• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Who Here Hates the Pokemon Anime?

Mew~

THE HOST IS BROKEN
Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2016
    the games always make up for the anime's failings though[their awesome games so it dosan't matter how kiddie they are]
    I don't understand how you could know this if you've said you haven't given the rest of the series the time of day?

The formula has stayed the same since the original series, that's why some of the more dedicated Pokémon fans dislike it, not because it's for children, the whole series is made out to appeal to a younger audience, including the games. I don't see the difference in seeing new characters and main cast in the anime, with a whole new bunch of characters and protagonists in a new game. Try to come up with a better argument please.

I agree, the movies are better than the anime.
    That statement doesn't even make sense, the movies are the anime we could go into the whole non-canon arguement, but I can assure you they aren't always seen to be non-canon.

Ayutac

Developer who wants your help
    Years
  • I don't hate it, but I don't like the drawing style and it sure has some plotholes, as you will probably agree. Besides, generic episode plot for most episodes.

Masterge77

Robot Mienshao
    Years
  • Personally, I think the writers should improve and put more effort into their writing, I know it's a kids show, but the writers just aren't putting enough effort into the shows writing and plots, they're getting rather cliche anymore.

Although to be fair, most video game based cartoons and animes tend to not be very good at all, with a few exceptions such as Megaman NT Warrior, which is suprisingly good for an anime based on a video game franchise.

What I am saying is that the writers need to put more effort into the shows writing, they're just throwing around lazily done plots.

The Void

hiiiii
    Years
  • The best would always be the first series, when everything was simple, and all Ash had to do is to catch them all, and BW series where the story appeals to the older generation. But the others, they suck. *her is me looking at the orange season* I like May though.

True, so true. :D

That statement doesn't even make sense, the movies are the anime we could go into the whole non-canon arguement, but I can assure you they aren't always seen to be non-canon.

What Digimon Kaiser must've meant was that he prefers the movies to the TV Show, which is quite agreeable actually. But the BW Series showed itself to be quite as interesting as the movies, you know...

Years
    • Seen Jan 9, 2012
    Not me, because I don't go onto a forum that I'm not a fan of. Seems like a waste of time.

You don't seem to have a notion that the anime isn't the only part of the franchise, while you can hate the anime, you can love the games and then join here
    If you must justify your statement, come up with something better

i usually only watch the show when i'm simultaneously playing the game to ''rev'' me up

Yourself said you hate it,then why bother watching? That seems like a waste of time to me

As for me, I strongly dislike the animé due to the lack of originality (same old thing), Iris' annoying imo, Ash's more and then it's that same thing, Ash being dumb, Ash gets a badge, Something happen, etc,

Jorah

What do I put here?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • UK
    • Seen Aug 18, 2021
    You don't seem to have a notion that the anime isn't the only part of the franchise,

Really.

while you can hate the anime, you can love the games and then join here

And spam the hate while you're at it, I know.

If you must justify your statement, come up with something better

There was nothing wrong with my answer. This section is called "Pokemon Anime". I don't go into "Pokemon Trading Card Games" section and say "who else hates the Pokemon TCG?" when I am not a fan because that would be a waste of time. Thanks for playing.

In any case, I've always found it interesting that some people prefer the movies to the TV show, because I actually find the movies more repetitive story-wise, what with the whole battle of the legendaries thing the writers have became fascinated with.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Honestly, if you guys are looking for unique storylines with excessive character development, you're looking in the wrong place.

I personally think the anime does a good job at keeping its target audience as the prime importance while still not being too kiddish - people of any age can enjoy it.

Years
    • Seen Jan 21, 2012
    I don't take it seriously. It has a habit of creating plot holes and not mixing up with the Manga or Game lore. I enjoyed the original Series, Where Ash had a goal, set out, completed it, then went home. Like Most anime, I believed this is one that could have ended after season one.

2Cool4Mewtwo

Pwning in Ubers since 1996.
    Years
  • while the storylines for BW haven't been that bad (I honestly actually think some are even good), Ash has been complete rubbish at his game for 5th region currently running. *mfwthereisnosmhemoticon*

xHayleyChan

Lover of Cheesecake
    Years
    • Age 27
    • Seen Apr 16, 2016
    I don't hate the anime but I am not happy with, how it's being written and how it's the same thing each episode.

I was hoping the B/W series was going to change it dramatically and it hasn't really altered it so much, except for the outward design of Ash; How many Pokemon he has caught and getting rid of Brock which seems like a mistake to me.

Although I still don't hate it I just look upon the first 5 series with Nostalgia and then it all went a little stale and downhill after that.

If it was revamped/redone then it might be a little more bearable OR a series with a older or nostalgic keen audience and keep this anime for the younger generation.

iceblade085

Frigid Steel
    Years
    • Seen Dec 27, 2013
    I used to love the anime, but now I think it is repetitive and annoying. Most episodes start with "Ash and his friends", "our heroes", or "Ash and the gang", coming across some Pokemon in trouble or being in trouble themselves. Or, they meet a trainer with a strong Pokemon. Every episode is meant to introduce a new Pokemon, and Team Rocket tries to steal it with some mecha that can somehow negate its attacks. Plus, its annoying to see how weak Ash is and how he wins by simply being friends with his equally weak Pokemon. The Pokemon Adventures/Special manga was great; they should make an anime of that instead of this Ash -blam!-.

Zapperz

colour swapper!
    Years
    • Seen Oct 18, 2023
    i hate the anime. mostly because they dont air it in my country since the Hoenn series, and I cant even watch it because it was always in the early morning, around 8am or 1030am, both when Im in school. the anime also has the same beginning and ending, the similar climax in every episode etc. sometimes filler episodes too. id just rather read the wikia and see what I missed over the years and play the game.

Azumi

★七色に光る女★
    Years
  • Ehhh, it's gotten boring (heck I haven't been watching ever since... uh, the Subway episodes?), but there are a few merits to it, and I enjoyed the Sinnoh saga, so no, I don't hate it.

Hate is a very strong word.

arbok

cobra pokemon
    Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2013
    I haven't seen much past the early days but it's best not to take it too seriously. The quality of team rocket disguises is evidence of this. Of course it's for children, that's what pokemons entire market was in the early days. The only real problem I have with it is the amount of filler predictible filler and maybe the inconsistancy of some of the characters skills as trainers Ash and jessie and james in particular. Oh yeah, and how it made pikachu the undeserving mascot but other then that it's enjoyable. I fin the first two movies to be great fun.

Archenoth

(cozy)
    Years
  • The anime gives off a much more "kiddie" reputation than the games do, but I still enjoy watching it.

The main reason that the anime's reputation is portrayed as "kiddy" is because of the style of the show, and how it presents it's stories and achievements. But really, it's not that bad at all when you compare it to your average kid's show. It is much more mature in that regard. But for your average viewer, I think the thing that gets most people is the fact that Pokemon can only say their names, and they tend to have such high pitched voices. Similar to "Kirby: Right Back At Ya!" in this regard.

The games have tried hard to improve their reputation as an "Everybody" game.

Icεy

PokeDimension Founder
    Years
  • It's quite childish in a sense, but I do enjoy the newly-revised Team Rocket attitude!
    I watch it online as I don't really have time to loaf around RTL II in a morning.

Hate isn't the right word to use - it's way to negative and strong.

Back