• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Will Serena actually be in the sun and moon anime?

Alexander18

Banned
Years
  • Age 32
  • NZ
  • Seen Dec 29, 2017
Dawn is not coming to the show and there is no reason for her to return. The reason why they brought her back for Unova was to promote the Piplup line, and we don't need to see a repeat of that ever again. I do agree Serena's off screen kiss was kinda pointless, since the writer's didn't try to take it any further then that.
Can't say for certain. Dawn could come back. Or May. Or Misty. Or any male companion. Just not serena or iris please.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Mar 14, 2019
Can't say for certain. Dawn could come back. Or May. Or Misty. Or any male companion. Just not serena or iris please.

I don't see any of the past female characters coming back. Serena have no good reason to make a cameo re-appearance.

Alexander18

Banned
Years
  • Age 32
  • NZ
  • Seen Dec 29, 2017
I don't see any of the past female characters coming back. Serena have no good reason to make a cameo re-appearance.
We will see. There are occasions where a companion comes back. But that could not happen this time.

CodeHelmet

Banned
Years
As much as some fans dislike Serena, I thought she wasn't that bad of a character. I felt her chemistry with Ash was relatively solid, had a backstory that previous Pokegirls lacked and even though this anime is aimed for kids, kids are exposed to romance at a relatively early age(hence their decision not to show it was shortsighted in my eyes. Not like Ash getting kissed is a daily affair anyway).

As for Serena returning, she had the shortest amount of time in the anime at 140 Episodes. Iris beat her by a hair at 142 Episodes while Dawn, May and Misty each had at least another season to their belt before heading off on their separate ways. You would think that with her popularity and the shortest amount of air time that it would be a slam dunk decision. Problem is that there are several factors going against it, not the least of which is that Sun and Moon has three Pokegirls. With three in the show, odds of them bringing back past characters are very slim. Especially considering that when Ash has been fishing that he hasn't even mentioned the old Misty lure(which he's done in the past and makes one wonder if Sun&Moon is an alternate timeline like their new 20th anniversary movie... like I really need another Zelda reference).

Alexander18

Banned
Years
  • Age 32
  • NZ
  • Seen Dec 29, 2017
As much as some fans dislike Serena, I thought she wasn't that bad of a character. I felt her chemistry with Ash was relatively solid, had a backstory that previous Pokegirls lacked and even though this anime is aimed for kids, kids are exposed to romance at a relatively early age(hence their decision not to show it was shortsighted in my eyes. Not like Ash getting kissed is a daily affair anyway).

As for Serena returning, she had the shortest amount of time in the anime at 140 Episodes. Iris beat her by a hair at 142 Episodes while Dawn, May and Misty each had at least another season to their belt before heading off on their separate ways. You would think that with her popularity and the shortest amount of air time that it would be a slam dunk decision.

What chemistry? There was no chemistry. Ash did not like her that way. They are too young. Also i disagree with you. Kids are not aware of romance in anime or elsewhere. If they were, then that is just plain wrong and the adults should be ashamed of themselves.

Serena was a bad character. Her goal was boring and they added the repulsive crush thing into the mix. I don't really care that she had the shortest amount of time in anime. I just don't want her back.

So serena should not be back. It can be any male companion, misty, may or dawn. Those are suitable candiates to return.

Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2020
What chemistry? There was no chemistry. Ash did not like her that way. They are too young. Also i disagree with you. Kids are not aware of romance in anime or elsewhere. If they were, then that is just plain wrong and the adults should be ashamed of themselves.

Serena was a bad character. Her goal was boring and they added the repulsive crush thing into the mix. I don't really care that she had the shortest amount of time in anime. I just don't want her back.

So serena should not be back. It can be any male companion, misty, may or dawn. Those are suitable candiates to return.

Agreed with you regarding Serena, though not with May and Dawn (mostly because they literally would be left with nothing to do in Alola since there's no Pok?mon Contests, and I really don't want a repeat of what happened with Dawn in Best Wishes where they brought her in despite her having zero business in Unova in the first place as it lacks contests and thus had zero relevancy to her goal regarding contests whatsoever). In fact, with Misty, she'd have plenty to work with in Alola just from it being a water-based environment alone, and even Iris at least can find new Dragon types, both of which would be instrumental to their goals. Not to mention since research is implied to be fundamental to their goals as well, such an environment won't hamper them like it did Ash.

And as far as male companions, since Brock's a doctor now, he can help with providing first aid to Pok?mon and teaching the various students about first-aid, thus giving him far more of a use than he ever had before then, and even Tracey is more than welcome to join up largely because, being an actual assistant to a regional Pok?mon Professor (heck, an aide to the Alolan Oak's own relative as a matter of fact) would be invaluable in teaching kids about the duties of being an aide to a professor. I'm not sure Cilan's conniseur goal is at all appropriate for children, so he may get a pass (mostly because I don't think showing kids drinking alcohol would set a good example for the audience), and for Clemont, well, he would work as an engineering teacher, but he's more focused on the gym right now (and unlike Misty, is actually enjoying the experience).

