• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Why isn't Charizard Fire/dragon type

Status
Not open for further replies.

poopydude

PKMN Master
Years
  • I have always wondered this. since charizard actually IS A DRAGON. you would think that he would be made as part dragon type. can anyone think of a reason that he is not fire/dragon?

Vyro

Master Douchelord
    Years
    • Seen Jun 8, 2014
    The generally accepted reason is because Nintendo didn't want to just GIVE you a strong dragon type pokemon.

ShreyasPokemon

wants battles only...
    Years
  • Game Freak does not want to give you a beast at the beginning of the game!! I can also ask why Gyarados is not Water/Dragon. Many questiong are like this. Why isn't flygon Dragon/Bug? Well... I dont know....

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
  • Rumor is that Charizard and Gyarados and possibly even Aerodactyl were planned to be dragon types, but a couple weeks before the release of Red/Green, some bigwig at Nintendo wanted to keep the dragon-type exclusive to the Dragonite family.

...like I said though...just a rumor...take it with a grain of salt. :P

The Original Darkwiz787

Stuck with text below my name.
    Years
    • Seen Jun 24, 2014
    Pokemon aren't just typed for how they look, but also for balance. Does Game Freak really want EVERYONE picking Charizard? I think not.

Hantsuki

a little wolf inside a girl
    Years
  • Because making Charizard Fire/Flying was a good idea at the time, but really, I don't know. Like some others mentioned, it's an evolution of a starter, and Dragon types have lots of resistances, so it wouldn't be very fair. Bad enough Blastoise is the only evolutionary starter that doesn't have two types.

What bothers me more is Gyarados being Water/Flying. It really should be Water/Dragon. I mean, I don't remember any scenes in the anime where Gyarados was "flying" above water or anything, so that's kind of silly.

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
  • Actually, Gyarados's water/flying typing makes perfect sense if you know about the mythical creature it and magikarp are based on. :P

Hantsuki

a little wolf inside a girl
    Years
  • Actually, Gyarados's water/flying typing makes perfect sense if you know about the mythical creature it and magikarp are based on. :P
    You do have a point there, but a lot of the children who play the games aren't going to be aware of that. They'll just be happy when their Pikachu beats Lance's Gyarados. : P

NickofTime

Dancin' like a dragon
    Years
  • yeah its kinda wierd i mean i shuddered when i saw flygon as a ground dragon but it had wings 0.0 Plus flygon has the ability levitate which is wierd because IT HAS WINGS

loliwin

→ Level 69
    Years
  • Maybe because:
    1. Charizard has wings. lol
    2. Charizard learns a lot of fire moves, he even has fire on his tail and is red coloured, which is liek fire. xD
    3. Charizard reminds me of a lizard. It it was a Dragon type, it couldve been named Charagon or something.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years

• What bothers me more is Gyarados being Water/Flying. It really should be Water/Dragon. I mean, I don't remember any scenes in the anime where Gyarados was "flying" above water or anything, so that's kind of silly.
    Because... it practically wouldn't have had weakness?
    Since only dragon move in gen I was Dragon Rage if I remember correctly.

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
  • Because, sometimes, there needs to be something called "balance" in a game.

If Gyarados was Water/Dragon, it would be the strongest Pokémon in existance, full stop.

Yusshin

♪ Yggdrasil ♪
    Years
  • What bothers me more is Gyarados being Water/Flying. It really should be Water/Dragon. I mean, I don't remember any scenes in the anime where Gyarados was "flying" above water or anything, so that's kind of silly.

I saw Gyarados flying in Pokemon: The First Movie :< So..

Years
    • Seen Feb 12, 2022
    Because, sometimes, there needs to be something called "balance" in a game.

If Gyarados was Water/Dragon, it would be the strongest Pokémon in existance, full stop.

What about Kingdra? (granted it wasn't introduced until generation 2)

It's Water/Dragon.

Years
    • Seen Nov 24, 2010
    but kingdra has a pathetic base attack compared to Gyarados

but it has a higher base special attack anyways so kingdra is better than gyarados - faster too i think, idk

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back