• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Why do some people think pokemon is childish?

Status
Not open for further replies.
    Years
    [SIZE="a"]Seriously, it involves a lot of strategy. It's much better than those modern ego-shooter. I was never able to trade with others cus no one in my school played it or thought it was childish.[/SIZE]

Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Jul 14, 2021
    Although I agree with you that the game needs a lot of strategy, the real truth is that the anime is targeted to children to make their parents spent money to buy their games or mechandise or whatever the Pokemon franchise have.

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
    The way it's marketed everywhere outside Japan.

Parents see it as just another cartoon without even knowing about the games' existence.

coolcatkim22

Team Rocket's Rockin'
    Years
    The short answer: Because it's a child's game.

The long answer: Maybe because a game marketed towards children, is created for children and is made for systems made by Nintendo (a company known for making children's games) is going to make people think it's a child's game (which it is).

In any case, I find it best not to worry about what other people think. Most people notions of what other people should and shouldn't like/believe are dependent on what would make them the most happiness and not what makes everyone else happy.

Much like you are doing right now by saying that people aren't allowed to believe that Pokemon is for children.

Years
    [SIZE="a"]Nice answers. =)

It would be awesome if the anime followed the manga. Anyone ever read "the electric tale of pikachu"? It's hilarious and it's not childish at all. The U.S version even needed to censor some pages or images.[/SIZE]

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    The short answer: Because it's a child's game.

The long answer: Maybe because a game marketed towards children, is created for children and is made for systems made by Nintendo (a company known for making children's games) is going to make people think it's a child's game (which it is).

In any case, I find it best not to worry about what other people think. Most people notions of what other people should and shouldn't like/believe are dependent on what would make them the most happiness and not what makes everyone else happy.

Much like you are doing right now by saying that people aren't allowed to believe that Pokemon is for children.

1. Child's game != Childish.
    2. He did not say no one was allowed to believe it was for children. He complained that about not being able to play with anyone but that's far from even implying that everyone shouldn't be allowed to believe it's for children.

You can have a children-oriented game/show/book without the 'childish' stigma. Think Spongebob, Disney movies.

sherreamethyst

Dragonite's Momma
    Years
    WAHHHH, I KNOW IT'S CHILDISH BUT IT'S JUST SOO MACH FUNN....

Like everyone is saying, it's because of the way it's marketed toward children. But you see, if it wasn't for that, we probably wouldn't be playing it today.

My brother always compares COD to Pokemon. He says COD is much more mature, much more fun, and much more "strategic" than Pokemon. I agree that it is much more mature and it is fun, but not as fun as Pokemon, but I don't believe it is that much of a strategy game. Just practice aiming and memorizing the maps, and you're pretty much set to kick butt on COD. On Pokemon, the thing that makes it mature is the secrets of stats, IVs, and EVs that goes along with battling. The makers of Pokemon put that in for the older audience that way the game can be childish and fun for children, and strategic and mature for teens/adults. If only people knew the strategy that goes into battling...

Joshawott

Banned
    Years
    It's simple, really. People who think Pokémon is childish either know very little about it and are merely being judgmental, or just claim to have "grown up" from such entertainment. That being said, it could also be because of all the marketing associated with Pokémon and that their merchandise is popular at certain retailers, such as Toys "R" Us and Wal-Mart.

Prior to contrary belief, Pokémon offers entertainment to people of all ages. The anime, the video games, the trading cards, you name it! Ever notice how there has been a female swimmer in every single main Pokémon RPG to date who claims to have lost her bikini? That's just one of the things Game Freak tossed into their works that older audiences may find amusing.

coolcatkim22

Team Rocket's Rockin'
    Years
    1. Child's game != Childish.

What does the word "childish" mean to you?

