• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Will remakes continue? And will you continue to buy them?

Years
  • Wasn't the reason that remakes were made because the internal battery in R/B/G and G/S/C would run out eventually?
    They would have you believe this because it makes them look really great in the eyes of the fans. However, they would never do anything just cause. Simply remaking these games because an internal battery issue would never happen; this could cause a potential loss. It's about money, and if the money is there they will do it.

They have research and development teams that patrol the web so to speak. Searching for what's going on and being talked about. If we create enough buzz about something and they find it worthwhile they may just do it; assuming its within legal terms.

Years
  • I think they will do remakes of gen III games, because gen III don't have any DS games. I do also think that they will not do remakes on gen IV, at least not until DS and 3DS is relpaced with a new handheld game system from Nintendo.

Years
    • Seen Jun 24, 2012
    I would count on there being gen III remakes. If there is a generation VI, I would doubt that there would be a remake for Diamond and Pearl. They would look cool on the 3ds or Wii U, however.

MiTjA

Poké-atheist
    Years
  • No. The remake game is over.
    They aren't idiots and know it.
    Simple plain copy paste remakes will not do the job after HGSS.

Of course there will always be more visits to the good old regions, but they will have to figure out something more interesting than just releasing the same game again.

With BW having sequels in BW2, its not at all a stretch anymore (as it was when Ive been contemplating the idea numerous times in the past but didnt know if it would ever occur to them), that they could do NEW games in OLD regions instead of bland remakes that will make more and more people annoyed and sales of such games never again even remotely resembling HGSS in numbers.

I am confident we shall see Hoenn soon, but for all that is holy, if its gonna be through remakes, Gamefreak will lose a lot of respect from my side. And make less money than previous remakes.
    RS in particular will be ESPECIALLY pointless once they start releasing GBA games through the e-shop for 3DS.

My theory, or rather what I would do in their place is, introduce MID-generations.
    That is, smaller generations (think ~50 pokemon), appearing between proper ones, which revolve around revisiting a classic generation in a later time.
    With many changes and additions, but plenty of nostalgia at the same time, through old characters, their relatives, the old hero, while adding fresh stuff, spicing up some of the native pokemon (evos and alt-evos)... you get the idea.

That would be amazing, satisfy everyone, and disappoint no one (except for people who dont like new evolutions).

This would work for any generation as it could freely add new things, while exploring anything left untold.

In short:
    Screw remakes, Sequels are the way to go.

I'm not sure about gens 4 and 5 remakes. First thing is that storylines of D/P and Platinum can't mix with each other. Second thing is - does Sinnoh have anything that was clearly missing? I mean, Kanto was lacking of post-game areas - they were added in FR/LG. Johto was lacking of Safari Zone - it was added in HG/SS. Hoenn has great potential of having more post-game islands, more inventions developed in Devon, showing rocket launching in Space Center, having Jirachi event and possibly Deoxys event in Meteor Falls. Does Sinnoh have anything that is asking to be added? Sinnoh seems to be complete imo, the same like Unova will be in B2/W2.

So cant Emerald mix with RS. That generation started the "third version is the full story" thing.

Potential for more features depends on your imagination.
    There is nothing clearly missing in RS or DP. For GS there was tons of excluded things because of limited space (Viridian Forest, Seafoam islands, Power Plant).

Rocket launching in space center wouldnt add anything except for the scene itself, while adding stuff that wasnt there is just as reasonable as it is for any game.

You could with the same logic say that DP could have more islands and more features like poketch... and a Manaphy event at some beach..

Dont get me wrong, Im not saying we should never go back to Hoenn, just that it was perfectly fine and finished. A nice complete adventure, especially with how Emerald filled everything left, like a proper cave in the volcano for the Magma base.

If they want Hoenn to be interesting in a new game they will have to ADD NEW THINGS, because a bland remake won't have much to improve at all. Do you really just want a graphical upgrade and seeing the rocket launch?

Which brings me to what Ive said above.

Diamond & Pearl are fine as they are, Ruby & Sapphire aren't in terms of graphics, events etc. The only games in need of a remake are Pokémon Ruby & Sapphire.

You realize that once the next generation arrives DPtBW will not be "fine" in terms of graphics either, right?

