• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Who is that Dragon Pokemon that "terrorized" Blackthorn City a long time ago?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cerisse

Trainer and Anime Fangirl!
    Years
    Remember that Pokemon anime episode 251 of season 5 where Ash was in Blacthorn City? Well, Clair's gym assistant metioned there somewhere that there was this unknown dragon pokemon that attacked Blackthorn City a long time ago. And there was this guy that defeated (and after he defeated it, he kept one of it's fang; the Dragon Fang that Clair does a special ceremony every 3 years with) this unknown dragon pokemon and this guy became Blackthorn City's first gym leader. Now, I'm guessing since this guy "kept" a Dragon Fang from that unknown dragon pokemon that attacked Blackthorn, he couldn't have captured it, he must've killed it to yank off a big tooth from a dragons mouth. So, it takes out the possibility that this dragon fang may have belonged to his Dragonite. Besides, dragonite don't have fangs that big and they're kind-hearted. :)

So, since the people coined the dragon pokemon as an "unknown", I'm guessing that this pokemon must have not been in the R/B/G/Y and G/S/C and FR/LG generation anime. So, to people that have seen and trained Dimaond and Pearl and Platinum Pokemon, who do you think is the identity of this unknown dragon pokemon? You D/P/Platinum guys already know all of the existing pokemon, so I'm asking.

I only played up to Crystal and Fire Red and only seen up to season 6 in the anime and seen up to Jirachi Wishmaker in the movies, so I dunno any new pokemons that match the largeness of that Dragon Fang.

Here's the episode recap if you forgot what it was:

Beauty is Skin Deep (Japanese: イブキとミニリュウ! Ibuki and Miniryu!) is episode 251 of the Pokémon anime. It was first broadcast in Japan on June 6, 2002 and in the United States on May 31, 2003.

"Ash arrives in Blackthorn City and meets Clair. A special ceremony must happen by the end of the day but she is too concerned with watching her Dratini... which Jessie decides to steal.

Having nearly arrived at Blackthorn City, Ash and company find a Dratini lying on the ground. However, when they try to get a closer look, a Gyarados appears and keeps them at bay using a Hydro Pump. A mysterious person appears, threatening them if they tried to harm the Dratini. After the confusion is sorted, the person introduces herself as Clair, and that her Gyarados was simply trying to protect her Dratini. However, when Dratini leaves, Clair and Gyarados leaves in pursuit. Ash then runs into her elderly assistant, Kaburagi, who reveals to them that Clair is the Blackthorn Gym Leader, and must perform a ritual with the Dragon Fang. As they slowly follow Clair and her Dratini upstream, Kaburagi reveals the local history: an unidentified dragon Pokémon had terrorized local residents, until it was defeated by the first Blackthorn Gym Leader, who took one of its fangs as a sign of victory. Since then, the Dragon Fang has been handed down through generations, and today is the day that they must perform a purification ritual.

Meanwhile, Team Rocket, further upstream, is relaxing when Dratini passes by. Jessie is enamoured by the Dratini, hoping to catch one for her own. As James sends out Weezing, they are suddenly washed in Gyarados' Hydro Pump, and meet face to face with Clair. When Team Rocket try to threaten her, she sends them flying by using another one of Gyarados' Hydro Pump attacks. Meanwhile, Ash and company, with Kaburagi, manage to make up their ground with Clair. Kaburagi emplores Clair to return in time for the ritual, but Clair objects, seeing as Dratini is preparing to shed its skin - a point in which Dratini are the most vulnerable. When Dratini leaves, Clair and Gyarados follow, and Ash and company have no choice but to follow them, and let Dratini shed its skin before preparing for the ritual. Team Rocket, intending on stealing Dratini, is also in pursuit - though James contends that Dratini would fetch a high price either on the open market or as a gift to Giovanni, Jessie is adamant that she keep it for herself, thinking that it is cute.