2. He did not say no one was allowed to believe it was for children. He complained that about not being able to play with anyone but that's far from even implying that everyone shouldn't be allowed to believe it's for children.
    I suppose that I could have just been misinterpreting what he said, but honestly, he wrote so little it was hard to tell what he wanted.
    He said his problem without giving a solution so I assumed he wanted us to give him a solution. His problem seemed to only have two solutions: 1. Change the other kids' opinion. 2. Get over it.
    Obviously, if he could convince these other kids otherwise he would have already done it and if he got over it he wouldn't be here so that changes the solutions: 1. Force the kids to change their opinion. 2. Try harder to get over it.
    Clearly, he's not trying to get over it since, again, he wouldn't be here if that was true. So clearly, he wants to force these kids to change their opinions.

Now, if I'm wrong I apologize but this is the only logical conclusion I could come from. And by judging what he wants I have decided to suggest option two. That's all it is to it.

You can have a children-oriented game/show/book without the 'childish' stigma. Think Spongebob, Disney movies.
    No, Spongbob and Disney movies still get that stigma. It's just that you're less likely to see them criticize as childish since Spongebob is comedy and Disney is mostly classical. Pokemon falls more into the genre of science fiction/fantasy/adventure kind of genres.
    See, if something is comedy then it isn't childish since comedy transcends age groups. Disney is classical, romance, historical, slice of life, ect. These genre are most notable in works of adult works so even if the movie is aimed at children, people will be less hesitant to call it childish.
    But when it comes to genres like fantasy/science fiction/adventure, people will consider it childish even if it has adult themes. That's why things like Star Wars and Lord of the Rings are called, by some, childish even though there is some pretty mature themes within it.

Years
    WAHHHH, I KNOW IT'S CHILDISH BUT IT'S JUST SOO MACH FUNN....

Like everyone is saying, it's because of the way it's marketed toward children. But you see, if it wasn't for that, we probably wouldn't be playing it today.

My brother always compares COD to Pokemon. He says COD is much more mature, much more fun, and much more "strategic" than Pokemon. I agree that it is much more mature and it is fun, but not as fun as Pokemon, but I don't believe it is that much of a strategy game. Just practice aiming and memorizing the maps, and you're pretty much set to kick butt on COD. On Pokemon, the thing that makes it mature is the secrets of stats, IVs, and EVs that goes along with battling. The makers of Pokemon put that in for the older audience that way the game can be childish and fun for children, and strategic and mature for teens/adults. If only people knew the strategy that goes into battling...

Agree agree!!! As long as it is fun, I don't think it doesn't matter =). They are just missing out on A LOT!!

Glad to be a pokemon addict lol

My brother is like your brother XD He plays COD or etc... He used to play pokemon when he was little but i guess it didn't appeal to him anymore... Too bad, I wanted to trade and fight him... That'd be awesome

It's simple, really. People who think Pokémon is childish either know very little about it and are merely being judgmental, or just claim to have "grown up" from such entertainment. That being said, it could also be because of all the marketing associated with Pokémon and that their merchandise is popular at certain retailers, such as Toys "R" Us and Wal-Mart.

Prior to contrary belief, Pokémon offers entertainment to people of all ages. The anime, the video games, the trading cards, you name it! Ever notice how there has been a female swimmer in every single main Pokémon RPG to date who claims to have lost her bikini? That's just one of the things Game Freak tossed into their works that older audiences may find amusing.

I did notice that there are female swimmers but I never noticed that they lost their bikini O.o.. Lol I gonna restart ruby and look for it XD

[/FONT][/SIZE]

I suppose that I could have just been misinterpreting what he said, but honestly, he wrote so little it was hard to tell what he wanted.
    He said his problem without giving a solution so I assumed he wanted us to give him a solution. His problem seemed to only have two solutions: 1. Change the other kids' opinion. 2. Get over it.
    Obviously, if he could convince these other kids otherwise he would have already done it and if he got over it he wouldn't be here so that changes the solutions: 1. Force the kids to change their opinion. 2. Try harder to get over it.
    Clearly, he's not trying to get over it since, again, he wouldn't be here if that was true. So clearly, he wants to force these kids to change their opinions.

