• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Why are there no Gen 1 Dark types?

Years
    Except Togepi's evos had their Normal typing replaced by Fairy despite being dual typed.

Good point, but by comparison the Fairy type was much more.. compatible with designs of the older Pokémon who received it (for the most part). Togepi itself was retyped to pure Fairy type so that changed the whole line from the get-go. And X and Y were 13 years after Gold and Silver, so a change in methods isn't too extraordinary. :P

Tek

Years
    They changed bite to a dark-type move, which a lot of pokemon learn. It sure would have been cool for Arbok to get a dark typing, though.

stp

ShootThePuck
    Years
    Mega Gyarados should have definitely been Dark-type. It's Japanese name, Gyaradosu means "to pierce flesh" or "to stab". If that's not dark for Pokemon I don't know what is.

Mega Gyarados is Dark-type. It's Water / Dark.

I would have liked to see Raticate made Dark. Definitely Arbok too.

Zorogami

WUB WUB
    Years
    I think the only Gen 1 that would fit the Dark type are the Ghastly line and Arbok really. Since Ghastly - Gengar are already dual typed, i guess they didnt want to change that. Arbok getting dark type would have been pretty cool and made it more relevant...too bad

Back