• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Why so weak?

4th Gen Matt

Pokemon Onyx Creator
    Years
    I was just browsing Smogon and decided to check out Luvdisc's pokedex page. It was hilarious how the author was so sarcastic about Luvdisc's stats. Check this quote out:

"Watch Luvdisc stall out his opponents with his amazing total of defenses not even topping 170. Confusion and Attraction together equals a 25% chance your opponent has to wait one more turn before Luvdisc is turned into a pile of heart juice, Protect is another turn, which means that Toxic might inflict a little damage in the meantime. If you're lucky. Aqua Ring can be used on this set. Just kidding, of course."

Lol. But it really got me thinking about the way Nintendo makes pokemon. Why do they make some pokemon so uber and strong and then some have horrible stats and no evos?

It just seems weird.

I think every pokemon should have 2 evolutions, except those that are powerful enough as they are. Such as Mewtwo and Heracross.

Opinions?

Haza

☆A Life of Pokémon and Beyoncé ☆
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    Luvdisc is a great cute contest pokemon, not a battler.

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023
    Easy, they are just filler pokemon that are supposed to be loved by the audience.
    Luvdisc, carnivine, and many other pokemon are incredibly weak, but are supposed to be loved by the customers*points at mew*.
    but also, don't forget that there are many other pokemon with evolutions but are still really weak*points at beedrill*.
    most of the non evos have little upsides to them, for heracross,pinsir and absol, they have great attack.
    Sableye has no weaknesses to it, and an interesting sprite.
    however, some pokemon like luvdisc are just used to make the 'dex bigger, win at contests, and not much else.

4th Gen Matt

Pokemon Onyx Creator
    Years
    Luvdisc is a great cute contest pokemon, not a battler.

Of course it is not a battler, you can tell from its stats, lol.

But I think every pokemon should have potential to battle.

Which Luvdisc and other NU pokemon don't.

Heck, Luvdisc is even weak for NU, it should get its own tier. =/

Plus fire, I do not understand why they would want to make the dex bigger. 90% of pokemon fans hate how many pokemon there are.

Plus, Mew owns. It is strong and loved by the audience. That is why it is my favorite pokemon.

Haza

Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    Hey, I do think they should ive it a evolution but I have always loved it the way in is(in contests)

Haza

Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    Thanks( they are my babies!)

That would be funny but there are other pokemon they really put down like Phione and Dunsparce.

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023
    Of course it is not a battler, you can tell from its stats, lol.

But I think every pokemon should have potential to battle.

Which Luvdisc and other NU pokemon don't.

Heck, Luvdisc is even weak for NU, it should get its own tier. =/

Plus fire, I do not understand why they would want to make the dex bigger. 90% of pokemon fans hate how many pokemon there are.

Plus, Mew owns. It is strong and loved by the audience. That is why it is my favorite pokemon.

Yes, but they are the new pokemon.
    the old pokemon were loved, but they still had there fakes.
    and if they hate how much pokemon there are, then they aren't real fans.
    the point of "catch 'em all" is to catch them all, not to complain and whine about how much pokemon there are.
    and i feel it is just loved because of its looks and ability to learn any TM, thats all.
    every pokemon has the potential to battle, but most don't make it because of low stats or bad movepools.

Hiidoran

[B]ohey[/B]
    Years
    Filler Pokémon such as Luvdisc and Ditto are used for other purposes in game other than battling. Sure, Ditto was originally made to be a comical battling companian back in the days of Red and Blue, however; its purpose soon changed to become the ultimate tool for quickly breeding a Pokémon. Luvdisc was given a role much the same way; it was created for contests. I mean, if we think about this outside of a video game, a heart-shaped Pokémon would be completely adorable! Most people would love it, there in lies the answer for Luvdisc's existance. One can battle with it if they please, I suppose, but there's a reason it's on the UN list. ^.^

Plus, some Pokémon are simply made just for the sake of making the Pokémon world larger. Think about it, is every animal in the world suited to be the best in a head-to-head match-up? I think not.
    However, do they serve other purposes? I think so.
    It's Gamefreak's way of making Pokémon more realistic in my opinion.
    (Plus, they want to make it pretty darn annoying to get that complete Pokédex!)

PorygonSquared

He's Supposed To Be Dead!!!
    Years
    Thanks( they are my babies!)

That would be funny but there are other pokemon they really put down like Phione and Dunsparce.

