• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Why I think HG/SS won't meet it's expectations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Seen Sep 16, 2009
    Of course, when it doesn't, we'll simply lower them.

I don't think Nintendo gets the idea. Pokemon GS was so great because it was simple.

Think about it. Back to a time before Pokemon: Dash and all the spinoff BS. Before the Poketech, the PokeWalker, planting berries, all that crap. Pokemon GS was the best balance we've seen between lots of features and a good game. (It's excess features were, for the most part, USEFUL. The radio and making calls were part of the game. Now with the Poketech, you've got stuff like drawing. IF I WANTED TO DRAW I'D OPEN UP PICTOCHAT, I DIDN'T PAY $35 TO DRAW!) I'll admit pokemon following you is cool, but nintendo fails to realize that it's the simplicity we liked. With Diamond and Pearl, you had a long time before you were done with the tutorials. The DP tutorials were WAY to long, by the time I reach the third route I want the dumb game to leave me along about tutorials!

With the exception of your home, every feature had a reason. The touch screen in overkill in pokemon, it just raised the ability of developers to put stupid stuff into games.

Last edited:

SDODC13

Psychic Lover
    Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen Dec 10, 2023
    There is a complaints thread for this. None the less for me Idk that it was the simplicity but the features of the game itself.

Years
    • Seen Jul 28, 2009
    What I loved the most about G/S was the map design, and the many, many extra side-quests it offered. I don't really think it's really as simple as it is straightforward. Why, G/S had many hidden things in it, but when you have your starter at an over-leveled height, you wouldn't care.

I know that Natures and all that stuff seem to make it more complex, but in reality, it is designed simply to add depth to what set these games apart: Multiplayer. IV and EV existed back then, albeit a little differently, under the name of DV and Stat Exp

PokeMoon

Proud "Teh New Era" Member
    Years
    • Seen Jul 20, 2009
    Where to start, where to start...GOT IT!

R O F L M A O
    I think it's quite comical that you speak for us, by saying we.
    To be honest, I disagree. Pokemon Gold was the best pokemon game in my opinion, and I don't think heartgold is going to ruin it. It's going to have the same features as Pokemon Gold. Just because you don't wanna draw doesn't mean someone else doesn't want to draw. And seriously, take a chill pill. If you don't like it go play the old school game. I don't remember anything released about there being tutorials in HG/SS. Does anyone else?

On another note.
    -This is a complaint thread, this doesn't go here.
    -Research discussion before you post in a discussion thread.
    -Go start a blog so you can blog about how much you hate Pokemon.

Kthxbai,
    PM

Years
    • Seen Mar 23, 2011
    I agree with you, Nintendo is over crap-ifying it with all this nonsense since the 3rd gen. Everything after 2nd gen is a pile of mushy, wet, sticky puddle of chimpanzee diarrhea.

PokeMoon

Proud "Teh New Era" Member
    Years
    • Seen Jul 20, 2009
    I agree with you, Nintendo is over crap-ifying it with all this nonsense since the 3rd gen. Everything after 2nd gen is a pile of mushy, wet, sticky puddle of chimpanzee diarrhea.

That was disgusting.
    You don't have to use all the futures, it's just an option.
    You silly elementary students [:

POKéMIKE1

AKA meejle
    Years
  • I don't think it was the simplicity that made GSC great, I think it was the great storyline and great region.

I'm playing Crystal now (to remind myself of Generation II before the new games are released) and I've found myself missing a lot of the newer features.

Years
    • Seen Oct 27, 2010
    So you're saying that abilities, natures, a balanced EV/IV system, cries that don't destroy your eardrums, full color, tutorials for newbies, being able to know how many steps you've taken, chaining for otherwise near-impossible to get shinies, a wide variety of useful berry items and use of the new technology is all useless crap and that we should go back to the 8-bit days?

Looks like somebody's afraid of change. :)
    While I'll agree that the tutorials are a little oddly placed, a lot of people buying the games are new to Pokemon and don't know what they're doing. And what you find useless other people might find interesting or useful. Don't speak for all of us when you criticize something you don't like.

Reactions: Red

Ayselipera

I don't see how changing a few things will ruin it. Plus the poketech is pretty optional you don't have to even touch it if you don't want to. It pretty much just sits there at the botton of the screen anyways. Same as the berries and pokewalker. You don't ever have to use those things if you don't want to.

Years
    • Seen Sep 16, 2009
    I don't see how changing a few things will ruin it. Plus the poketech is pretty optional you don't have to even touch it if you don't want to. It pretty much just sits there at the botton of the screen anyways. Same as the berries and pokewalker. You don't ever have to use those things if you don't want to.

Yeah... it just annoys me how big and weird the DS is.

Last edited:

billi1000

The Ruler of Darkness - Zekrom
    Years
    • Seen May 22, 2014
    how simple do u think gold is, it had many more features and introduced many new concepts than any pokemon game released before it like the apricorns, shiny pokemon, 2 regions in 1 game (i dont know how u call that simple), radio, bag with devided sections.......... damn it crystal even introduced the idea of the battle tower, so man, u cant call that simple at all, not a chance it hell, and adding more features will make it even better, i m sure that the way most people see it, if u want my oppinion, it is the exact opposite of yours, gold and silver were the best pokemon games because they were rich in new features and really got the best out of the game...

Poliwagged

is waggin' his tail
    Years
    • Seen May 12, 2012
    Stop living in 1999.

I like how you're bringing up the Poketch in a game that it ISN'T IN LOL.

I guarantee you that if they just re-released G/S with the same old/same old, you little pricks would be complaining "BAWW IT'S THE SAME" "BAW IT'S BORING"
    You can never please a child, it's so true now.

Years
  • I'm glad their remaking this game because i miss all of the pokemon from this game. I don't care how simple it is I love pokemon games and I'm going to play them either way.

