• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Why Doesn't Ash Ever Use His Aura Abilities?

Years
    • Seen Mar 2, 2014
    I was just extremely curious about this since watching the movie Lucario and the Mystery of Mew, and it would've been useful in so many situations. For instance, in the second episode of pokemon X and Y, Garchomp goes on a rampage, blasting anything in its path with purple, yes purple, hyperbeams. Ash finnally gets close enough to speak to Garchomp, but Garchomp is panicking (i thiink i spelled that wrong, sorry) and doesnt listen. in the end, they find the source of Garchomps anguish, and free him from the collar, but if ash used his aura, this problem could've been solved much, much quicker. There are two possible ways to help Garchomp from a respectable and safe distance useing aura. 1. by telepathically telling Garchomp about the collar and telling him he was going to take it off, and 2.Using his arua ability to soothe garchomp temporarily to that further communication could be used.

Please offer your thought/opinions and if you are aware of any reason that Ash doesn't use his aura, please post it here

thank you

Wobbu

bunger bunger bunger bunger
    Years
  • I think this situation falls in with why Ash doesn't catch any legendary Pokémon. He would be OP if he could just simply communicate with Pokémon in a way that very few other Trainers can. Ash has used his aura in the regular anime, so we know it exists outside of the movie universe. To give an explanation on why he can't/doesn't use his aura ability, I'd say that the power only worked with Riolu/Lucario. I could be wrong, though.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
  • Going off what Wobbu said, he'd be hecka OP. Beyond that, I don't think he's actually had too much training with it to be able to apply it to Pokémon who have a lower Aura sensitivity. I mean, it's been drilled into us that Lucario and Riolu are Aura Pokémon who are highly attuned to Aura and there are people who train their whole lives to become Aura Guardians- and Ash doesn't train a Pokémon in that family and doesn't train his powers. He just has a natural sensitivity. But I don't think that's enough to utilize outside of special circumstances.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
  • Let's not talk that it works only with Riolu/Lucario (even though it does =D)

It was just writers' idea of making interesting movie and to make more use of it, they put up random special about it =)
    By now, we can pretty much presume that writers already forgot about it...
    And even if they were to bring it back. It would only work with Riolu/Lucario.

Years
    • Seen Nov 13, 2019
    I was just extremely curious about this since watching the movie Lucario and the Mystery of Mew, and it would've been useful in so many situations. For instance, in the second episode of pokemon X and Y, Garchomp goes on a rampage, blasting anything in its path with purple, yes purple, hyperbeams. Ash finnally gets close enough to speak to Garchomp, but Garchomp is panicking (i thiink i spelled that wrong, sorry) and doesnt listen. in the end, they find the source of Garchomps anguish, and free him from the collar, but if ash used his aura, this problem could've been solved much, much quicker. There are two possible ways to help Garchomp from a respectable and safe distance useing aura. 1. by telepathically telling Garchomp about the collar and telling him he was going to take it off, and 2.Using his arua ability to soothe garchomp temporarily to that further communication could be used.

Please offer your thought/opinions and if you are aware of any reason that Ash doesn't use his aura, please post it here

thank you

Because Ash telepathically telling Garchamp to calm down from safe distance would made the episode uninteresting & Boring .
    It was much better that Ash was risking his life and talk to that Garchamp face to face to calm him down .
    As for Aura ,
    Ash doesn't use Aura because he doesn't know how to use it !!
    If Ash catch a Lucario and stay close to him then it might awaken his Aura sense .
    Off course In upcoming XY movie , Ash might sense Xerneas & Yveltal due to their ability being ''Fairy Aura'' & ''Dark Aura'' .
    After all , ''Aura'' was use for the Marketing of Movie !
    Just imagine , How many people will be interested in upcoming XY Movie if they heard about Ash using Aura in the Movie ???
    And More People interested , The more they want to watch it ! The more people watch it , The more money the Anime will make.
    But Does Ash really has the ''Aura sense'' Or he just share same Aura as Sir Aaron ????

