• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Why is this gen so underrated?

Years
  • Lots of unevolved Pokemon that had so much potential... like...Roselia got better in Sinnoh...Nosepass evolved...and Milotic was sooo hard to get. Also, the time stops, and you can't get the Shoal items with the tides there going up and down. Day and night was also missing appearance wise...they also didn't use the rocket in Mossdeep City.... and Deoxys and Jirachi required Events.

Years
    • Seen Jun 25, 2013
    The only reason I can think of to dislike Generation III is that when R/S/E came out, there was no way to catch most Pokémon from the previous generations, and you could not trade your old Pokémon into the new games to make up for it (as you could when Genration II debuted).

However, thanks to the existance of FR/LG, I don't see any reason to diss Generation III anymore.

It had a fantastic setting, an actual plot (gasp!) and a lot of interesting new gameplay mechanics.

Years
  • I don't understand all the hate going around for Gen III. You will probably say "Oh, it's not hate, I just don't like that this and that and the other thing....etc" But it's hate lol.

I personally love this gen, and think that the only game(s) that are better are HeartGold and SoulSilver. I'm a veteran pokeemanz player from Gen 1. I absolutely loved the first two generations. I still have all of my cartridges from them. Being a nostalgia noob, I would say that Gen 1 is best.

But gameplay mechanic-wise and having fun-wise(which is all we SHOULD care about) Gen III is the best to me. Sapphire is the only game I played to the point where the battery died inside the game. I went through the Elite Four so many times I lost count. I loved that game so much. As soon as my tri-wing screwdrivers come in from eBay, I'm changing the battery and doing it all over again. I loved most of the pokemon in R/S/E.

Raichupacabra

Villain
    Years
  • 2003:
    OMG Pokemon is so dumb now hav u seen the designs???

Now:
    we needs a Ruby nd Safire remake now!!!111oneoneone

All jokes put aside, the hate may be due to no way to trade between Gen II and Gen III. So you had to start from anew. That Level 100 team you used to defeat the champion in RBY, transferred to GSC, and defeated Red with - now it's left to rot in your games.

Years
    • Seen May 2, 2012
    I may be biased--I grew up loving pokemon, but watching my friends play it over their shoulders--Sapphire was the first generation I played on a game. However, I had been (am) an avid fan of the cards, so maybe not. I can sympathize with those that didn't like it because of the very different character designs, but they ended up being my favorites once I got used to them (Milotic, Gardevoir, Masquerain, and Tropius anyone?).
    I also loved the new box system, party system, etc. I find it hard to play the old games now because they aren't as easy. I think it was the beginning of the years when although pokemon would be revolutionized, it would become much more accessible.
    I don't like the new character designs, but I think that the franchise is moving forwards, becoming easier to get into overall.

gunnerpow7

☆ キレイハナ Kireihana ☆
    Years
  • Well, Gen III was underrated at first because they loved R/B/G/Y/G/S/C better than R/S/E. That's why FR/LG was born. That's why FR/LG was Player's choice in GBA. I think 40% of the original players even tried R/S and the other 60% didn't. Now, B/W did the exact same thing what R/S did, a reboot of the series, and they loved it. And now, mostly everyone in PC is begging for an R/S remake. I grew up with R/S. Sapphire was the first Pokemon game I've ever played. I never bothered to play R/B/G/Y/G/S. The only game I've ever played in Gen I or II is Crystal. I love Gen III than any other Gen. IMO though.... =/

Years
  • Back then, it was going in too new of a direction and people didn't want to see it change. So, it was underrated back then. Now everyone wants a remake of it. Even me. I wouldn't call it overrated now, though. If anything, it's getting the recognition it deserves.

HoodieDoodie

The Electric Soldier
    Years
  • Its just a matter of personal preference. Gameplay wise, Gen III games are my favourite. Pokemon wise, Gen I is my favourite. Features wise, Gen IV is my favourite.
    Having not played any of the GB/GBA games before discovering emulators, I haven't really had the full experience. But I find it hard to believe that the third gen games are GBA games, since the graphics and gameplay are stunning for what technology we had in those days.
    I do wish I had a copy of either ruby or sapphire for my gameboy, as I dislike an incredible majority of the Sinnoh pokemon. If there was no Sinnoh, and the pokemon from Gen I, II and III were readily available for capture before the E4in a DS game, pokemon would be epic.
    Gen I was the gen that started the entire pokemon business, so it bound to leave an imprint on people's hearts, and if there was no gen I, well, there would be no gen II either.

PaxAmericana

Resident Peacekeeper
    Years
  • Pokemon R/S/E/FR/LG are awesome. The graphics bump from 2nd Gen was awesome. They are amazing compared to the 2nd Gen. People don't know great games when they see one. I need to buy R/S/LG, but GameStops near me don't sell them anymore in the used box.

Pieman50

Pokemon Maniac
    Years
  • From what I understand, everyone hates Gen. 3 because it wasn't like Gen. 2

Everyone kept complaining that it wasn't like Gen. 2 where you could visit two different regions, and therefore less people played it.