Knowing that pursuing Dratini may take the entire day, Clair takes a break for lunch. This gives an opportunity for Ash to challenge Clair, which Clair accepts. Kaburagi, noticing that Ash had won the badge from Mahogany Town, asks them whether the rumours of a Red Gyarados rampaging near town were true. Ash and company proceed to tell them the whole story, including how they had met Lance, and how they were in the middle of the entire situation. Clair and her assistant is surprised at the fact that Lance is a Pokémon G-Man, which surprises Ash (not knowing that they, too, are acquainted with Lance). Clair reveals that the two are both Dragon-type trainers who had trained with each other. Knowing this, Ash and Clair are both excited for their upcoming battle. Their lunch is disrupted by an elderly couple, who wants to take pictures with Dratini. Though Clair is reluctant, she allows the couple to go near Dratini, only for the couple to trap Dratini in a net. The couple reveal themselves as Jessie and James, while Meowth covers their escape using a smoke bomb.

While Clair is in hot pursuit on the Team Rocket balloon, Dratini tries desperately to break free by rocking the balloon. When the balloon crashes, it makes a desperate attempt into the water, which Jessie quickly stops. This allows Clair to catch up. Trying to defend themselves, James sends out Weezing, but is dispatched easily by Gyarados. Pikachu tries to Thunderbolt Team Rocket to send them flying, but Wobbuffet's Counter deflects the attack in all directions - hitting Ash, Pikachu, Team Rocket, and nearly hitting Misty, Brock, and Kaburagi. When an errant Thunderbolt is about to hit Dratini, Clair dives to protect it. Just at that moment, Dratini evolves into Dragonair, much to Jessie's dismay (who contends that it was cuter as a Dratini). As Dragonair is far more rare, Team Rocket presses on their attack, but thanks to Gyarados' Hyper Beam and Dragonair's Twister, they are sent flying.

Just as they celebrate their victory, Dragonair leaves, with everyone in pursuit. They are led to Riverhead Falls, the source of the water that leads into Blackthorn City, and the perfect place for the ritual. Ash and company are witnesses to the purification ritual, in which Clair says a prayer and proceeds to drench the Dragon Fang in the lake water. The Dragon Fang reacts, and sends a dragon-shaped beam of light into the sky. Kaburagi explains that after a dragon Pokémon dies, its body becomes a star in the sky.

The next day, Ash and friends finally make it to the city gates of Blackthorn City, as the Blackthorn Gym awaits."

So, anyone know?♥

Years
    Salamence perhaps?I know its tooth may not be big enough but when they say unknown dragon Pokemon,thats the first thing that came to my mind

Edit-Ok I just tried to look up some dragon types,and besides Salamence,Rayquaza seems to be the only other dragon with hug fangs.Maybe someone is the city pissed Rayquaza off so it came down from the sky to attack.I dont think the guy killed the pokemon,it is just possible that he hit it with enough force to knock a tooth out,and he kept the tooth as a memento.Guess we'll never know...

Last edited:

Cerisse

Years
    Salamence or Rayquaza? Hmmm...

Salamence perhaps?I know its tooth may not be big enough but when they say unknown dragon Pokemon,thats the first thing that came to my mind

Edit-Ok I just tried to look up some dragon types,and besides Salamence,Rayquaza seems to be the only other dragon with hug fangs.Maybe someone is the city pissed Rayquaza off so it came down from the sky to attack.I dont think the guy killed the pokemon,it is just possible that he hit it with enough force to knock a tooth out,and he kept the tooth as a memento.Guess we'll never know...

But Salamence doesn't have fangs that big. I mean, I saw Jirachi the Wishmaker movie and it didn't have visible fangs. Fangs that big should be seen from outside the mouth. And, OMG! Rayquaza is too huge and powerful to be defeated by just a Gym leader, it can even take down many Deoxys, how much more a Dragon based Gym leader.

But, anyways, I appreciate the answer mr garra! :D

And, maybe, just maybe, since it was a "long time ago", the Pokedex wasn't advanced yet so maybe people didn't really know how to identify if it was a dragon type pokemon. It may have just looked like a dragon. What Pokemons look like Dragons?

