• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Why a thread?

Do you like one thread for help or a whole section?

• I agree we should have a section

Votes: 13 52.0%
  • No, I like the thread a lot better

Votes: 12 48.0%

• Total voters

~JV~

Dev of Pokémon Uranium
Years
  • Well the wiki sounds cool, and I think it would be better if it was GD section restricted only, I myself could help with it. ...but, I don't think we should give the lead to KingCharizard... he didn't prove to have any kind of skills or anything, I just see him commenting on the games threads and thats all. First I think there should be some kind of organization before even opening it and also to get Poccil authorization as well, since Essentials will probably be the main subject there and it's his scripts. So yeah, Neo or Avatar organisate some kind of recruitment thread, specify what which ppl will be working on and then we get it started. Maybe we can even make a pokémon GD kind of Bible xD. Well, thats it~

Poeman

Banned
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Nov 1, 2012
    Well the wiki sounds cool, and I think it would be better if it was GD section restricted only, I myself could help with it. ...but, I don't think we should give the lead to KingCharizard... he didn't prove to have any kind of skills or anything, I just see him commenting on the games threads and thats all. First I think there should be some kind of organization before even opening it and also to get Poccil authorization as well, since Essentials will probably be the main subject there and it's his scripts. So yeah, Neo or Avatar organisate some kind of recruitment thread, specify what which ppl will be working on and then we get it started. Maybe we can even make a pokémon GD kind of Bible xD. Well, thats it~
    I would say it should be run by maybe 5 Admins with full power, and several mods based on trusted users.
    Obviously Avatar and Neo-Dragon could be asked to be admins, the others would have to be really good mods.

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
    Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    I agree every other resource online has a section, a wiki will be nice imma start one any supporters?
    https://pokemonessentials.wikidot.com/
    It's nice that you're enthusiastic about it, but perhaps you could just compile a few things in anticipation of the official PokéCommunity wiki (assuming it's approved - go and vote!).

Well the wiki sounds cool, and I think it would be better if it was GD section restricted only, I myself could help with it. ...but, I don't think we should give the lead to KingCharizard... he didn't prove to have any kind of skills or anything, I just see him commenting on the games threads and thats all. First I think there should be some kind of organization before even opening it and also to get Poccil authorization as well, since Essentials will probably be the main subject there and it's his scripts. So yeah, Neo or Avatar organisate some kind of recruitment thread, specify what which ppl will be working on and then we get it started. Maybe we can even make a pokémon GD kind of Bible xD. Well, thats it~
    There's no reason the wiki has to be GD-restricted only. The whole community can have sections in it, of which the GD section is just one (the main page of which would link to everything it contains, much like the forum structure). The ROM hackers can do the same, if they want to use it.

Clearly there's a lot of planning to do. Be sure to mark the wiki pages as "Under construction" while you're still compiling them (so we have a decent base to build on), before opening them to the editing might of the whole community.

It'll be really nice if it works. And I mean really nice.

KingCharizard

C++ Developer Extraordinaire
    Years
  • I dont care about this anymore... I just thought it was a good idea and needed to be pushed... I had no intention to actually run a wiki site, honestly i wouldn't want to but Someone had to do more than talk and I showed some initiative now if you guys are serious you can follow through with this...

mr. ck

कुछ मीठा हो जाये
    Years
  • You guys do realize that creating a wiki takes more than an initiative... You didn't even plan it out... And I think you don't realize this already... You aren't there to take decision for the PC... PC has its own moderation team, the admin, who might do a better job of taking decisions...

What you guys really need is a thread on FAQs, not a wiki, a wiki is a much more ambitious project to keep up with... And with threads here, it is almost official, and almost everyone can contribute since the Mods are the people to edit and create stickys.

But anyway, my personal opinion would be just to forget it... People don't give a damn... How often do people actually follow the much emphasized rules... Nothing will change apart from being a better resource for people who actually care

Maruno

Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    Nothing will change apart from being a better resource for people who actually care
    You say that as if it's a trivial thing. That's the whole point of having such a wiki. Everyone who is making or is thinking of making a game cares, and there's a lot of those people here. Besides, it's very easy to not go to the wiki if you don't want to.

A wiki is a much more open and navigable place than a thread. This makes it much better to host changing and ever-expanding articles such as FAQs and guides (for kits/software as well as individual games - no more "where is HM6?" questions when the wiki has all the answers). Threads are, by definition, linear, and that's not the best style for such things (do you want to look through 30+ pages to find an answer that may not even exist?). And setting up loads of subsections in this forum for all the tutorials and documentation to be stored in some organised manner is even less likely than a community wiki being set up.