RSE feel and look perfect for what they were meant to be IMO.
    I doubt gamefreak had many thoughs along the lines of "geez I wish we could have done this and that but the current graphics make it impossible"

Wouldnt you rather they put the original RSE on the 3DS e-shop AND released Hoenn based sequels as new games instead?

Last edited:

Otherworld9)

Bard of Rage
    Years
  • The only one I'm willing to buy is remakes for Hoenn. The only reason I see the remakes useful is from a new handheld, or if they really had a good idea to add that wont make it so bland. You'd be surprised what they can come up with next.

Years
    • Age 40
    • Seen Jun 4, 2014
    I hope not.

I'd like to see them make two huge games with all 5 regions and all 649(+) Pokemon included wherein you can start in whichever region and choose a starter from that region's starter list and make it worthwhile to conquer the 4 Pokemon leagues. Hell, release it on the Nintendo Wii-U and I'll go out of my way to buy a Wii-U just to play it (and I'm saying that while having no plans to ever get one).

Years
  • Junichi Masuda confirmed that R/S remakes will be made. :3 I just hope they're fantastically amazing. I really wish that they could expand on the region a bit. I mean, I know it's an island, but there's something that they could do, right? XD

Years
    • Seen Jan 13, 2013
    So cant Emerald mix with RS. That generation started the "third version is the full story" thing.

Potential for more features depends on your imagination.
    There is nothing clearly missing in RS or DP. For GS there was tons of excluded things because of limited space (Viridian Forest, Seafoam islands, Power Plant).

I said that already in R/S remakes thread, but you probably haven't read that, so I will say that again. Storylines of R/S can be mixed with Emerald. It's technically possible. R/S/E are the last set of games with that possibility. After Rayquaza stops the fight between Groudon and Kyogre, one of them (depending on your version) can escape to Cave of Origin, where would must be battled. Emerald lacks of obligatory fight with legendary, so that idea put in remakes would make original Emerald's story even more complete.

Jirachi event is something clearly missing in R/S/E. Deoxys event too, Meteor Falls is perfect place for Deoxys event. I guess in R/S remakes, it could be the place where Deoxys would change forms.

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2023
    Junichi Masuda confirmed that R/S remakes will be made. :3 I just hope they're fantastically amazing. I really wish that they could expand on the region a bit. I mean, I know it's an island, but there's something that they could do, right? XD

No he hasn't. He never said they were working on the remakes. He thanked a fan for liking a game that he had close relation with. They never confirmed Remakes for Generation 3.

RivalGator

I hate them all.
    Years
  • I will play them. I couldn't help but find HG SS just a little disappointing, but not enough that I would lose faith in Nintendo. I would like to see them remake Hoenn.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
  • I'll play them no matter what. I already played Generation 1 remakes, and already played Generation 2 remakes and if RSE remakes do happen, I'd so totally plan to buy them, even if I'm not a huge fan of Hoenn or Generation 3. I'll get used to the changes made in the future games, it won't be a huge problem for me.

Years
    • Seen Sep 16, 2013
    Firstly, if they actually do announce remakes for R/S/E I will cry tears of joy since Gen 3 was my favourite generation of all time.

Second, if in the case that they decide to combine aspects of Emerald into the remade Ruby and Sapphire, they'd have to make it so that it'd be like HG/SS in the way that implimented aspects of Crystal into it.

Especially since Gen 3 has many things I'd love to see put into the remakes especially secret bases and the many MANY legendaries that R/S/E had.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • I can't get into the minds of the developers, but logic dictates that as long as they can make money off them, they will most likely make them. Once a remake fails to sell in the marketplace, you can probably kiss future remakes goodbye.

As for me, I might buy remakes in the future, but definitely not the next ones. I have no interest in playing through Hoenn again. I just don't like the region. Now, if remakes of D/P are announced "X" number of years down the road, I'll be all over them.

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    I think remakes will continue until Game Freak changes up the general formula for the games. If Game Freak decides that gen 6 will contain games with all the regions in it (wishful thinking, I know, but possible!) then there would be no reason to remake gen 3 (oh no!), gen 4, or any gen. It would also reduce the public want for a remake, so Game Freak would have no reason to continue. At the rate the games are progressing now, it could go either way.

That being said, I will continue to support all (main series) Pokemon games, remakes or not.

Back