• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Why is the name "Violet" Inappropriate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Indigo

The Novelist from Panju
Years
    • Seen Nov 7, 2019
    So when I decided to start a New Game in Pokemon Y, I chose to be a girl. When it asked me to enter my name, I did, which I entered my go to girl name, Violet. Apparently I can't enter that word. So I chose Viola. Still can't enter that. So I looked it up and apparently Vio, means to rape or violate in french. DX so i had to choose another name. Does anyone know why Violet or Viola isn't allowed?

Years
    • Seen Feb 8, 2015
    You're gonna be mad when you encounter the first gym leader, her name is Viola.

I mean, seriously? If you're gonna restrict the players when it comes to naming characters and Pokemon then at least the damn NPCs should also abide.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • It seems you answered your own question.
    This. Also in Spanish 'Viola' means 'to rape'. I do wonder why they would name a gym leader that but not let us name our character or Pokemon that...
    Edit: According to Bulbapedia her in Spanish and French names are forms of the name Violet. So I guess them not letting us call our character of Pokemon that is to not offend Spanish and French speakers who would know that name as a word that means something bad. Funny though that some spanish speakers call their kids Viola though, so it's not always seen as the bad word.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    Does anyone know why Violet or Viola isn't allowed?

So I looked it up and apparently Vio, means to rape or violate in french.

You...answered your own question. Vio is French for rape, and since X/Y has the whole international thing going, they can't let people name their characters things that have words in them like that, even if its just part of the name. Imagine if someone named one of their Pokemon Vio, and then traded it to a French person. I think that the French person would be a bit upset.

It's just a "better safe than sorry" approach, what with people's delicate sensibilities these days. It's too bad that you can't use your go-to name though.

Also, we have a thread here for questions like these: https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?p=8025670
    So please post your questions in there next time.

And since the question has been sufficiently answered, I'll just go and lock this.

Locked.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back