• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Windows Vista

Years
  • i have a couple of questions about it.
    1. what is it
    2. how do u get it
    3. is it free?
    4. is it compatable with ALL windows xp progs and crap
    5. will games run fine on it?
    6. will it run good on my 2.21 ghz 1gb ram computer?
    7. is it better than windows xp?
    ty

Alex The Great Master

Zeophyte in Eternal Exile
    Years
  • ... ew, 2.21 GHz.
    My computer has 1.8 GHz and it works fine. Never rely solely on processor speed.
    BTW, you need 2GB of RAM if you use a 64-bit processor, and one video-card with 256MB RAM (depends on what version of Vista ya use) to run Vista. And from what I know, it's just a beefed-up XP.

Years
  • i dont know im content with windows xp but i will be sure to get it and put it on 1 of my hard drives and i can get it free legally

Guest123_x1

And from what I know, it's just a beefed-up XP.
    More than likely typical latest bloatware coded specifically for the latest hyperthreading Pentium 4s and newer 64-bit processors, leaving more than 75% (as my guess) of the computer world behind. Add in all those memory hogging themes, visual styles, software-driven 3D rendering, DRM junk, proprietary WWW standardization, and other fluff like that, and you'll definietly need a new computer within less than a year!

Jesus Freak Josh

In my mind's eye, I see You...
    Years
  • h4Ck3R said:
    i have a couple of questions about it.
    1. what is it
    2. how do u get it
    3. is it free?
    4. is it compatable with ALL windows xp progs and crap
    5. will games run fine on it?
    6. will it run good on my 2.21 ghz 1gb ram computer?
    7. is it better than windows xp?
    ty

1. Crappy OS that will eat your RAM and kills your 3D accelerator.
    2. You don't. Leave before it is too late.
    3. You know Microsoft. >>
    4. Don't see why it wouldn't since it's almost the same thing as Windows XP just with 3D effects.
    5. They plan to release Halo 2, right?
    6. Don't see why it wouldn't as long as you have 3D accelerator. And KCR, what's wrong with 2 GHz? My AMD Athlon XP's only that far.
    7. Doubt it.

Stick with XP or, if you're poor, LINUX. :p Our household does NOT intend on getting this. My brother really wants to kill it. :p

Years
    • Seen Feb 16, 2020
    ^Or if you're willing to take the risk (which hardly is one), try out Mac OS X. :>

Alex The Great Master

Zeophyte in Eternal Exile
    Years
  • Why do I have to CARE about window redraws? Look the desktop, and it's basically the same as a XP desktop. It has the same start window, the same programs, the same OS basically. It may offer quite big improvements, but actually, it seems Bill Gates wants us to waste a lot more money than necessary when buying a OS that basically just consumes much more memory than the XP, which is basically what I consider best nowadays. Cuz XP is basically what we need, we don't need more bloatware to consume memory and have fancier graphics.

Years
    • Seen Feb 16, 2020
    Alex The Great Master said:
    Why do I have to CARE about window redraws? Look the desktop, and it's basically the same as a XP desktop. It has the same start window, the same programs, the same OS basically. It may offer quite big improvements, but actually, it seems Bill Gates wants us to waste a lot more money than necessary when buying a OS that basically just consumes much more memory than the XP, which is basically what I consider best nowadays. Cuz XP is basically what we need, we don't need more bloatware to consume memory and have fancier graphics.

Not many people think like that. This was taken from another board (link obviously not provided)

"I was not on for a day or two because I was trying to get Vista all set up on my system.....I am done now except for installing games!

Vista is really NICE! If anyone wants any screenshots of anything let me know and I will snap a few....Beta 2 is bug free! I have been using since Longhorn alpha stages but I am making the jump to using Vista as my primary OS now!

-Loker"

Saying that it's just a copy of XP isn't true. Yes, one of the most obvious differences is the GUI change, and the horrble resources-consuming size of the icons (x.x), but they didn't make it for no reason.

This Loker guy says it's bug free. We'll just have to wait and see. Of course we all know the fame of Windows being crap and all, but might this even be a rival to Apple? Again, we don't know, so we can't just presume that it's some lousy old copy of Windows XP.

Alex The Great Master said:
    ...we don't need more bloatware to consume memory and have fancier graphics.

Microsoft isn't stupid. Of course they put out a beta, but by the time that Vista is officially released with no betas at all, maybe it won't even be noticed as a memory hog. Not many PCs have only 32MB VRAM now.

...just like Windows Whistler. :0

Geometric-sama

The Manly Man of Steel
    Years
  • It's got a whole new desktop engine, which apparently will require decent graphics power. I'd say you can run it fine on anything around 2GHz or up as long as you have a good graphics card to go with that.

... I love my 6600GT.

Back