• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Why do they need the trade machine?

Years
  • Probably to make it official or something with the Pokemon League or something.
    Do they even use it anymore? *can't remember* The last tiem I remember seeing it used was during that S.S. Anne episode XD;

Semidos

Misty Fan Forever
    Years
    • Seen Aug 11, 2014
    To make pokemon obey for person who you trade with.

Years
    • Seen Jun 21, 2010
    My guess, when the balls go through the machine, it sends somehting into the ball to maker the Pokemon understand that it's being traded and has a new owner. That way, it wouldn't be like stealing and the Pokemon would rebel.

Izanagi

Jesus Saves.
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Mar 14, 2011
    I guess to make it legal according to League regulations, so that no one can say "Hey, that's not your Pokemon!" Or something like that.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    To avoid trading the wrong sort of balls.

xJordan360

plurfection.
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 2, 2014
    I'd assume the machine is used to transfer the Data of ownership, so the Pokemon can be claimed by the new owner. Can't be said stolen, or what have you.

Bluerang1

pin pin
    Years
  • Yes, like others said, something to do with ownership. Like how adoption happens, you'll need papers and stuff. So like the Machine tells the Pokemon in the Pokeball that they have a new owner they should get used to.

RainbowMunchies

♪~PANTALOONS~♪
    Years
  • Most likely it's what everyone else has been saying. A lot of stuff in the pokemon world has to be registered, so it would make sense that the pokeballs would have to be registered under the name of the new owners.

Guest123_x1

I always thought it had to do with certain Pokémon that evolve by trading (such as Machoke and Graveler) and maybe also league rules such as what others here have been saying.
    As for Pokémon that evolve by trading, that wouldn't happen by simply swaping the Pokéballs with another trainer.

Left4Dead

Are you mental in the face?
    Years
  • My opinion is the same as a lot of peoples here. I think the machine will log that information and send it to the pokemon league or something. When you collect 8 badges and enter the pokemon league you have to register the 6 pokemon you're using don't you? If you have a Pokemon you stole then it obviously won't be registered to your name therefore you won't be able to use it (an would probably get arrested) but if you traded it using a machine it will appear in the database and it will be eligible to use. That's my theory anyway, I'm starting to speak as if Pokemon were real haha.

Giratina ♀

what's your sign?
    Years
    • Seen Jul 23, 2013
    I was thinking that they switch the Trainer IDs on the Pokéballs so that the new Trainer legally owns the Pokémon and can't say that they traded it with a guy they stole it from or something. Also, it might work like WiFi - someone in Veilstone could trade with someone in Cinnabar, for example.

kokopuffchan

a s h e n
    Years
  • i don't think they really show it much in the anime, but i think a lot of things in pokemon are registered. you have to register to be a trainer, pokemon are probably logged by professors [and in the pokedex] and when inserted into your 18 storage boxes [probably designated to your name]. trades are logged. your team is logged every time you compete [with a gym leader, battle frontier, elite 4]. etc. just my theory, though.

Vernikova

Banned
    Years
  • bwburke94 said:
    Remember, Misty used Pikachu and Vulpix in the princess episode...

They didn't trade Pokgmon though.

Zizi said:
    Omg I havn't seen that machine in ages O.o what happened to that epic machine..

It was recently used when Ash traded Dawn his Aipom for her Buizel. I don't think that it's been brought up again though.

dragontamerandrea

i love my scalies. :3
    Years
  • In the older manga the Pokemon would have like a little electronic tag on them that looked like a little badge whenever they were caught that had the information that they were caught by such and such
    I assume the machine is basically swapping the info on the tags that can no longer be seen in the anime

Back