Now, if I'm wrong I apologize but this is the only logical conclusion I could come from. And by judging what he wants I have decided to suggest option two. That's all it is to it.

No, Spongbob and Disney movies still get that stigma. It's just that you're less likely to see them criticize as childish since Spongebob is comedy and Disney is mostly classical. Pokemon falls more into the genre of science fiction/fantasy/adventure kind of genres.
    See, if something is comedy then it isn't childish since comedy transcends age groups. Disney is classical, romance, historical, slice of life, ect. These genre are most notable in works of adult works so even if the movie is aimed at children, people will be less hesitant to call it childish.
    But when it comes to genres like fantasy/science fiction/adventure, people will consider it childish even if it has adult themes. That's why things like Star Wars and Lord of the Rings are called, by some, childish even though there is some pretty mature themes within it.

Ahaha sorry that I wrote so little, ne but i am just wondering.. I guess it sounded more a complain to you XD ahah Sorry about that.. And sorry for the long quote, i don't know how to seperate quotes

Oh I never heard that Star Wars and Lord of the Rings are childish O.o

Last edited:

ShinyUmbreon189

VLONE coming soon
    Years
    First of all, the Anime is more aimed at younger audiences; but, the games for handheld devices are not aimed at children at all. Pokemon games take a lot of strategy and the complexity of the game is to difficult for a kid to understand. For example, a kid might not know that a Pokemon that is Ground and Rock type and share 2 of the same traits is actually 4x weak to Grass, Water, etc. I'm not saying all kids are like that but a mojority of them don't understand "the game". Children don't know about IV and EV training either nor do they know about Special Attack/Defense and the Attack/Defense. They don't know which is which so they will give Feraligatr moves like Ice Beam/Blizzard, Hydro Pump even though moves like Ice Fang and Waterfall are more powerful because Feraligatr is a physical attacker. Little kids also don't know that much about the game I have seen countless times a little kid form a team full of legendaries which is super NOOB! It makes anyone look like they don't know what they are doing when they have legendaries. I remember when Pokemon first came out and I did the same thing but now I understand the complexity of the game.

Also, people think it is childish because deep down inside they probably don't want to be the laughing stock of the whole school if you know what I mean. They probably secretely like Pokemon. My friend said Pokemon is so gay and that it's childish but, when I left to run to the store I got back he was playing my Heart Gold. It might also be that the 14 and 15 year olds now have to work with the crappy generation of Pokemon nintendo has given them. I grew up with 1st and 2nd gen, pretty much when Pokemon came out and I don't think Pokemon is childish at all. I don't for say care for the anime because I think it's childish to an extent especially the newer episodes. But when they play the old school episodes on TV I'm gonna watch it because that's what I grew up watching. If you grew up during the beginning of Pokemon in the 90's then Pokemon is going to have a special place in your heart because its a huge childhood memory. I will always like Pokemon, I don't like the newer generations at all and think they are all total crap but the first 151 Pokemon, you can't dislike them, they started it all!

Jason Wolf

The Chronicler
    Years
    ok I get that alot of people think pokemon is childish because of sterotypes and marketing, but seriously people have you seen the community for it? over half the people that play it are in their mid teens and a good number of those people are able to see the seriousness in the game. when it comes to the games specifically people steriotype nintendo as the kids game company since they actually have some values and decent games (COD is the creation of heartless money grubbing capitalists and so is all of its clones). The other problem is how the game is played. little kids can pick up pokemon and play it at the basic level and make it through the pokemon league and all that (I did with gen 1 when I was a kid), but as I got older I was able to do much more with the games. I actually understood how things worked and can really do some cool things. Look at the PvP community for pokemon those people are crazy and they are not kids. If I used my team from when I started out I wouldn't have a chance, but with what I know today I can do amazing in the game and exceed.

