• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Win 10] How to setup decompilation with no effort

Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2024
    this is awesome but i have a question what if you have a folder you just want to fix with your tool? is that possible? like modify a existing file you already made, and might need fixing on?

Well, actually the tool doesn't have a "fix file system", then, that's not possible. Anyway, it could be very hard to do a tool which finds and fix any kind of error, due to there'll be some cases where it would be a subjective decission which nowadays, just humans can deal with.

If you want to actually fix the dev-tools needed to compile the project, then, yes, you can use the tool with this purpose. What you have to do is first of all, make sure you have your project up to date in your repository, then, you can simply remove your local folder, and do a clean setup with the tool, and should be enough to fix any kind of dev-tool failure.

I hope I've solved your question :D

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jul 27, 2023
    I followed this tutorial and everything went fine on the initial setup, it even build the initial pokefirered.gba file successfully. But now no matter what I do to try and make that file again to test the first changes I've made to a file I get this error:

/bin/bash: arm-none-eabi-as: command not found
    make[1]: *** [Makefile:275: build/firered/src/field_specials.o] Error 127
    make: *** [Makefile:193: compare] Error 2

But if this was going to be a problem shouldn't it have prevented the initial make as well? So clearly I'm doing something wrong, but I have no idea what.

ellabrella

PKMN Trainer
    Years
    • She/It
    • Seen Apr 17, 2024
    I followed this tutorial and everything went fine on the initial setup, it even build the initial pokefirered.gba file successfully. But now no matter what I do to try and make that file again to test the first changes I've made to a file I get this error:

But if this was going to be a problem shouldn't it have prevented the initial make as well? So clearly I'm doing something wrong, but I have no idea what.

i've seen this problem before and i think it's a problem with the setup tool itself. i'm not experienced enough with linux to say for sure, tho, or where it's going wrong.

could you try running the command:

Code:
    sudo apt install build-essential binutils-arm-none-eabi git libpng-dev

and see what happens?

Years
    • Seen Jul 27, 2023
    i've seen this problem before and i think it's a problem with the setup tool itself. i'm not experienced enough with linux to say for sure, tho, or where it's going wrong.

could you try running the command:

Code:
    sudo apt install build-essential binutils-arm-none-eabi git libpng-dev

and see what happens?

This does seem to have resolved the issue, thank you!

Years
    • Seen Nov 26, 2023
    I followed this, trying to compile https://github.com/rh-hideout/pokeemerald-expansion but every time I end up with this (even on clean setup):
    ./decomp-setup.sh: line 142: cd: agbcc: No such file or directory
    ./decomp-setup.sh: line 143: ./build.sh: No such file or directory
    ./decomp-setup.sh: line 144: ./install.sh: No such file or directory
    Also tried bulding the normal version, I get erros. On clean setup, it's:
    In file included from src/gym_leader_rematch.c:1:
    include/global.h:4:10: fatal error: string.h: No such file or directory
    4 | #include <string.h>
    | ^~~~~~~~~~
    In file included from src/fldeff_dig.c:1:
    4 | #include <string.h>
    | ^~~~~~~~~~
    compilation terminated.
    compilation terminated.
    make: *** [Makefile:337: build/emerald/src/gym_leader_rematch.o] Error 127
    make: *** [Makefile:337: build/emerald/src/fldeff_dig.o] Error 127

Last edited:

Lunos

Random Uruguayan User
    Years
  • I followed this, trying to compile https://github.com/rh-hideout/pokeemerald-expansion but every time I end up with this (even on clean setup):
    ./decomp-setup.sh: line 142: cd: agbcc: No such file or directory
    ./decomp-setup.sh: line 143: ./build.sh: No such file or directory
    ./decomp-setup.sh: line 144: ./install.sh: No such file or directory
    What is that ./decomp-setup.sh file? Neither clean Pokeemerald nor the Pokeemerald-expansion have a script like that.
    EDIT: This is what happens when you check multiple threads at the same time, lmao. Still, IK's tool does not build the Pokeemerald-expansion. It can't automatically solve merge conflicts. No tool could such a thng reliably.

Anyway, it seems that the agbcc folder is not present wherever you're trying to access it from.
    What cd does is to enter a folder that is currently present inside the folder that your terminal is looking at a given time.
    Also tried bulding the normal version, I get erros. On clean setup, it's:
    In file included from src/gym_leader_rematch.c:1:
    4 | #include <string.h>
    | ^~~~~~~~~~
    In file included from src/fldeff_dig.c:1:
    4 | #include <string.h>
    | ^~~~~~~~~~
    compilation terminated.
    compilation terminated.
    make: *** [Makefile:337: build/emerald/src/gym_leader_rematch.o] Error 127
    make: *** [Makefile:337: build/emerald/src/fldeff_dig.o] Error 127
    Without installing agbcc's binaries into a decomp project's folder (./build.sh and ./install.sh ../name_of_your_projects_folder_one_level_above), you can't build the decomps.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jul 15, 2022
    So once we do the initial setup and make our changes etc, how do we build from there?
    Surely we don't need to make a git, download it all and then build it again right?
    The app wants an empty folder each time tho which is confusing....