Years
    But Salamence doesn't have fangs that big. I mean, I saw Jirachi the Wishmaker movie and it didn't have visible fangs. Fangs that big should be seen from outside the mouth. And, OMG! Rayquaza is too huge and powerful to be defeated by just a Gym leader, it can even take down many Deoxys, how much more a Dragon based Gym leader.

But, anyways, I appreciate the answer mr garra! :D

And, maybe, just maybe, since it was a "long time ago", the Pokedex wasn't advanced yet so maybe people didn't really know how to identify if it was a dragon type pokemon. It may have just looked like a dragon. What Pokemons look like Dragons?

Well as I said,Maybe the trainer did enough damage to knock a tooth out.As for the size of the Salamence...The show has shown that the same species of Pokemon come in all shapes and sizes.Exampe,Bills lighthouse.The Dragonite that apeared was HUGE..Id say over 100 feet tall..when dragonites on only about 7 feet.SO you really cant base anything on size.

Cerisse

Years
    Oh...

Well as I said,Maybe the trainer did enough damage to knock a tooth out.As for the size of the Salamence...The show has shown that the same species of Pokemon come in all shapes and sizes.Exampe,Bills lighthouse.The Dragonite that apeared was HUGE..Id say over 100 feet tall..when dragonites on only about 7 feet.SO you really cant base anything on size.

But the episode says that it got defeated, so it must've not been just a tooth knock out because it will surely come back and retaliate when it wakes up. The guy must've killed it and took a tooth as a remembrance. It couldn't be a Rayquaza because Rayquaza is still alive. And Dragonites are kind at heart as the show says, so it can't just terorrize a town unless it was in a Dragon rage. But Dragon rages don't last that long for it to actually terorrize some city.

But anyhows, there is a possibility that it may have been a giant dragon pokemon or a pokemon that was really big and looked like a dragon. Thanks for that idea mr garra!
    But, which Pokemons do you think look like Dragons? I mean, Gyarados in R/B/Y/G was just a water type but Lance the Dragon trainer trained it as a Dragon maybe because it looked like a Dragon sea-serpent. Another Dragon-looking Pokemon is a Feraligatr. Any other ideas? :)

P.S.

Thanks for adding me as a friend mr garra!

Years
    But the episode says that it got defeated, so it must've not been just a tooth knock out because it will surely come back and retaliate when it wakes up. The guy must've killed it and took a tooth as a remembrance. It couldn't be a Rayquaza because Rayquaza is still alive. And Dragonites are kind at heart as the show says, so it can't just terorrize a town unless it was in a Dragon rage. But Dragon rages don't last that long for it to actually terorrize some city.

But anyhows, there is a possibility that it may have been a giant dragon pokemon or a pokemon that was really big and looked like a dragon. Thanks for that idea mr garra!
    But, which Pokemons do you think look like Dragons? I mean, Gyarados in R/B/Y/G was just a water type but Lance the Dragon trainer trained it as a Dragon maybe because it looked like a Dragon sea-serpent. Another Dragon-looking Pokemon is a Feraligatr. Any other ideas? :)

It may have been defeated,but that doesnt necessarily mean killed..Ash "defeats" pokemon all the time.And It doesnt need to retaliate,alot of the time the pokemon learns its lesson the first time it gets thrashed.AS for it being a pokemon which looked like a dragon,its possible.But there are so many of those thats its kinda hard to figure out which one it is.

Cerisse

Years
    Bad Dragon! Boo!

It may have been defeated,but that doesnt necessarily mean killed..Ash "defeats" pokemon all the time.And It doesnt need to retaliate,alot of the time the pokemon learns its lesson the first time it gets thrashed.AS for it being a pokemon which looked like a dragon,its possible.But there are so many of those thats its kinda hard to figure out which one it is.