Years
    • :D
    • Seen Apr 11, 2012
    It's basically because the anime is marketed to children and the anime has a big part of the marketing along with merchandise that are better suited to kids, it got that fame
    But when you look t the fan base (like PC, BMGf, Serebii, those that don't frequent forums and specially the Nuzlockers) you'll see a big part of the fan base is old.
    And as said before, this game does requires a bit of strategy and competitive battling isn't really something a kid would get that easily, yet there's a bunch of them (take Smogon as an example)

coolcatkim22

Team Rocket's Rockin'
    Years
    Ahaha sorry that I wrote so little, ne but i am just wondering.. I guess it sounded more a complain to you XD ahah Sorry about that.. And sorry for the long quote, i don't know how to seperate quotes
    It's okay. It's just I get tired of people bringing this up. I've heard it so many times it just sounds like whining to me (I'm not trying to say you are, I don't think you are but it's hard to tell).
    It's just, I want for once in the million times this has been brought up to be taken seriously instead of just being pointless b- ... complaining.

Oh I never heard that Star Wars and Lord of the Rings are childish O.o
    Oh trust, me people like that exist. I almost got into a serious long debate with something whether Star Wars is childish or not. I stopped debating when the person I was arguing with kept going in circles.

Years
    [/FONT][/SIZE]

It's okay. It's just I get tired of people bringing this up. I've heard it so many times it just sounds like whining to me (I'm not trying to say you are, I don't think you are but it's hard to tell).
    It's just, I want for once in the million times this has been brought up to be taken seriously instead of just being pointless b- ... complaining.

Oh trust, me people like that exist. I almost got into a serious long debate with something whether Star Wars is childish or not. I stopped debating when the person I was arguing with kept going in circles.

lol what did that guy find childish in star wars? O.o

arbok

cobra pokemon
    Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2013
    Because really it's a kids game. But it's adapted to have a deep stratagy inside. A kid will give his Charizard 100 rare candys and teach it hyperbeam then think it's unbeatable. When I was younger I didn't know the diffrence between Sp. Attack and Attack. I thought stat changing moves were a waste of a turn (the other pokemon didn't get hurt?? Whats the point in that??). The dialog itself doesn't really seem adult if I still remember Team Rocket members talking about how evil they were and how mistreating pokemon is fun. It still hasn't improved much now with Team Plasma saying how anyone who thinks diffrently is wrong. It's all done to paint the bad guys as bad guys which is a very childish princible.
    The bright colours of the Anime coupled with how many of the pokemon just say their names in high pitched voices also adds to it.
    It's reached the point where I was talking to someone the other day and the ghosts of Lavander Tower came up and someone else who had clearly never touched Pokemon before in his life was suprised pokemon could actually die.

Really they are games aimed to appeal at both children and adults but the childish side is clearer, more in your face and that's the side that shows to non-gamers.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015

child·ish adj \ˈchī(-ə)l-dish\
    Definition of CHILDISH

: of, relating to, or befitting a child or childhood
    a : marked by or suggestive of immaturity and lack of poise <a childish spiteful remark>
    b : lacking complexity : simple <it's a childish device, but it works>
    c : deteriorated with age especially in mind : senile

When people call something "childish", they generally don't mean "related to a child". Most of the time, especially using it in a negative light, they're referring to the "immaturity"/"lack of complexity" definitions of childish. These people that are claiming Pokemon is childish are generally not saying "the game was created for children", they're claiming that the game isn't complex/mature enough for anyone above children to be playing.

People that call Star Wars/LotR childish are just dumb, but that's completely off-topic. This basically sounds like you're accepting "it's not childish but people say it is because of its genre", which is a fine compromise by me, lol.

blue

gucci
    Years
    Cos they watched it when they were a kid but really, Black & White is aimed at the more mature audience so anyone who says it's for kids is wrong really, it's for anyone who enjoys it, kids aren't aware of IV & EV traning, natures etc.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back