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
  • Usually the movies aren't canon with the anime, is my explanation. If it happened in the manga it's canon.
    ? What?
    Manga has nothing to do with Pokemon anime. We are not in non-Pokemon anime.

But Does Ash really has the ''Aura sense'' Or he just share same Aura as Sir Aaron ????
    He does. It has been proven in Riolu Ranger episode.

BrandoSheriff

Has a tendency to figure things out
    Years
  • I was just extremely curious about this since watching the movie Lucario and the Mystery of Mew, and it would've been useful in so many situations. For instance, in the second episode of pokemon X and Y, Garchomp goes on a rampage, blasting anything in its path with purple, yes purple, hyperbeams. Ash finnally gets close enough to speak to Garchomp, but Garchomp is panicking (i thiink i spelled that wrong, sorry) and doesnt listen. in the end, they find the source of Garchomps anguish, and free him from the collar, but if ash used his aura, this problem could've been solved much, much quicker. There are two possible ways to help Garchomp from a respectable and safe distance useing aura. 1. by telepathically telling Garchomp about the collar and telling him he was going to take it off, and 2.Using his arua ability to soothe garchomp temporarily to that further communication could be used.

thank you

My opinion is that if he did, it'd be too uninteresting, since we know he'll probably rely on it many times throughout the seasons.

And what's so weird about purple Hyper Beams? Hyper Beam's changed color constantly. I believe it actually is purple in X & Y. :P

Goombario64

Master of Galaxies
    Years
  • Riolu/Lucario seem to be the only way Ash can use Aura. That, or Sir Aaron's gloves. But with Mega Lucario in XY (which I think is in the promo poster), Ash just might use it again. As for why he doesn't use Aura, it's probably for the same reason others have said: it'd make things too easy, and he could never really do things the "Ash" way ever again -- risking his life for some Pokemon and somehow calming it down. Personally, I'd like to see more of Ash's Aura abilities. Maybe Ash could catch a Riolu/Lucario or something; this'd be the perfect opporunity for some character development, imo.

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Feb 19, 2017
    Riolu/Lucario seem to be the only way Ash can use Aura. That, or Sir Aaron's gloves. But with Mega Lucario in XY (which I think is in the promo poster), Ash just might use it again. As for why he doesn't use Aura, it's probably for the same reason others have said: it'd make things too easy, and he could never really do things the "Ash" way ever again -- risking his life for some Pokemon and somehow calming it down. Personally, I'd like to see more of Ash's Aura abilities. Maybe Ash could catch a Riolu/Lucario or something; this'd be the perfect opporunity for some character development, imo.

This would be an excellent introduction reintroduction of aura, I think people liked the idea. Ash doesn't use many fighting Pokemon as it is and a Riolu fits his typical use of smaller pokemon (at least initially).

Unless another Pokemon species who can 'use' aura appears as one of the unannounced legendaries or in future regions Ash probably won't be using it. As much as I would like him to, based on marketing logic I don't see Ash catching a Riolu - it's not one of the new Kalos Pokemon.

Edit: Except I totally forgot about Mega Evolutions...
    Spoiler:

Last edited:

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
  • This would be an excellent introduction reintroduction of aura, I think people liked the idea. Ash doesn't use many fighting Pokemon as it is and a Riolu fits his typical use of smaller pokemon (at least initially).

Unless another Pokemon species who can 'use' aura appears as one of the unannounced legendaries or in future regions Ash probably won't be using it. As much as I would like him to, based on marketing logic I don't see Ash catching a Riolu - it's not one of the new Kalos Pokemon.