Overall, Serena has zero reason to return, and as you implied in that post, having Serena return if anything would result in even more negativity towards Serena since it would imply she threw away her goal just to be with Ash, and there was already enough controversy as it is regarding Serena being lovestruck in a pointless manner as it is (say what you will about Pokeshipping, at least there it was done in a way that actually CAN be realistically expected from 10 year olds).

CodeHelmet

Banned
Years

I won't get into an argument on whether Serena was a good character or not. We all have our opinions and stances but I will say this. XY was nearly a carbon copy of Advanced Generations(Hoenn) with Serena acting as a more timid/shy version of May with a romantic backstory but had such slow character development that for the first 40 Episodes, people wondered(myself included) if Serena added anything to the show at all. If you think its ok to bring May back, then by comparison, Serena should at least be in consideration due to their similar character starts(both had no clue what they wanted to do).

Kids not aware of romance? Then what has Disney been feeding kids all these years with Prince Charming and all the Princess dolls? Heck other animated shows tailored towards kids have had romance or adult themes that completely go over kid's heads. Just because they may not understand it doesn't mean they shouldn't be exposed to it. Heck I could argue that the romantic arc of XY was a bone towards Pokemon's older audience.

Anyways, with regards to Sun and Moon and the topic at hand, I don't think anyone, much less Serena is coming back. Too many characters are fighting for the spotlight on any given Episode and bringing in past characters only exacerbates that problem(not to mention coming up with a rational reason for the characters to be in the region).

Alexander18

Banned
Years
  • Age 32
  • NZ
  • Seen Dec 29, 2017
I won't get into an argument on whether Serena was a good character or not. We all have our opinions and stances but I will say this. XY was nearly a carbon copy of Advanced Generations(Hoenn) with Serena acting as a more timid/shy version of May with a romantic backstory but had such slow character development that for the first 40 Episodes, people wondered(myself included) if Serena added anything to the show at all. If you think its ok to bring May back, then by comparison, Serena should at least be in consideration due to their similar character starts(both had no clue what they wanted to do).

Kids not aware of romance? Then what has Disney been feeding kids all these years with Prince Charming and all the Princess dolls? Heck other animated shows tailored towards kids have had romance or adult themes that completely go over kid's heads. Just because they may not understand it doesn't mean they shouldn't be exposed to it. Heck I could argue that the romantic arc of XY was a bone towards Pokemon's older audience.

Anyways, with regards to Sun and Moon and the topic at hand, I don't think anyone, much less Serena is coming back. Too many characters are fighting for the spotlight on any given Episode and bringing in past characters only exacerbates that problem(not to mention coming up with a rational reason for the characters to be in the region).

XY was far from being a carbon copy. Disney and anything aimed at kids should not include romance. That is illegal as far as i am concern.

Anyway i disagree about no one returning. Misty, May or Dawn can reappear. Nothing stops them.

Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2020
XY was far from being a carbon copy. Disney and anything aimed at kids should not include romance. That is illegal as far as i am concern.

Anyway i disagree about no one returning. Misty, May or Dawn can reappear. Nothing stops them.

I agree that Misty should return and there's nothing stopping her from doing so. However, there is one thing stopping May and Dawn, and that's the fact that Alola has no contests (and quite frankly, it was stupid to bring Dawn in for BW for that reason, since it has absolutely no relevancy to her goal whatsoever.).

As far as Disney and romance, I honestly don't get your issue with romance. At least the people doing the romance there were adults, or at least in their mid-to-late teens, AND they presumably waited until marriage anyways, not to mention they certainly didn't act inappropriately there most of the time (only exception I can think of was Lumiere and the featherduster). I can understand your complaints about Serena and Ash because they're 10 years old, far too young to even think about stuff like that (and in the case of Serena, certainly too young to act like one of the triplets from BATB), and I can also understand your complaints about Brock doing that, because that also is inappropriate, but refusing to show romance at all? Sorry, but kids shows have romance all the time, they generally tone it down to G stuff (Serena, though, is closer to PG-13).

And in any case, the fact that there are no showcases or contests in Alola means Serena doesn't have any reason to return either, since it won't jive with her goals.

Last edited:

Alexander18

Banned
Years
  • Age 32
  • NZ
  • Seen Dec 29, 2017
I agree that Misty should return and there's nothing stopping her from doing so. However, there is one thing stopping May and Dawn, and that's the fact that Alola has no contests (and quite frankly, it was stupid to bring Dawn in for BW for that reason, since it has absolutely no relevancy to her goal whatsoever.).