Edit: Seems you need to navigate to the decomp folder in ubuntu and then run "make -j#" where # is your number of cores on your CPU

Last edited:
    Years
  • how do you install pret/agbcc?
    i'm not finding any sort of release or something like an .exe .
    people have said that agbcc is necessary for the decomp setup, but i can't figure out how to install it because nothing on it's github is labelled...
    should mention - i'm on windows!

ellabrella

PKMN Trainer
    Years
    • She/It
    • Seen Apr 17, 2024
    how do you install pret/agbcc?
    i'm not finding any sort of release or something like an .exe .
    people have said that agbcc is necessary for the decomp setup, but i can't figure out how to install it because nothing on it's github is labelled...
    should mention - i'm on windows!

this tool should install agbcc as part of its setup process. agbcc is necessary to compile the rom, so, if you followed the tutorial in the main post and ended up with a compiled rom, agbcc must have been installed to your repo.

if you are looking to install it manually for whatever reason, the install instructions are part of install.md for the pokeemerald repo: https://github.com/pret/pokeemerald/blob/master/INSTALL.md

basically, you open the agbcc folder in your WSL terminal or similar, and you run the command
    Code:
    ./build.sh

followed by
    Code:
    ./install.sh ../(your hack's folder name)

make sure your hack's folder and agbcc's folder are both in the same folder.

Years
  • hm, looks like i wasn't having the issue i thought i was having, then...
    i thought i had to install it manually, because i kept having errors like this
    unknown.png

unknown.png

and looking up that "missing" file led me to it...
    do you know what's going on here, and how to fix this?

ellabrella

PKMN Trainer
    Years
    • She/It
    • Seen Apr 17, 2024
    tough to say for sure, but it seems to me like maybe the packages you need aren't installed? i'm not sure what terminal you're using so i don't know the exact steps, but try looking thru the install instructions i linked earlier. at some point in the steps for your particular terminal it'll explain what packages you need and how to install them.

edit: hang on, i think i've misunderstood a bit - i'm guessing this screenshot is using the setup tool from the OP, not a terminal you've set up yourself? if the tool isn't working for you, then unfortunately i'm not sure how to salvage it, so you could try the whole decomp setup manually using the aforementioned instructions.

Last edited:

Lunos

Random Uruguayan User
    Years
  • I should have mentioned this some time ago, but I kept forgetting.

This tool is pretty much deprecated in its current state.
    I told Inmortal/Kaktus/InmortalKaktus about how devkitPro's developers changed its method of installation (which is more than likely the problem you're currently dealing with, as evidenced by how your terminal cannot find its tools such as arm-none-eabi-as) not too long ago in the Spanish community that we both came from, and what he said is:
    Inmortal said:
    I'm a bit out right now and not currently supporting the tool, which I created so that the people that made use of it had the option to adapt it manually by themselves.
    If you check its files, you'll see a .sh script that can be modified in which you can see every command executed by the program. Whoever needs o sees fit to modify that script can do it and upload it over here, as long as the modified script complies with the overall goal of the tool which is to facilitate setting up an environment for the decomps, and as long as it doesn't compromise the security of any user that downloads and uses it.
    Source.

Lunos

Random Uruguayan User
    Years
  • are there any up to date tools already available? i'm not too tech savvy, and i'm not sure if i could actually fix the tool myself
    i'll try, but... i'm just not sure i'll actually be able to
    There aren't alternatives to this one, no.
    You either follow its .sh script, or follow the process to clone and build Pokeemerald manually.

Years
    • Seen Feb 1, 2023

ETA: I'm dumb and didn't see there was a page 2 of this thread, but still think this is relevant, so I'll leave it here.

I know this is an old thread, but wanted to drop some info here relevant to this error in case anyone else runs into it while using this great tool. So at least on a clean setup, early on I got the following errors:

Err:1 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu focal InRelease
    Temporary failure resolving 'archive.ubuntu.com'
    Err:2 http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu focal-security InRelease
    Temporary failure resolving 'security.ubuntu.com'
    Err:3 http://ppa.launchpad.net/team-gcc-arm-embedded/ppa/ubuntu focal InRelease
    Temporary failure resolving 'ppa.launchpad.net'

I could recreate these errors when trying to add the repository that the arm* commands come from. Long story short, the owner of the repository requires these files to be downloaded directly from their site now instead of through the cmd line. As of this post, they can be found here: https://developer.arm.com/downloads/-/arm-gnu-toolchain-downloads. Download arm-gnu-toolchain-12.2.rel1-x86_64-arm-none-eabi.tar.xz. After moving the file into my Ubuntu environment using the mount point created when you installed Ubuntu, I navigated to the folder I moved the files to, then untarred the file with

tar xf arm-gnu-toolchain-12.2.rel1-x86_64-arm-none-eabi.tar.xz

I then copied arm-gnu-toolchain-12.2.rel1-x86_64-arm-none-eabi/arm-none-eabi-as to the /usr/bin directory with

sudo cp -p arm-gnu-toolchain-12.2.rel1-x86_64-arm-none-eabi/* /usr/bin

Also noticed that there was an error downloading devkitpro pacman 1.0.2, since https://github.com/devkitPro/pacman/releases/download/v1.0.2/devkitpro-pacman.amd64.deb gave a 404 error. Not sure how vital that is as the installer seemed to finish without error and the ROM was a functional FireRed copy at the end.

Last edited:
    Back