I'm not much of a Dunsparce fan either, but it does have a fanbase due to being the original Serene Grace abuser.

I like to try as many Pokemon as possible in battle that I find interesting, especially some BL's and UU's even in OU for more unique playstyles that can screw over standards unprepared for such, but it is disappointing that there are Pokemon like Luvdisc, Pachirisu, and Farfetch'd that have barely any potential, if any at all. I suspect that especially in Farfetch'd's case, they just simply forgot about them (and seeing how Farfetch'd never reached the infamy and evolution demand of Luvdisc, the fanbase probably did too; though it should get an evolution after suffering four generations of such pathetic stats). Consider especially that they have 493 species to work with, so they probably can't brainstorm interesting concepts for all the weak ones.

Haza

Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    I'm not much of a Dunsparce fan either, but it does have a fanbase due to being the original Serene Grace abuser.

I like to try as many Pokemon as possible in battle that I find interesting, especially some BL's and UU's even in OU for more unique playstyles that can screw over standards unprepared for such, but it is disappointing that there are Pokemon like Luvdisc, Pachirisu, and Farfetch'd that have barely any potential, if any at all. I suspect that especially in Farfetch'd's case, they just simply forgot about them (and seeing how Farfetch'd never reached the infamy and evolution demand of Luvdisc, the fanbase probably did too; though it should get an evolution after suffering four generations of such pathetic stats). Consider especially that they have 493 species to work with, so they probably can't brainstorm interesting concepts for all the weak ones.

I am exactly the same way when battling and the weakest pokemon I actually use is a SuperFang Pachi

4th Gen Matt

Pokemon Onyx Creator
    Years

Its weird because in Farfetch'd's first anime appearance he was extremely strong. I am pretty sure he battled and beat some of Misty's pokemon.

But then they give him rubbish stats in the games?

I have a question. If they base all of the pokemon off an animal species, then what is Luvdisc supposed to be?

Or are some just random things that the artists came up with after a long night of drinking? (and something else.)

YOOM-TAH

Piplup Fanatic
    Years
    Not all of the pokemon are based on actual animals. Seriously, think about that for a second. Grimer, Muk, the Regis, Dialga and Palkia, Tangela, etc. etc. etc. In fact, I'd go out on a limb and say at LEAST half of them are not based on actual animals.

Suzume

Fire Fist
    Years
    I've actually always kinda liked Luvdisc, but just because it's design. The design is simple and cute, and a heart-shaped pokemon is pretty fun idea. But I also like the fact that there are both strong and weak pokemon, but still all of them have some kind of purpose. If the pokemon is rare, even though I would never use it in a battle, I really enjoy encountering and catching it. So I also like that some pokemon are really rare, some are extremely common. The variety makes the world of pokemon so interesting! :3

4th Gen Matt

Pokemon Onyx Creator
    Years
    I'm gonna to right to the Nintendo employees and tell them to make an evo of Luvdisc called LuvOMGsopwnage (awesome I know) with 120 base in each stat.

Noone will make fun of it then.

70th post!

30 from 100~

PorygonSquared

He's Supposed To Be Dead!!!
    Years
    I've actually always kinda liked Luvdisc, but just because it's design. The design is simple and cute, and a heart-shaped pokemon is pretty fun idea. But I also like the fact that there are both strong and weak pokemon, but still all of them have some kind of purpose. If the pokemon is rare, even though I would never use it in a battle, I really enjoy encountering and catching it. So I also like that some pokemon are really rare, some are extremely common. The variety makes the world of pokemon so interesting! :3

Too bad they mitigated the one reason for Luvdisc's practical existence in-game by adding Heart Scales to the underground.

Years
    • Seen May 31, 2009
    Use Luvdisc in the rain. OHKO Heatrans = Win

Years
    • Seen Feb 26, 2009
    Weak ones may have some potential to just be used in-game...as a just-for-fun addition to your team. Battling real people, not so much. But I've used weak ones in game, just to have fun with them. And I like a lot of the weaker ones, just cause they're fun and/or cute.

I have a question. If they base all of the pokemon off an animal species, then what is Luvdisc supposed to be?

Or are some just random things that the artists came up with after a long night of drinking? (and something else.)

Actually...from Bulbapedia:

Luvdisc is based on the discus fish and certain other species of fish that appear to kiss each other (such as the kissing gourami).

But I agree many Pokemon don't resemble any real animals at all.

Last edited:
    Back