As far as Disney and romance, I honestly don't get your issue with romance. At least the people doing the romance there were adults, or at least in their mid-to-late teens, AND they presumably waited until marriage anyways, not to mention they certainly didn't act inappropriately there most of the time (only exception I can think of was Lumiere and the featherduster). I can understand your complaints about Serena and Ash because they're 10 years old, far too young to even think about stuff like that (and in the case of Serena, certainly too young to act like one of the triplets from BATB), and I can also understand your complaints about Brock doing that, because that also is inappropriate, but refusing to show romance at all? Sorry, but kids shows have romance all the time, they generally tone it down to G stuff (Serena, though, is closer to PG-13).

And in any case, the fact that there are no showcases or contests in Alola means Serena doesn't have any reason to return either, since it won't jive with her goals.

I still don't like it. They should keep that out of anime in my opinion. Also May and Dawn could just be visiting to see Ash. They don't need to go there just for their goal. Same for misty.

Also i don't have an issue with brock because he gets punished by max or croagunk when he steps out of line.

Anyway Serena is one of the two companions that should not return. The other is iris.

Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2020
I still don't like it. They should keep that out of anime in my opinion. Also May and Dawn could just be visiting to see Ash. They don't need to go there just for their goal. Same for misty.

Also i don't have an issue with brock because he gets punished by max or croagunk when he steps out of line.

Anyway Serena is one of the two companions that should not return. The other is iris.

Regarding May and Dawn, if Ash doesn't stop whatever he's doing and visit his friends in the middle of his journey in the current region, why should they do that? The only reason I tolerate it with Misty and Iris is because her sisters already forced her out of her actual goal against her will anyways (not to mention there is no regional limit to their goals, unlike with Coordinator goals, where they are limited for the first four regions).

And Serena really has no reason to return anyways, for the same reason why May and Dawn don't.

Alexander18

Banned
Years
  • Age 32
  • NZ
  • Seen Dec 29, 2017
Regarding May and Dawn, if Ash doesn't stop whatever he's doing and visit his friends in the middle of his journey in the current region, why should they do that? The only reason I tolerate it with Misty and Iris is because her sisters already forced her out of her actual goal against her will anyways (not to mention there is no regional limit to their goals, unlike with Coordinator goals, where they are limited for the first four regions).

And Serena really has no reason to return anyways, for the same reason why May and Dawn don't.
Iris was a nightmare in the unova series. May and dawn has a good chance of returning as much as misty.

Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2020
Iris was a nightmare in the unova series. May and dawn has a good chance of returning as much as misty.

May and Dawn actually don't, because unlike Misty, where there IS no limit to her goal, certainly no regional limit, May and Dawn DO have regional limits to their goals (same deal with Serena, if I must state it, since now she has May and Dawn's goal). And since Alola doesn't have contests, they have zero reason to be in that region (and even if Alola DID have contests, they'd still need some extrenuating circumstances to go to Alola in the middle of their current trek. May at least had the excuse of the Wallace Cup). And considering May and Dawn ranked even LOWER than Misty in that Japanese poll, they actually have even LESS chances of appearing than Misty, who ranks third (only Serena and Brock rank higher than her).

And for the record, if it means seeing how far she progressed in her goal, I'd accept Iris in even IF I had as much hatred of her as you do.

Alexander18

Banned
Years
  • Age 32
  • NZ
  • Seen Dec 29, 2017
May and Dawn actually don't, because unlike Misty, where there IS no limit to her goal, certainly no regional limit, May and Dawn DO have regional limits to their goals (same deal with Serena, if I must state it, since now she has May and Dawn's goal). And since Alola doesn't have contests, they have zero reason to be in that region (and even if Alola DID have contests, they'd still need some extrenuating circumstances to go to Alola in the middle of their current trek. May at least had the excuse of the Wallace Cup). And considering May and Dawn ranked even LOWER than Misty in that Japanese poll, they actually have even LESS chances of appearing than Misty, who ranks third (only Serena and Brock rank higher than her).

And for the record, if it means seeing how far she progressed in her goal, I'd accept Iris in even IF I had as much hatred of her as you do.
I don't hate iris but her developmemt and catchphrase ruined her character in the anime for me.

And no, i do not believe may and dawn are limited to their own regions.

Serena is limited to kalos though so thankfully she is staying there.

Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2020
I don't hate iris but her developmemt and catchphrase ruined her character in the anime for me.

And no, i do not believe may and dawn are limited to their own regions.

Serena is limited to kalos though so thankfully she is staying there.