Well, you got a point about it leaving and learning it's lesson. But, if it really was a "terorrizing" Pokemon, it would come back for revenge, just as how the Deoxys (in that movie) came back and retaliated against Rayquaza even after getting hyper beat.

But, anyways, you've been a great help with this thread mr garra!
    I just hope there's a Pokedex somewhere that searches for "Dragon-like" Pokemon.
    But, oh, this doesn't mean that the topic is closed! Any other answer will still be well appreciated.♥

Years
    Well Im looking at a list of every single pokemon.The "unknown" dragon was most likely a Johto pokemon.But theres only 2 pokemon in Johto that looks somewat like dragons.Feraligator and Tyranitar.

Years
    I was looking at that one not too long ago...and all those pokemon besides Rayquaza and Salamence dont look bad enough to attack someone.

Cerisse

Years
    Legendary Dragons?

could it be one of the legendary dragons perhaps?

Like Who? The only legendary pokemon that looks like a dragon that I know of is Lugia. Who are the legendary dragons? I only know Lugia because I only played up to Crystal and watched up to season 6.

And a legendary draong won't attack because legendaries are usually good, unless if it got "shadowed" by team Snagem, but team Snagem is a new bad guy team, not an ancient one.

Oh and mr garra! Thanks for looking it up for me! Thanks a bunchies! :D

Years
    Like Who? The only legendary pokemon that looks like a dragon that I know of is Lugia. Who are the legendary dragons? I only know Lugia because I only played up to Crystal and watched up to season 6.

And a legendary draong won't attack because legendaries are usually good, unless if it got "shadowed" by team Snagem, but team Snagem is a new bad guy team, not an ancient one.

Oh and mr garra! Thanks for looking it up for me! Thanks a bunchies! :D

I agree,the odds of it being a legendary are very very small.The Pokemon gods protect and watch over the land.They only attack when something or someone tries to disrupt the peace.Or if one attacks the other,such as Dailga and Palkia.And it COULD be Lugia,but he lives deep in the ocean..so I dont think it was him.With any chance it was some thing like Feraligator..it attacks someone at night or on a foggy day so no one could see what it was.

Kotowari

Will be back eventually
    Years
    Maybe something happened that long time ago in the area of Blackthorn city? Mabye Rayquaza did fell out of the sky. Or were the pokemon just diferent. Gyarados might have been bigger, or used to live in the mountain lakes (just as the Red Gyarados). There are lakes around Blackthorn, right?
    It might have been a story parallel with the Red Gyarados': a giant gyarados might have been enraged by something/someone and unstopable he headed headed for Blackthorn.
    I'm just guessing. But it's an interesting question.

Years
    Maybe something happened that long time ago in the area of Blackthorn city? Mabye Rayquaza did fell out of the sky. Or were the pokemon just diferent. Gyarados might have been bigger, or used to live in the mountain lakes (just as the Red Gyarados). There are lakes around Blackthorn, right?
    It might have been a story parallel with the Red Gyarados': a giant gyarados might have been enraged by something/someone and unstopable he headed headed for Blackthorn.

That is a possibility.Im kinda foggy with the Johto season,so i dont remember much about it.But it could be that it was a extra large Gyarados.Like I stated,its is possible that this pokemon was unknown becasue people failed to see what it was.veryone besidesthe guy who battled it knew wat it was.The reason everyone else knows is because he told the story of it.

Cerisse

Years
    Dragon Fang Dragon Fang...

I agree,the odds of it being a legendary are very very small.The Pokemon gods protect and watch over the land.They only attack when something or someone tries to disrupt the peace.Or if one attacks the other,such as Dailga and Palkia.And it COULD be Lugia,but he lives deep in the ocean..so I dont think it was him.With any chance it was some thing like Feraligator..it attacks someone at night or on a foggy day so no one could see what it was.