We know the decision to have a wiki or not ultimately isn't ours. That doesn't mean we can't start thinking about it now. If the community wiki is rejected, we may well create our own anyway.

You may also notice that this wiki discussion only started the other day. Isn't that too short a time to develop a detailed plan for something that cannot yet be implemented? It's not as though everything has to be added to the wiki immediately, either. And I've linked to the petition thread twice already, and the forum staff are discussing it. I'm sure they'll come up with some nice ideas, along with the rest of us. Give us a chance to get going first, and then you can complain about something you won't use.

KingCharizard

Years
  • You guys do realize that creating a wiki takes more than an initiative... You didn't even plan it out... And I think you don't realize this already... You aren't there to take decision for the PC... PC has its own moderation team, the admin, who might do a better job of taking decisions...

What you guys really need is a thread on FAQs, not a wiki, a wiki is a much more ambitious project to keep up with... And with threads here, it is almost official, and almost everyone can contribute since the Mods are the people to edit and create stickys.

But anyway, my personal opinion would be just to forget it... People don't give a damn... How often do people actually follow the much emphasized rules... Nothing will change apart from being a better resource for people who actually care

I dont think you Realize this but you only have 13 posts and to post such agressive words, but hey who cares right. I'm well aware i'm not a mod, I started a project for PC because most projects here dont get past planning stage, yeah this was a failed attempt... I Wasn't myself when I actually made the site, and i needed a excuse for my actions other than the real reason. Basically I was out partying came home after 6 hours and started the site. It was foolish and like you said not planned out... If a wiki is done its not gonna be by mods, infact for the wiki to be successful the members must contribute... Not many people read the notes, yet they needed to be created to help understand the kit, many people dont read instructions at all but they are always made... I see the wiki to contain resources tutorials guides, code snipplets ect... the wiki could be a great idea if done right...

Yuoaman

I don't know who I am either.
    Years
  • I dont think you Realize this but you only have 13 posts and to post such agressive words, but hey who cares right. I'm well aware i'm not a mod, I started a project for PC because most projects here dont get past planning stage, yeah this was a failed attempt... I Wasn't myself when I actually made the site, and i needed a excuse for my actions other than the real reason. Basically I was out partying came home after 6 hours and started the site. It was foolish and like you said not planned out... If a wiki is done its not gonna be by mods, infact for the wiki to be successful the members must contribute... Not many people read the notes, yet they needed to be created to help understand the kit, many people dont read instructions at all but they are always made... I see the wiki to contain resources tutorials guides, code snipplets ect... the wiki could be a great idea if done right...

I could make the same case about your paltry post count, but I don't. Because post count means very little, it's just a little number that small people parade around like some sort of rank. And I find it unlikely that someone would return from a night of partying, only to create a wiki in a fit of passion... just doesn't sound quite right.

~JV~

Dev of Pokémon Uranium
    Years
  • mr. ck didn't use any agressive words, he just pointed out in a organisated and quite cold way that in his opinion it wouldn't work. Maybe because he is quite new here, he doesn't know that there is a bunch of good and dedicated members in this section that would be willing to do the best to make the wiki work. However, he has a good point, the people who will really need it, won't access it at all, noobs are just too lazy to read through articles to solve their problems. And thats comprehensible, they are noobs after all, new to how things work on a GD forum etc. Well but I still think that compilating all our knowledge in one place is still interesting... I myself have my one little secrets and scripts that I use and could share in some way with people =].

zingzags

PokemonGDX creator
    Years
  • Well hes going to find out how dedicated are members are... also i can be able to help on the wiki once while, cuz im a very busy guy!

KingCharizard

Years
  • I could make the same case about your paltry post count, but I don't. Because post count means very little, it's just a little number that small people parade around like some sort of rank. And I find it unlikely that someone would return from a night of partying, only to create a wiki in a fit of passion... just doesn't sound quite right.

wow Seriously?! this is what i mean when people constantly attack me or my posts, what this nessasary? You are right about the post count, and my post count is small compared to yours but I was trying to point out he was a new member, trying to tell me that i'm not a mod, I'm pretty sure thats obvious and doesn't need to be pointed out. I couldn't care less what U think, the fact is i went out with frends came home couldn't sleep and got on the internet saw the topic and just named a wiki pokemonessnetials and left it alone... But for you to try to invalidate my story is immature and annoying, Yeah I'm frusterated because like a mod said somewhere else the members are stubborn arrogant and immature... But that's the last your gonna hear from me. I'm not getting into this bickering crap again...