Edit: Except I totally forgot about Mega Evolutions...
    Spoiler:
    It's pretty apparent that writers don't want to give Satoshi Riolu/Lucario... Most likely because he would become new iconic Pokemon (like Pikachu) and writers would have hard time removing him from the party after region arc would end... and making Satoshi hold 2 Pokemon is probably something writers don't want to do.
    Unless they replace Pikachu (which will never happen) unfortunately Riolu/Lucario won't have a space in Satoshi's party .(

Years
    • Seen Nov 13, 2019
    Nowhere is Anime Its said that Aura Guardian can calm down a rampaging Pokemon .
    Also if an Aura Guardian could calm a Pokemon then why an Aura Guardian sealed a Spiritomb.
    Its just our speculation.
    Just my its my speculation that Aura Guardian can fly by using a Special cape.
    Anyway ,
    May be , Game Freak might release a new game where An Aura Guardian save the world with his partner Pokemon.
    Then the Anime release a special episode focusing on Ash's aura abilty to advertise the Game .
    Actually In New series , Ash can appear as an Aura guardian who's already become a champion and now investigating something in New region While helping the new main Girl of The Game in collecting Gym badge .
    Let be honest , If Ash & Pikachu is too valuable to replace then Ash should new thing rather then repeating the same circle Over & Over & Over.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
  • Oh, I forgot about that. You're right about Aura not being able to be used to directly calm a Pokémon. But since it does have the ability to connect hearts and minds, I would say that it could help the user understand why a Pokémon is angry and help correct whatever happened. The Spiritomb case is different though iirc- Spirtitomb was sealed because it caused destruction and wreaked havoc for no particular reason. So it was basically a criminal that was sent to jail and just happened to be sealed by an Aura Guardian because how else you gonna do it?

Years
    • Seen Jul 18, 2018
    Okay, so I am a spiritual, emotional, and aura empath, so this subject is a bit special to me.

In XY (&Z) when Ash goes to the fairy gym there is a time when he sees the gym leader on stage, she starts glowing pink and he starts glowing the same shade of blue his aura is while the others around them fade to a dark purple(like what was done in the movie) making me believe he is using a bit of his aura powers. As well him and greninja being able to do that combined evolution points to him possibly use his aura to bond with him onto a physical level.

So my belief is that he still uses his aura abilities even if it's not that noticeable and he might not realize he is doing it.

Sloxy

Mon Amour
    Years
  • Ash learning how to control/use his aura would be great for a series. Just like in Kalos he had Ash-Greninja. It'd be really interesting to watch him on a journey learning more about it and eventually being able to control it, to be able to communicate with pokemon. I don't know how OP it would be, but it would be an interesting how should I say, plot? You know like starting off, blah blah, something happens, it triggers a little bit of his aura. He finds out about it, carries on to deepen and strengthen this power, and also catch an aura pokemon (Or hatch a riolu from an egg).

Imo, that we be more interesting than the school sh*t we have now.

Years
    • Seen Jan 24, 2019
    Since Ash is forever 10 years old, his powers probably aren't fully developed yet and never will be.

Quiji

Shining
    Years
    • Seen Apr 6, 2021
    Aura is a ridiculous concept that would make Ash more special than he already is. Frankly, he doesn't need more hype; he was already bordering on being an irritating snowflake in XYZ imo.

As for why Ash's aura hardly gets showcased these days, I guess it's because in those rare instances when aura is actually relevant there's always been a character involved who's overshadowed Ash.

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    Aura is a ridiculous concept that would make Ash more special than he already is. Frankly, he doesn't need more hype; he was already bordering on being an irritating snowflake in XYZ imo.

As for why Ash's aura hardly gets showcased these days, I guess it's because in those rare instances when aura is actually relevant there's always been a character involved who's overshadowed Ash.

Speaking as someone who literally is constantly irritated that the writers aren't even TRYING to get Ash to advance his goal of Pok?mon Master, let alone succeed in that goal, which, you know, completing said goal is the entire POINT of having it in the first place, I'd rather HAVE a "bordering on being an irritating snowflake" version of Ash if it at LEAST means he actually makes strides in his goal (and you have to give Ash credit in XYZ for one thing: At least he actually advanced in rank this time around, which is more than can be said for him during AG or BW, or especially SM where he barely even focuses on his goal at ALL thanks to Kikuki's announcement in "When Region's Collide!"). And if that requires him to have more focus on his Aura, so be it (besides, no point in even GIVING him the ability to use Aura if they don't even bother letting him use it most of the time).

Back