Hmmm...ok...so "suspect" numbah 1 is Feraligator. :badsmile:

That is a possibility.Im kinda foggy with the Johto season,so i dont remember much about it.But it could be that it was a extra large Gyarados.Like I stated,its is possible that this pokemon was unknown becasue people failed to see what it was.veryone besidesthe guy who battled it knew wat it was.The reason everyone else knows is because he told the story of it.

Suspect numbah 2 is a Gyarados (giant or shiny or both)....
    It couldn't be a Rayquaza because it won't just fall out of the sky out of the blue and it's highly unlikely that it attack a town for just falling on the ground. Besides, only Deoxy was strong enough to catch it's attention.

Well....from the way I look at it, it seems like the only way to really know is to match the Shape of the Dragon Fang that Claire keeps with a living Dragon's or Dragon-like formed Pokemon's Fang/tooth. Size doesn't matter because Pokemon of the same species have different sizes. What matters is the tooth's characteristics.

From the episode, the fang looked like a sharp tooth that was kinda bendy as it reached the tip. Not, just straight triangular sharp tooth. What sort of Pokemon could have this sort of tooth?

This is kinda like a detective work. Tee-hee~!♥

Last edited:

Kotowari

Will be back eventually
    Years
    I was just joking about Rayquaza falling from the sky. =3
    But anyways, Rayquaza's teeth have the same shape. (at least the two sharp teeth that are visible)
    Same for Gyarados.
    Who is that Dragon Pokemon that "terrorized" Blackthorn City a long time ago?

I'm going for the Gyarados theory. =)

Cerisse

Years
    Lightbulb flashing...

I was just joking about Rayquaza falling from the sky. =3
    But anyways, Rayquaza's teeth have the same shape. (at least the two sharp teeth that are visible)
    Same for Gyarados.

LOL! I thought you were serious about the big lizard falling from the sky! Hahaha!

Whoa! I just realized something, since Claire does the purification ritual every 3 years for "Dragons everywhere" and we see that her purification ritual had some sort of magical effect in the episode, the Pokemon that owned that Dragon Fang must have to be a Dragon Pokemon because the purification ritual had some effect on Dragon Pokemons. So, it can't be a Pokemon that just looked like a dragon, otherwise the purification ritual Claire does wouldn't affect Dragons at all. So, Feraligtr is off the case since it isn't a Dragon Pokemon. But...I dunno about Gyarados though, in the game, it's type is clearly just water and not Water/Dragon (I'm not sure about the Diamond/Pearl./Platinum versions though)..which is the same for Charizard, it doesn't have a dragon type when you check out it's typing.

But, so far, the Pokemon that matches the tooths description is a Gyarados and a Rayquaza. Check the picture above for the Gyarados.

This is becoming quite interesting. :cheeky:

Last edited:

Kotowari

Will be back eventually
    Years
    Kinda isn't it? I've always wondered why they didn't make Gyarados a Dragon Pokemon. He learns Dragon Rage, Hyper beam. Both attacks are learned by pokemon as Dragonite and Salamence. Maybe they thought it would be a discrase to a Dragon Pokemon to have evolved from a Magicarp. To me Gyarados is a dragon type, no matter what the Pokedex says. -- They should make it Dragon/Water...
    Didn't they once say Gyarados was Water/Flying? I might have heard that somewhere, odd as it is, though.

Cerisse

Years
    Strange huh?

Kinda isn't it? I've always wondered why they didn't make Gyarados a Dragon Pokemon. He learns Dragon Rage, Hyper beam. Both attacks are learned by pokemon as Dragonite and Salamence. Maybe they thought it would be a discrase to a Dragon Pokemon to have evolved from a Magicarp. To me Gyarados is a dragon type, no matter what the Pokedex says. -- They should make it Dragon/Water...
    Didn't they once say Gyarados was Water/Flying? I might have heard that somewhere, odd as it is, though.

Ummm...yeah...I think it as in the early R/B/Y/G days when Gyarados was Water/Flying or something. You mean, even in Diamond/Pearl/Platinum it still isn't listed as a dragon type?? :shocked:

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back