've yet to see a decent Earthquake or Fire Blast KO Metty; even a Fire Punch coming from Alakazam. I just wish Metagross could learn Skill Swap... could you imagine Metagross swapping skills with Levitate? The very idea sends shivers down my spine.

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    If you are referring strictly to in-game, you might have a valid argument. Competitively, I cannot agree with you at all. A decent trainer that knows anything about EV spreads doesn't fear Metagross one bit. Swampert though, is a valid concern and requires an appropriate counter (i.e. Gengar with Giga Drain). As I said, while a good battler will take a Fire and Grass move into consideration when building a competitive team, any GOOD team will ALWAYS have Earthquake in it.

At any rate, that is off-topic. This whole thread has cemented the fact that Blaziken and Sceptile are chosen because (a) it is a type preference or (b) it is based on their looks. As someone that has reset his various RSE carts over 60 times, I have come to ALWAYS choose Mudkip as it can get me through the entire game the fastest (I don't need to waste time catching any other Pokes) and blows through the Weak5 better than Blaziken can, and at a lower level, requiring me not to waste time leveling it up or wasting RCs on it.

Richard Lynch

Professor Lynch
    Years
  • If you are referring strictly to in-game, you might have a valid argument. Competitively, I cannot agree with you at all. A decent trainer that knows anything about EV spreads doesn't fear Metagross one bit. Swampert though, is a valid concern and requires an appropriate counter (i.e. Gengar with Giga Drain). As I said, while a good battler will take a Fire and Grass move into consideration when building a competitive team, any GOOD team will ALWAYS have Earthquake in it.

I don't do much competitive battling... so yeah, when I say things, I usually refer to in-game. I'm completely on your side with Swampert, I'm just more a fan of Metagross. They both pack quite a punch either way, and Metagross has some of the highest and most balanced stats I've seen of any non-uber.

See, for me, I will ALWAYS have a good grass Pokemon, or at least a decent grass move, so maybe that's why my train of thought veers more towards Metagross, because I dislike fire pokemon and fire moves in general.

As good ol' Einstein says, "It's all relative!"

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Apr 8, 2012
    I've grown to like all the starters from RSE. Blaziken is very strong and is versatile. Swampert is a great ground type and a pretty good water type too. Sceptile is just plain cool, and is super fast. Leaf Blade is a great move too.

White Lotus

As High As Wu-Tang Gets
    Years
    • Seen Mar 31, 2009
    I just got done trading all my good pokes <50> and all my Rare Candies <150> and Tm's over to XD so i could run through Emerald a 2nd time allowing me to finally get a Swampert. I've been sweating this little guy forever and with D/P around the corner i thought now was the perfect time to run through Emerald again to get back into the swing of things. I'd love to breed them until i get Purple 'shiny' but i have a feeling i'll be holding my breathe on that one.

Eh, I'm in favor of Metagross. I've yet to see a decent Earthquake or Fire Blast KO Metty; even a Fire Punch coming from Alakazam. I just wish Metagross could learn Skill Swap... could you imagine Metagross swapping skills with Levitate? The very idea sends shivers down my spine.

I have a <2v2> team for XD that uses this very principle.

Scyther w/Scope Lens
    'Swarm' : Ups Bug moves when HP is low.
    IV's : 31 HP / 31 Att / 31 Spd
    Ev's : 252 Att / 216 Spd / 40 HP
    <Jolly : +Spd / -Sat>
    * Silver Wind
    * Aerial Ace
    * Safeguard
    * Swagger

<Uses Safeguard first then Swaggers up Metagross / Slaking providing +2 Att Stage without the Confusion. Immune to Earthquake>

Metagross w/Shell Bell
    'Clear Body' : Immune to Stat Lowering.
    EV's : 252 Att / 252 Spd / 4 HP
    <Adament : +Att / -Sat>
    * Earthquake
    * Meteor Mash
    * Agility
    * Explosion

<Basic Agiligross. Hits very HARD - especially with Scyther pumping him up - absolute TERROR once he's floating thanks to Gengar. Explodes when he's done.>

Gengar w/Focus Band
    'Levitate' : Immune to Ground Attacks.
    IV's : 31 HP / 31 Sat / 31 Spd
    EV's : 252 Spd / 216 Sat / 40 HP
    <Timid : +Spd / -Att>
    * Thunderbolt
    * Ice Punch
    * Giga Drain / Destiny Bond
    * Skill Swap

<Special Sweeper. Skill Swaps 'Levitate' onto Metagross / Slaking. Also Skill Swaps 'Truant' off of Slaking making him a complete TERROR. Also known to Skill Swap 'Truant' onto tough enemy making them 1/2 as effective. Immune to Earthquake / Explosion - making him perfect compliment to Metagross. I LOVE this poke>

Slaking w/Leftovers
    'Truant' : Can only act every other turn.
    EV's : 236 HP / 114 Sdf / 160 Spd
    <Jolly : +Spd / -Sat>
    * Return
    * Shadow Ball
    * Bulk Up
    * Slack Off

<Last Man Standing. Once 'Truant' is Skill Swapped off he Bulks Up / Slacks Off damage and proceeds to OWN hard. >

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry. Not trying to highjack the thread - I just love the synergy of that team.

As for you wanting a floating Metagross - You won't need to wait long because in D/P he gets the nifty little move Electrolevitate. This move changes your ability to 'Levitate'. <OUCH>

Last edited:
    Back