• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Why are Legendaries Hated?

Years
    I could think of no better place to put this...but why do some people hate and refuse to use the legendaries? (ie, Rayquaza, the Regis, Latios/Latias)? I mean, if you can only get them by cheating (like most people get Deoxys/Jirachi, from the looks of it) I can understand. But if you honestly catch them, why should it matter? Isn't anything game? Like the backbone of my team is Rayquaza (I have done no cheating) and yet people make it seem that that is cheating...I just don't understand.
    //EDIT//
    Right after I submitted, my Rayquaza just leveled up to 90...anybody want to take it on? :rambo:

Last edited:

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
    It's not how you get them, it's the fact that they have incredibly high stats and requires virtually no training to make it a really good Pokemon to use. No one could care less if you cheated to get Deoxys, but if you use it sa some sort of mega-attacker and stuff, them people will think you're cheating and stuff.

firemaster

Art Martyr
    Years
    legendaries are so powerful that it eliminates the need to use strategy and build a team with well thaught out moveset's and controlled EV's. Also, lets not forget how important it is to get a poke with the right nature (i restarted sapphire like 20 tomes before i got a mudkip w/ modest nature...

BTW, my lv 78 absol will pwnage Rayquaza :P

of course, i got the type thing going for me, so meh.... doesnt say much....

smithy.boy

Hack and PKMN egg farmer
    Years
    • Seen Sep 8, 2022
    i dont wanna sound like a noob but whats own mean. anyway i like ledgendaries but there abit stupid when u fight against mates cuz their high stats

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
    Own, or pwn (a typo that has come about as common internet lingo) is just to say that a certain thing is better than another. So for example, Latias owns Magikarp, Rayquaza pwns Feebas etc.

Years
    It's not the fact that people hate them as such, it's just that they take the fun out of the Pokemon games. Because they start off at high levels with high stats, you find no need to raise a team and put hard work and effort into making a team of you're own, made of normal Pokemon to beet the Elite 4. You know what I mean? I mean I love the ledgendaries, like Suicune, Lugia, Zapdos and Raquayza, but I much prefere to build my own team that I spent time to train ^_^

Emerald Queen

Dragon Training Apprentice
    Years
    It's not just that, either. Finding and catching the Legendaries is a feat in itself: I tend to look on them as some kind of prize to be got after you've beaten the Elite 4. Saying that, I've now got two Rayquaza at Lvl 100, one Groudon and one Kyogre I don't use them for battling, per se, but if i've a weaker pokemon to train up, I use them to do the fighting, as they are capable of taking more punishment.

Years
    • Seen Oct 14, 2016
    they aren't hated they are coveted. by ME!!!! I especially like Jirachi!!(isn't it obvious?)

Years
    Alot of people want them also, there is an equal amount of people who have them in their parties and people who do not.Those people get angry cause they worked hard to raise their poke'mon who are not legendaries and yet still lose cause of extreamely high stats without putting in alot of time or effort.

I don't really care though cause my poke'mon will beat everything no matter if it's a legendary lol.

firemaster

Art Martyr
    Years
    its like this: there are 2 pokemon games:

1 is the legendaries, they are easy to get... anyone who has an hour can get a Rayquaza, even if they arent extremely skilled... Its not hard.... ex. Thanks to rattata, super fang, i caught latios w/ a pokeball (i know... i didnt have to but it looks so cool coming outta a boring pokeball)
    Anyways, my point is this:

Legendaries:
    Easier to get (yea, i said it... its easier than leveling up)
    Stronger
    Few choices, which means the same boring pokemon again and again...

Non-legendaries:
    Takes time and dedication to make powerful
    Weaker than a pokemon "raised" with a toss of a masterball
    Many choices, dont see the same team again and again... there are no cookie cutter movesets, you train and plan yourself.

I will never play online battle sims until teams are based on stat totals.

EX. sure, you can have 3 legendaries, but thats all you get. 3x 680 base stat total and yer filled up....

But there is one REAL reason why non legendairies are better...

my fav pokemon in my current game is my lovingly raised Breloom, a pokemon that has, in my experience, far surpassed the level of faith a person would normally put into a 'weak' pokemon.

I caught it in a pokeball at level 6 after taking half of its hp. I walked into the first gym, beat everyone, and came out with a level 12 shroomish that had a full HP bar.

Please tell me how a legenday, no matter how 'good' can compete with that?

SapphireL

I don't wanna lose your love..
    Years
    Yeah. I like some legendary Pokemon, but I don't use them because of their already high stats. IMO, there are easily many replacements for these Pokes.

Like instead of using Mew, I use Gardevoir/Chimecho
    Instead of Rayquaza, I use Dragonite
    Intead of the great Kyogre, I use FERALIGATR

etc.

Kecleon_

Spriter
    Years
    ryanguhr said:
    I mean, if you can only get them by cheating (like most people get Deoxys/Jirachi, from the looks of it) I can understand.
    Well, people mostly cheat to get Deoxys, but I and many others got Jirachi officially by downloading it off of the Pokemon Colluseum preview. (A little off-topic, but I felt it needed to be said.)

The only reason I would use a legendary (in a two player battle) is if I knew I was fighting someone who was planning on using one too. Other than that, I try to raise a team built with Pokemon I like that aren't legends.

It annoys me when I see someone has a team built of only legendaries, then they go on bragging about how they're so strong and no one can beat them. It's not impressive at all, and someone who's trained up a good team out of just common Pokemon could probably whip them.

The way I see it, people who use legendaries tend to know less about the game itself. (They probably have never even heard of EV's.)

C.O.H

Patrick Star
    Years
    I think the legendarys are to boring to use, they're already trained and have very high stats and attacks, and you can't breed them :'( so I do not use them ^^

Dratini927

Matt the Drat
    Years
    They're mostly just overrated. Like people said, they need virtually no strategy to use, and not much training either. Their high stats make them popular to people who don't try to use other little Pokemon to win battles. A lot of people just mostly use legendaries in their team, and are voted as "cheap" players, since they can wipe out almost anything. This is mainly the reason why they are hated..because they are cheap, and take no strategy to use.

Lord Jaws

The Lovable Tramp
    Years
    I like legendaries only on the GBA. They are a reward for such things as beating the Elite 4. However, after I have trained the legendaries I want to use (Groudon is only level 90 :P and I havent touched my legendary dogs). I then go and try to recreate my custom pokemon that I have made on NetBattle. For example I have a Cursetank. To get that I had to get a male Smeargle, have it Sketch a Gastly using Curse, then breed it with Miltank, then add moves like Shadow Ball through TMs. Accomplishing a customised pokemon like that was just as satisfying as catching Kyogre.

charizard_maa

Queen Chair
    Years
    What i hate the most about them is that some legendaries have some exculous moves like Latias and Mist Ball. I know it not much but it just call and not many pokemon (None at all) can learn it. I just like to see a Gengar to use Mist Ball or some Charizard to use Scared Fire. That just make it cool.

Ghorak

Gum-gum Ball
    Years
    • Age 35
    • Seen Mar 8, 2005
    I don?t hate legendary Pokemon but I don?t like use them in my team. Only I use my favourite Pokemon

Back