Yuoaman

Years
  • This situation simply demands a visit from Yuoamoron.

wow Seriously?! srsly this is what i mean when people constantly attack me or my posts, what this nessasary? i no!!!! i atak ppl al teh tiem, & dey retalyate!!!! WTF!? You are right about the post count, and my post count is small compared to yours darn-tootin' but I was trying to point out he was a new member i thot he wuz a 12 yere membr! , trying to tell me that i'm not a mod, I'm pretty sure thats obvious and doesn't need to be pointed out. i thot u wur a mod tho I couldn't care less what U think i haet dat U guy 2!!!!, the fact is i went out with frends came home couldn't sleep and got on the internet saw the topic and just named a wiki pokemonessnetials and left it alone... if i had a nikel for evry tiem i did this... But for you to try to invalidate my story is immature and annoying xactly teh oposit of dis poset, Yeah I'm frusterated because like a mod said somewhere else the members are stubborn arrogant and immature...liek dat Yoaamabadaman guy But that's the last your gonna hear from me. I'm not getting into this bickering crap again... ya u wanna stae away frum teh crap, it gits into ur hare...

And Mono, bravo. That definitely needed to be said.

I have to also agree that, if we had some members on board with the wiki, it would be great for the community.

zane203

Zetsumei barer
    Years
  • I'll put it like this on why a section would be better
    ---

If to many post at the same time, then some problems are going to get overlooked

If many problems are posted, and someone answers one of them, then how is the person gonna know which out of the plentiful amounts of posts was meant for him directly.

By having you own sections, mods can easily mark whats resolved and lock it... plain and simple =3

-Just my two cents

Yuoaman

Years
  • I'll put it like this on why a section would be better
    ---

If to many post at the same time, then some problems are going to get overlooked

If many problems are posted, and someone answers one of them, then how is the person gonna know which out of the plentiful amounts of posts was meant for him directly.

By having you own sections, mods can easily mark whats resolved and lock it... plain and simple =3

-Just my two cents

That's what the Quote function is for. And you could also put down --name--: --comment--... Not that hard. :\

Maruno

Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    Okay, apologies to the community for that, and just to keep this post somewhat on topic, I think a wiki would be a great idea, but how much in the long run would that do for noobs? If they hardly find the time to read notes.html, or use Google, what makes you think they'll read through a wiki? :( It would be a great thing for those average members though.
    The wiki discussion was off-topic, as I recall, but I suppose since it's dominating the thread now...

To be fair, Essentials' notes aren't as accessible as they could be. Plus, with an official community wiki we can have links to it all over the place, so the "noobs" are more likely to see it. And the wiki would be better laid out than a single huge document (okay, two, but the advanced notes aren't in demand quite so much) and a couple of much huger threads.

And finally, "noobs" are the ones that, by definition, don't get it right all the time. They're the ones asking for hacking advice. There'll always be "noobs" (I don't like using that word, not sure why), and we'll have to teach them the ways regardless of the systems we have set up. So having a wiki or not won't affect the "noobs", but will benefit the other users, so I don't see a downside.

I'll put it like this on why a section would be better
    ---

-Just my two cents
    That looks dangerously like the original thread topic. Wasn't expecting that.

You raise good points. However, I think some problems will always get overlooked, whether they're new threads in a section or just new posts in a thread. A quick analysis of the responses will tell you if it's referring to your problem or someone else's, because odds are the posted problems will be quite different (plus some nice people quote the person they're replying to).

Having a section, in which resolved questions/threads are locked, means much more work for the mods. I'm not suggesting they're a group of lazy... individuals, but dumping this extra load of work on them is a bit harsh. Besides, the threads have worked well enough so far.

Also, locking threads precludes the possibility of follow-up questions, leading to repeat questions (which makes things untidy, and the mods don't like untidy things here). And since many people will title their thread "i need helps!" rather than summarising their actual problem, navigating through them to find what you're looking for would be even harder than scanning a single thread.

I don't think one way is inherently better than the other, though (providing both ways are used correctly). Both have their merits and their flaws. And when it comes down to it, we're already used to single threads, so we might as well keep them.

mr. ck

कुछ मीठा हो जाये
    Years
  • I think what I really want to say is, forget about the noobs, they neither learn anything nor care to... You need better reasons to decide what you want... And I am actually pro the idea of a wiki since now no noobs are concerned...

Btw: hmm... yeah thanks for supporting me... Because king's post was mostly all flamebait D:

zane203

Zetsumei barer
    Years
  • if 15 pages were added between the time you posted for help and the request was responded too, that is a lot of reading to skim through to find...

It just seems unreasonable "IMO" but non the less, w.e lolz

Back