When you look at it from perspective, the Hoenn region is larger than the Kanto AND Johto COMBINED. No one seems to realize that though

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2012
    I stopped playing Pokemon games after the Gen III and that was actually my favorite. Also I was in that stage of "growing up" and that's when I got interested in other things. But recently I've gotten back into Pokemon, sure miss playing these Pokemon games. Although games like Call of Duty, Halo and Battlefield and great and they sure as hell can't get nowhere as fun as Pokemon games. I seen the Generations after III and they really looked messed up I rather stay stuck playing anything before III but I'll give it a try and see how fun these new Gens are.

Years
  • oh my beloved III gen (specially the hoenn games). Well as many have said before the fact that 3 gen games weren't compatible with GB color made a lot of people to stop playing and many others well, they just disliked it because of the new pokemos or the music or whatever reason they found to hate them, you know, haters gonna hate.

Zapperz

colour swapper!
    Years
    • Seen Oct 18, 2023
    i loved the gen 3. I grew up playing it and I enjoyed every bit of it.. until someone deleted my precious 4year file :{

regardless, i think gen 3 is underrated cause it didnt have much events like the gen2, and FR/LG is almost similar to gen 1

Alexander Nicholi

what do you know about computing?
    Years
  • Overrated IMO. Just look at the number of members who are clamoring for a R/S remake despite the region's obvious design flaws. Tree houses do not make a city. Rapid currents that force you to retake the same water route multiple times are clearly put in there for annoyance. And none of the characters are memorable.

So you're saying that remake hype classifies a game as being overrated? *Glances at FR/LG*…
    I'm not going to bother with the other remarks -_-.

IMO the highlight of 3rd gen was the introduction of my fave girl character, and that was only accomplished in the 1st gen remake games. To this day, Leaf Green is the only 3rd gen game (aside from the Colo/XD spinoffs) that I still play.

I will concede that Metagorss, Flygon, and Walrein were pretty awesome Pokemon, but the rest of the 3rd gen Pokemon were also fairly forgettable.

I'm pondering that you haven't given Ruby or Sapphire a genuine fighting chance as Game Freak's very first main series reboot…

Underrated? Generation III? Don't make me laugh. It's totally unfairly the most overhyped generation there is. It may've been underrated like six years ago but not anymore.

I dislike it the most, which doesn't mean it's bad at all. But IT'S SO HYPED that pisses me off.
    Tell me, what is there for you to solidly dislike if it is not a bad game at all in your opinion?

I think I'm the biggest third-generation fan you can find. I adore Generation III games (including the Red and Green remakes), the Advanced Generation anime, the Hoenn region as a whole, and back before I left the 'shipping boat you'd be hard-pressed to find a bigger AaMayL supporter. Call me an enemy of everything First Generation, lol.

Last edited:

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • I feel like gen 3 was overrated, if anything. I like it because it brought new battle mechanics to the scene (abilities, natures, etc.) but I will always have a deep-set dislike for the gen because it very nearly made me drop the Pokemon series for good. :x It always baffles me when so many people go on about how much they want a remake of RSE because the games were so good when I didn't really enjoy them at all.

I disliked a lot of the Pokemon designs, initially. They were very different because, iirc, Gen I and Gen II was sort of made in tandem with each other so the designs flowed very well between them. But in Gen III, the designs started getting more complex. Now, this isn't a bad thing--I actually love a lot of Gen III Pokemon nowadays--but back when I played it, I just wasn't very impressed with a lot of Pokemon. I also didn't like any of the character designs so that didn't help either. XD;

I hated Hoenn. I still hate Hoenn. It's filled with caves and mountains which I dislike at the best of times but surfing is my least favourite thing ever and pretty much all of Hoenn is water routes. Or it sure feels like it, anyway. D: Diving was annoying too and I agree with the people who mention that the currents just made it annoying to collect everything and battle everyone. I don't like having to go through routes a lot and that was pretty common in this game. (Even jumping down ledges made you go back a lot in this game to get everything.) I didn't feel like the route designs were very good and I also didn't like any of the cities or dungeons, haha.

I also didn't like FRLG at all, which I associate with Gen 3 as much as I associate them with Gen 1. :/ I was excited for them because of the nostalgia, but when I actually played them, I found I didn't really enjoy them and I'm not even sure I finished them last time I tried to play. Overall, the GBA entries in the Pokemon series didn't work well for me. If I hadn't been a member of PC from before they were released and felt obliged to stay in the fandom to stay here, I would've dropped the games after playing Ruby and FireRed. I'm glad I didn't because Gen 4 went on to become my favourite but I just... never got into Gen 3.

Vasquez

Hacker and LPer
    Years
  • I think this is just a mix of mostly forgettable Pokemon coupled with bad region design. I mean, for starters, there is no need to have so much surf in one game. There isn't. Hoe had WAY too much water for it's own good. I mean, that would be well and all, if it weren't for the fact that Pokemon selection was SEVERELY limited in water routes (As in all Pokemon games). Had they added more diversity to the massive amounts of surfing involved, the it may have gone over better to gamers who thought that there was too much of it (Like I did). Secondly, this game REALLY dropped the ball when it came to Pokemon from other Generations. They were almost non-existent, and that's a shame. True, they did have trading between FR and R/S/E, but both games had a distinct lack of Gen II Pokemon (Which may have caused discomfort among gamers who liked the mix G/S/C had w/ Gen I and Gen II.) Basically, the diversity just wasn't there. Most of the region was water and yet had bad water Pokemon selection, and the games strayed away too far from their prequels, causing some gamers to not like them as much as their more well-integrated prequels.

Back