Zero°

Mirai Nikki
    Years
  • I agree, Nintendo is working WAY to hard on this game, trying to make it perfect, when it's not needed. The reason people, IMO, like GSC so much, is because they were the only games that never had a re-make until now. When HG/SS comes out, people will stop playing GSC, and it will die out, like the rest of the originals.

ReyRey-Pyon

THREAD KILLER
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Feb 6, 2015
    Someone forgot to take off their nostalgia goggles today 8O /waggles finger
    the Poketch lulz
    I love how you bring up something thats not even part of this game
    But it has many uses, for example, The Pokeradar app.

Too many tutorials? Get used to it, you aren't the only fan playing the game, there are new fans who don't know how to play, and the tutorials are actually helpful to them

Yes, Every feature had a reason, and every feature still does have a feature he reason was to make it new and attract more customers
    Just like now, the new features are to make it feel like a new game and attract customers
    Each new game is gonna have new features, so itwon't feel like we're just playing R/B/G/Y all over again with a different map, I'm not wasting 35$ on a game I already own.

GunSaberSeraph

Durandal of the Devic Era
    Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2016
    I agree, Nintendo is working WAY to hard on this game, trying to make it perfect, when it's not needed. The reason people, IMO, like GSC so much, is because they were the only games that never had a re-make until now. When HG/SS comes out, people will stop playing GSC, and it will die out, like the rest of the originals.

Most G/S/C carts won't work anymore due to the internal batteries burning out. So regardless of HGSS, the Gen 2 games would die out anyways.

I for one am glad that Nintendo has decided to put such great effort into these games. Although these are remakes, adding the new features will help make gameplay seem a lot more fresh, so enjoyment won't be entirely based upon nostalgia.

For example, the new gym layouts may seem like Nintendo is trying to ruin G/S/C, but in reality, nearly all of the Johto gym "puzzles" were just, "Walk around the gym to win". (The Kanto layouts were worse.) But look, at the new Azalea gym design:

https://www.serebii.net/heartgoldsoulsilver/azaleagym.png

Now it seems like Gamefreak is adding an actual challenge to it. There's nothing wrong with fixing flaws in a remake. That's what they're supposed to do. Being more than a glossed up port would actually surpass expectations.

Reactions: Red

Argent Crusader

Isn't Falstad dead?
    Years
  • There is a complaints thread for this. None the less for me Idk that it was the simplicity but the features of the game itself.

I'd just like to point this out. There's only ONE complaint thread, but multiple "good stuff" threads.
    You can try harder, can't you?
    Why we can open topics to say OMG THIS GAMEZ GREATZ! @_@, but we can open ones to do constructive critic or any opinion that isn't a "good one".
    I'd like to ask you people stop trying to everyone like what Nintendo offers at a 100%.
    This thread is pointing to the simplicity vs. fancy features wich seems like a valid point of discussion for me, not just a simple complain.

And I personally don't like this PokéWalker and Pokéthlon stuff. What's Pokémon now? Wario?
    Gosh, I'd like to they focus on THE REAL GAME once in a while instead of just adding mini-games (wich aren't really useful in the normal gameplay btw).
    Your Pokémon don't get any HP/A/SA/D/SD/SP stats from running those games. Yes, they may be fun for some people, but they just add that, and... the game?
    Just look at Blizzard for example, they constantly modify the spells in World of Warcraft to the classes reach balance, while Nintendo rarely touches any Pokémon move or buff any Pokémon's stats to make it well balanced with the other creatures.
    And what about the history? It's really simple nowadays. We don't really get so many explanations of anything. The manga is the only thing we can hope bring us some nice history. They're just producing this games in mass, one after another, without looking really much into the concept.
    After all, fans would buy anything with the brand, regardless of how bad could that thing be.
    GSC used to be good games, when Pokémon was all about Pokémon. HG/SS aren't wrong, Pokémon itself is...

Kerjo

Dark/Ground Gym Leader
    Years
  • Well if you just want the story and everything from the originals, just play through the game and leave the extra added features alone. I mean, they aren't mandatory, but many people like them and it gives us players something else to do when the main storyline is over and it's fun. That and it'll stop some people from just rushing through the game in like a day or two.

And in response to the multiple goods threads, they each are threads about confirmed features and makes it easier for people to talk about them. The complaints thread is mainly for things like this, because it's something a person or a small group of people don't like or don't want in the game (the 'What Do You NOT Want to See In HG/SS' is still up and running). =D

Argent Crusader

Isn't Falstad dead?
    Years
  • Well if you just want the story and everything from the originals, just play through the game and leave the extra added features alone. I mean, they aren't mandatory, but many people like them and it gives us players something else to do when the main storyline is over and it's fun. That and it'll stop some people from just rushing through the game in like a day or two.

And in response to the multiple goods threads, they each are threads about confirmed features and makes it easier for people to talk about them. The complaints thread is mainly for things like this, because it's something a person or a small group of people don't like or don't want in the game (the 'What Do You NOT Want to See In HG/SS' is still up and running). =D

Hmm, about the first paragraph, you are right. No one is forced to do contests and stuff like that, but they need to improve the "normal" gameplay also, not just keep adding other stuff just to have "new content".

This thread is also about confirmed features. The only difference is that we are saying that these confirmed features aren't just as much awesome as most people here think, which is fine, we are in a discussion forum anyways :)

Continuing with the main theme:
    The simplicity isn't really a must. It feels like it should be simple because the new features are just an excuse for the lack of improvement in the normal gameplay.

I'm ok with all the new things, like this Pokéwalker and Pokéthlon as long as they add new features in the normal gameplay, useful things for battles, story improvement, and whatnot. The thing is that they don't :(

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back