No, not their OWN regions, just limited to Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, and Sinnoh, since that's where contests are. In other words, they'd have no business in Unova, Kalos, or Alola. Now, if Ash were to revisit Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, and/or Sinnoh in the future, by all means, have them return, or even have Serena appear there, since at least there, them returning would make sense.

And as far as Serena, you DO realize that at the end of XY, she left for Hoenn to pursue Contests, right? That means that as of now, she's limited to Hoenn, Kanto, Johto, and Sinnoh. Not that it makes any difference, because either way, there's little chance she'll appear in Alola as it is since it lacks contests.

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Feb 25, 2018
Besides the lack of contests/showcases in Alola, why are they limited to their locations? The writers could put anyone in at any time if they really want to. Alola is a place for vacations, so anybody could go there to go on vacation. If any of them found out Ash was there, then the purpose to visit would be to see Ash.

Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2020
Besides the lack of contests/showcases in Alola, why are they limited to their locations? The writers could put anyone in at any time if they really want to. Alola is a place for vacations, so anybody could go there to go on vacation. If any of them found out Ash was there, then the purpose to visit would be to see Ash.

Did Ash ever visit them and, more importantly, literally put his goals on hold half-way through his current trek in a region for him to do so? No? Then why should they do that? As far as I'm concerned, if Ash isn't going to do it, then neither should the other characters, hence another reason for the regional limit. I mean, when did Ash EVER visit May and Iris in Johto during his trek in Sinnoh and Kalos? When did he EVER visit Dawn in Hoenn during his trek in Unova? The same goes for Serena as well. Now, with Misty and Iris, their goals AREN'T limited to regions, and in the case of the former, going to Alola would aid her goal far more than at Cerulean gym (especially when she didn't even like that area). And I'd say the same for the likes of Brock and Cilan as well, heck, even Clemont and Bonnie.

Alexander18

Banned
Years
  • Age 32
  • NZ
  • Seen Dec 29, 2017
No, not their OWN regions, just limited to Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, and Sinnoh, since that's where contests are. In other words, they'd have no business in Unova, Kalos, or Alola. Now, if Ash were to revisit Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, and/or Sinnoh in the future, by all means, have them return, or even have Serena appear there, since at least there, them returning would make sense.

And as far as Serena, you DO realize that at the end of XY, she left for Hoenn to pursue Contests, right? That means that as of now, she's limited to Hoenn, Kanto, Johto, and Sinnoh. Not that it makes any difference, because either way, there's little chance she'll appear in Alola as it is since it lacks contests.
I forgot that serena went to hoenn but she was never important enough for me to keep track on what she does.

I don't believe in the limits. Companions can come no matter how small the chance is. Writers want them back then so be it. It is out of our hands.

Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2020
I forgot that serena went to hoenn but she was never important enough for me to keep track on what she does.

I don't believe in the limits. Companions can come no matter how small the chance is. Writers want them back then so be it. It is out of our hands.

Yeah, well, I never cared one way or another for Serena myself, she was just there, and at worst, I was merely annoyed that her existence basically conflicted with how Gary, Misty, and Molly were friends of Ashs as a kid. However, I make it my business to know exactly what transpired, so yeah, she's gone to Hoenn.

As far as limits, care to explain why Ash, I don't know, leaves mid-travel through a region to pay a visit to his friends in another region (like, I don't know, him randomly going to Hoenn to meet up with either Dawn or Serena shortly after getting his fourth badge or something, or likewise with Johto for May and Iris)? Technically, there's nothing stopping him from doing that either, no limitations. If he doesn't do it with his friends, we shouldn't expect his friends to do the same thing for him, even if there WERE contests in Alola. Hence, why May, Dawn, and Serena have much smaller chances of reappearing.

Alexander18

Banned
Years
  • Age 32
  • NZ
  • Seen Dec 29, 2017
Yeah, well, I never cared one way or another for Serena myself, she was just there, and at worst, I was merely annoyed that her existence basically conflicted with how Gary, Misty, and Molly were friends of Ashs as a kid. However, I make it my business to know exactly what transpired, so yeah, she's gone to Hoenn.

As far as limits, care to explain why Ash, I don't know, leaves mid-travel through a region to pay a visit to his friends in another region (like, I don't know, him randomly going to Hoenn to meet up with either Dawn or Serena shortly after getting his fourth badge or something, or likewise with Johto for May and Iris)? Technically, there's nothing stopping him from doing that either, no limitations. If he doesn't do it with his friends, we shouldn't expect his friends to do the same thing for him, even if there WERE contests in Alola. Hence, why May, Dawn, and Serena have much smaller chances of reappearing.
True that ash doesn't go visiting but it doesn't have to stop the others from visiting him. But we have to wait and see. If for the whole region, there is no older companion returning then that is that. Expectations can be low but it is not impossible either.

Back