• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Will we ever get starters that AREN'T Grass/Fire/Water?

bwburke94

Forever Aspertia's Aspie
    Years
    The thing with Fire/Water/Grass is that all 3 types resist themselves, if I remember correctly. The triangle IS broken by evolutions (Empoleon takes normal damage from Fire and Grass, but is weak to both other starters' secondary types.) Flying/Rock/Fighting could be the same way if the Flying gains the Steel-type, just like Empoleon did.

PaxAmericana

Resident Peacekeeper
    Years
    most likely that will never happen, because Fire/Water/Grass trio is the thing they have done to starters since Kanto, I seriously doubt that would happen

Giraffe

キリンリキ
    Years
    Fire/Water/Grass starters are also a good, simple starting point for people who are new to the game.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
    I do not think it will ever happen. Like others have said,Fire,Water,and Grass are the basic pokemon in all pokemon games.

Apostrophe

Everybody do the search dance!
    Years
    • Seen Nov 10, 2010
    Changing toe Grass/Fire/Water thing would be thinking too small. What they should do something is to stop recycling the same storyline they have been using for the past five generations now.

You mysteriously always start out in the same town as a professor who is more than willing to give you a Pokemon that can never be caught anywhere else. You are sent across the region with a Pokedex, seeking eight gym badges and the championship. Along the way, you meet a villanous team that you defeat over and over. You finally quell and disband them between your 7th and 8th badge. You fight your way through the league and fight the champion who is usually somebody you've seen before, and then they induct you into the hall of fame.

Why change the types of starters when you can get rid of starters altogether? What about a Pokemon game where you have to catch things yourself (like in a safari zone), where things aren't always handed to you?

redsaber5859

Banned
    Years
    I love you-completely agreed with your cause
    how about "Here son, go outside and catch yourself a Pokémon!" Instead of "OH HAI STRANGER U WANT ONE OF MY RAREST POKES????? OKEY HERE U GO AND ALSO TAKE MY EXPENSIVE POKEDEX"

Masterge77

Robot Mienshao
    Years
    Unless Gray/Grimson/Whatever has a diffrent Pokemon for the starter (most likely Zorua), it will continue to be Grass/Fire/Water, and they BETTER not make the Gen 6 Fire starter Fire/Fighting, or I will be really mad at their unoriginality on Fire starters for the last 3 generations.....

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
    Changing toe Grass/Fire/Water thing would be thinking too small. What they should do something is to stop recycling the same storyline they have been using for the past five generations now.

You mysteriously always start out in the same town as a professor who is more than willing to give you a Pokemon that can never be caught anywhere else. You are sent across the region with a Pokedex, seeking eight gym badges and the championship. Along the way, you meet a villanous team that you defeat over and over. You finally quell and disband them between your 7th and 8th badge. You fight your way through the league and fight the champion who is usually somebody you've seen before, and then they induct you into the hall of fame.

Why change the types of starters when you can get rid of starters altogether? What about a Pokemon game where you have to catch things yourself (like in a safari zone), where things aren't always handed to you?

I've heard a saying once that related to this somehow...how did it go again? Oh yea, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Granted those are some pretty spiffy ideas, they would feel more at home in a spinoff than the main series. ;P

Apostrophe

Everybody do the search dance!
    Years
    • Seen Nov 10, 2010
    Actually, the saying doesn't apply here because the repetitiveness is making the games rather broken. It is especially out of place in Generation V, which is widely hailed as a "reset of the series" where most people I know (including myself) just saw "same ****, different Pokemon".

bOxieLiciOus

not here 4 lipsyncing
    Years
    • Seen Feb 16, 2011
    it would be totally amazing, but to be certain, it would never happen. grass, fire and water are the basic elements for starters. ''>

Agent Clank

Bye PC
    Years
    • Seen Jan 11, 2011
    Even though it'd be awesome, It most likely won't happen.
    Plus, I like these kind of types as starters.

Years
    Dark is immune to Psychic whereas the other two are only resistant to their respective types. Not a true perfect triangle. :P
    The triangle doesn't have to be perfect. Considering that stats and movepool make certain pokemon more effective that others regardless. Take into account the secondary typing from Gen IV and you have unbalanced triangles anyway. I still support a Psychic/Dark/Fighting setup.

Nevertheless, Black and White have dumped a few of the stupid retained ideas, such as the TM breakage.

Have you play Colosseum and XD? They basically dump the old idea and it really works well. Neither were perfect, but they made things interesting. They need to follow that idea on the 3DS, but without the constant double battles.

I also think Nintendo needs to start looking at some of the ideas in these hacks. You get non-standard stories, starters, characters (with personality).

Back