• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Why do you think Nintendo abandoned the Azure Flute?

Years
    Originally you were supposed to catch Arceus by getting the AF from an event but they scrapped it and just gave you Arceus. Kind of lame IMO, catching him is much more fun.

Years
    • Seen Oct 26, 2016
    I have wondered the same thing.... And wondered about the remaining Pokewalker courses. I desire the Pokewalker course just a tad but more though. I think Nintendo probably created those events to reserve the space for. After all we were never intended to have discovered this all in the game data.

For those that have Arceus from a hacked flute.... Its possible to get two of the lvl 1 Legendaries by returning to the ruins with Arceus. Perhaps Nintendo realized this could happen and gave us only one event to get it rather than one event and one item.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    I thought the event (though the only ones you could see online were, obviously, obtained by hacking) was pretty cool and I wish the item had been distributed. They had a good thing going there. I think it was in place mainly to troll since we never got the Azure Flute as an official item though. I really can't think of a reason to not distribute it other than to say, "Haha, thought you were getting this, didn't you? lololol!"

Why do you think Nintendo abandoned the Azure Flute?

Wings Don't Cry

Maybe she's born with it
    Years
    Maybe they thought it might be unfair if someone could get some EVs on the god of Pokemon with a 720 BST. Of course they probably didn't realise this until after the game was released.

Years
    • Seen Oct 26, 2016
    Maybe they thought it might be unfair if someone could get some EVs on the god of Pokemon with a 720 BST. Of course they probably didn't realise this until after the game was released.

Aren't Legendaries banned from most tournaments though? So people would only really be EV training for their own casual play or their in game party?

I think the fact that Nintendo had Pokewalker courses hidden in HG/SS that were never released as events proves that Nintendo keeps doors open as possibile releases, but can always change their mind. Perhaps something just didn't work right in their mind during some kind of playtesting... It's easier to not release an event than to remove it from the programming all together once a certain stage of developement has been reached.

I personally have always wished it were possible to use the flute and be able to capture Arceus. It is much, much, MUCH more satisfying to have rare legendaries Pokemon in your collection that you had to work hard battling to catch than to have one you just had to go to an event to get.[I love my shiny beasts from last winter's event... but I love my Non-Shiny beasts from Colloseum much better because they were hard to capture and had the added pain in Colloseum of opening their hearts and removing their shadow status]

Outkin

OM*G PIKMIN 3!!!
    Years
    I agree that it'd be cool to capture him like that, but from hacking that item myself, it was kinda sad...(Oh hey a free flute! Oooo, I feel like going up the mountain today! I feel like randomly playing my flute! Oh hey a glowing staircase! Oh wow, a legendary pogyman!) I wish the event was a little mre...interesting. A small side quest at the very least! .....I know it wasn't even legal but still, they could have put a little more into it. (Maybe they were ashamed of themselves XD)

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
    I'm not too surprised - many games have things programmed into them that never get used. Why they didn't use it is unknown - maybe they felt wifi distrubution of the actual Pokemon would be better though in this case or weren't satisfied with the flute event?

Years
    I'm guessing they put it in as an always-open option and decided to scrap the idea.

I'm kinda glad. I wish he was unobtainable in the first place. It boggles my mind how most legendaries keep balance in the world and you can just waltz up and capture them. Arceus is the supposed God of all pokemon, and a 10 year old kid is suppose to be able to capture him? All obtainable legendaries are okay with me except that. It just seems too unrealistic.

But hey, it's a fictional game.

Years
    • Seen Jun 25, 2012
    I believe that the reason it was excluded was because of the enormous amount of hackers that got an arceus that way. I believe that nintendo decided to not include either arceus or shaymin for that reason. Anyways, can you imagine trying to catch a lvl 80 arceus with recover, refresh, future sight, and hyper beam. It was too hard to catch without a masterball anyways

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
    I believe that the reason it was excluded was because of the enormous amount of hackers that got an arceus that way. I believe that nintendo decided to not include either arceus or shaymin for that reason. Anyways, can you imagine trying to catch a lvl 80 arceus with recover, refresh, future sight, and hyper beam. It was too hard to catch without a masterball anyways
    I disagree personally - it didn't stop any other in-game event in the 4th gen from being distributed in the majority of places. (Shaymin's in-game event in Platinum had been activated by a wifi event).

Years
    • Seen Jun 25, 2012
    I disagree personally - it didn't stop any other in-game event in the 4th gen from being distributed in the majority of places. (Shaymin's in-game event in Platinum had been activated by a wifi event).

I do know that they changed the shaymin event so that if one tweaked or used a glitch to get to shaymin it would not be there. It is a possibility that Nintendo messed up on a few things and corrected them in Platinum

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
    I do know that they changed the shaymin event so that if one tweaked or used a glitch to get to shaymin it would not be there. It is a possibility that Nintendo messed up on a few things and corrected them in Platinum
    Yeah, if you are in part referring to the early 'surf in pokemon league walk through void to event pokemon' glitch for instance then that was fixed in later Diamond/Pearl games, not just Platinum. (As in the glitch had been fixed, idk about making Shaymin not appear if you didn't actually have the letter...)

Years
    • Seen Jun 25, 2012
    Yeah, if you are in part referring to the early 'surf in pokemon league walk through void to event pokemon' glitch for instance then that was fixed in later Diamond/Pearl games, not just Platinum. (As in the glitch had been fixed, idk about making Shaymin not appear if you didn't actually have the letter...)

It was fixed but tweaking was not, it became a common way in american games to get the event pokemon illegally.

bewbs

~Chloe~
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Nov 20, 2022
    Maybe because loads of people hacked to get it and they decided not to bother with the event.

Years
    • Seen Jul 6, 2015
    it annoyed me too. it's much more fun having to (try to) catch it, not just get it straight off. although, free god pokémon, don't complain... :)

Back